Reality Z uses PF music

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Reality Z uses PF music

Post by Annoying Twit »

We've had posts about what if PF music was used in the film 2001.

I start watching the Brazilian Zombie TV series 'Reality Z' on Netflix, and right from the first second what do I hear in the background?

Fat Old Sun!!!

https://www.netflix.com/watch/81006723

BTW: Reality Z is based on Charlie Brooker's TV show Dead Set.
twcc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Reality Z uses PF music

Post by twcc »

We are sure watching some strange stuff during lockdown ... :-;
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

twcc wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:43 am We are sure watching some strange stuff during lockdown ... :-;
I'm now currently watching a DVD by PF tribute act 'Brit Floyd' that arrived in the post some minutes ago . Is that more normal? :D
twcc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by twcc »

I am still sorting out so it's audio only ... DVD's are too distracting. Current CD is 'Dark Side of the Moon' by Medicine Head ](*,)
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

twcc wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:30 pm I am still sorting out so it's audio only ... DVD's are too distracting. Current CD is 'Dark Side of the Moon' by Medicine Head ](*,)
A quick sample of that on Spotify suggests that this (DSotM by Medicinehead) is an unrelated song, not a cover album :)
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

Medicine Head - Dark Side of the Moon was released 1972

Dark Side of the Moon was released in 1972, the year before the Pink Floyd album of the same name. Pink Floyd briefly changed the name of their piece (which they were already performing live), to Eclipse, until the Medicine Head album turned out to be "a commercial flop".
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

Thanks. I think I had heard that story, about an album/track with a similar name, but hadn't made the connection in my head that it was Medicinehead.

I wonder if DSotM would have made the same impression if it was called 'Eclipse'.
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

Annoying Twit wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:53 pmI wonder if DSotM would have made the same impression if it was called 'Eclipse'.
I guess,no. The DSotM is much more powerful name, imo. But it would depend on what would be on the cover of the 'Eclipse' album? A prism or something completely different.
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

Annoying Twit wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:53 pmI wonder if DSotM would have made the same impression if it was called 'Eclipse'.
Btw, would A Momentary Lapse of Reason have made the same impression if it was called 'Signs of Life, Of Promises Broken' or 'Delusions of Maturity'? It was the working titles for the album.
twcc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by twcc »

The Medicine Album is unrelated ... however, of the eight song titles two are noteworthy -

Track 1 = Back to the Wall
Track 5 = You and Me
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

space triangle wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:51 pm
Btw, would A Momentary Lapse of Reason have made the same impression if it was called 'Signs of Life, Of Promises Broken' or 'Delusions of Maturity'? It was the working titles for the album.
The situations in which those albums were released were very different. While PF had some hit albums before DSotM, the album took them up a whole level in popularity and awareness in the public consciousness. While by the time of AMLoR, they were already one of the biggest bands in the world, and I think the album could have been called more or less anything and it wouldn't have made a huge amount of difference.

When bands and albums suddenly achieve or drastically increase their popularity to a very high level, I believe that everything needs to be perfect. Including how the band and music fits with the zeitgeist. For a band to main existing popularity is, I feel, much less fragile and much less likely to be disrupted had things been different.