David Gilmour critiques Nick Mason's Saucer Full of Secrets

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

David Gilmour critiques Nick Mason's Saucer Full of Secrets

Post by space triangle »

The 76-year-old drummer has been touring with a supergroup including Guy Pratt, Lee Harris, Dom Beken and Spandau Ballet's Gary Kemp to perform Pink Floyd's early material, and he's aware his former bandmate has been studying them from afar.

Nick admitted: "David is definitely monitoring it. He's sent notes to Guy, suggestions about his singing or whatever.
"He's left me and my drumming alone, but he has done for the past 50 years.

https://www.music-news.com/news/Undergr ... ff-project
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Re: David Gilmour critiques Nick Mason's Saucer Full of Secrets

Post by Wolfpack »

Another quote:
"David and Roger [Waters] have both been very supportive."

So, what exactly is the criticism?
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

Wolfpack wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:37 pm Another quote:
"David and Roger [Waters] have both been very supportive."

So, what exactly is the criticism?
They may have initially supported Nick for the entire project, but obviously David is not completely satisfied now?
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

A critique can be positive advice. I assume that the 'critique' mentioned in the article is the advice that David sent Guy. I didn't notice anything else that could be it.

I do like this bit of the article. "Nick is hopeful that David will join the group on stage one day in the future." Yes, please. Particularly if it happens at De Montfort Hall in Leicester.
Kerry King
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Kerry King »

It's about time someone from pink floyd critiqued Guy.
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

You Guy.....I'll kick you out from the Nick's 'Saucer Full of Secrets' very soon! 8)

azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

click bait article
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

azza200 wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:32 am click bait article
As far as the article's headline is concerned, I agree. I see nothing suggesting that Dave is in any way against Nick's Saucerful of Secrets. What he is doing is being supportive.
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

The article's headline is clearly over the top. But, I can understand David if he isn't too much pleased with the vocals and singing. I do love the early psychedelic ambience of the Pink Floyd that Nick's ASoS evoked. But, I'm not the fan of their singing.

Just listen to the Fearless. The song is designed just for Dave Gilmour's voice. :-;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZXKgl8turY
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

space triangle wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:49 am The article's headline is clearly over the top. But, I can understand David if he isn't too much pleased with the vocals and singing. I do love the early psychedelic ambience of the Pink Floyd that Nick's ASoS evoked. But, I'm not the fan of their singing.
Where do you get that Dave isn't too much pleased with the vocals and singing? He's offered some advice. That doesn't mean that he's displeased.
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

Annoying Twit wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:51 am

Where do you get that Dave isn't too much pleased with the vocals and singing?
Well, that's the good question. Maybe it's just the word 'critiques' in the headline.... Plus that Guy is the bass player and VOCAL in the band and I just assumed Dave is not pleased with his vocal. That words 'He's sent notes to Guy, suggestions about his singing or whatever' sounded more as a critique to me. But, maybe I'm wrong. :smt102
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

space triangle wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:13 pm
Annoying Twit wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:51 am

Where do you get that Dave isn't too much pleased with the vocals and singing?
Well, that's the good question. Maybe it's just the word 'critiques' in the headline.... Plus that Guy is the bass player and VOCAL in the band and I just assumed Dave is not pleased with his vocal. That words 'He's sent notes to Guy, suggestions about his singing or whatever' sounded more as a critique to me. But, maybe I'm wrong. :smt102
I think Gary Kemp does more of the vocals, and I thought he did a good job of Fearless. It's not the same as Dave's original vocal, but I don't think that's a fault in itself. And, there will always be ways that performances can be improved. So giving advice does not imply dissatisfaction in my book.

I would describe the situation as Dave Gilmour giving some advice to Guy and Nick's Saucerful of Secrets. That to me is more accurate, and it puts things in a supportive light. Rather than Dave complaining about something, which I find the original article seems to imply it is.