The Final Lunacy, Royal Albert Hall, London 26th June 1969

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

The Final Lunacy, Royal Albert Hall, London 26th June 1969

Post by space triangle »

As I drink my morning coffee I listen to 'The Final Lunacy' show, Royal Albert Hall, London 26th June 1969. The show was the pinnacle of The Man & The Journey tour 1969. And, the one thing always intrigued me:

For the end of that show - 'The End Of The Beginning' - Pink Floyd used the brass section and the 'Royal Philharmonic Orchestra'. Finally they used a choir too. The ladies of the 'Ealing Central Amateur Choir' finished the the whole song and the show.

Every time I listen to this part of the show I can't avoid immediately the association and comparison with the Atom Heart Mother suite. I think Pink Floyd used a brass, a orchestra, and a choir much more effective and more beautiful here, than at the AHM suite. Although, the length here is only about the ten minutes.

Does anyone perhaps know if this part of ‘The Final Lunacy’ show inspired the Pink Floyd and Ron Gessin to use a brass, a orchestra, and a choir at the Atom Heart Mother suite?
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: The Final Lunacy, Royal Albert Hall, London 26th June 1969

Post by drafsack »

At the time of the show they were recording and mixing the non live side of UmmaGumma and that was followed up by recording sessions for Zabriskie Point. In January 1970 Nick Mason spent some time in the EMI recording sound effects that would appear on ZP as well as AHM. The actual recording of AHM didn't start until the 2nd March 1970. Pushing forward the idea of choir etc when the toured AHM and had the brass and choir with them there were occasions when the encored with Saucerfull and had the choir do the Celestial Voices section
twcc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: The Final Lunacy, Royal Albert Hall, London 26th June 1969

Post by twcc »

^^^
7.19-am was a bit early for me to dig out 'The Man and The Journey' recording from the Free Trade Hall on 22nd June 1969 ie four days before the RAH performance. Have now listened to the set and The End of the Beginning features, as expected, just the band members voices and no orchestra. The band appear to be going through the motions and the performance lacks a bit of spontaneity ... that said the set is hardly an upbeat piece but it was good to listen to again as I sorted another cupboard.

On a bit of a tangent this morning I have also watched the Anthony Stern rushes of the 'The Man and The Journey' rehearsal at the Royal Festival Hall on 14th April 1969 ... fantastic bit of playing by Rick on the 7,866 pipe Harrison & Harrison organ and well worth cranking up the volume even if the audio quality is not 10/10. The rushes also feature a 'suit' carrying a briefcase and what appears to be large format concert programme with band pictures etc. Also present are the band collecting their meals from the staff canteen before donning their military hats for the table scene at the start of the Corporal Clegg video.