How do folks in the UK view the 2020 U.S. election?

Talk about anything in here from the price of tea to the state of the economy!
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: How do folks in the UK view the 2020 U.S. election?

Post by drafsack »

Joe Biden is older than Trump - why is he called Sleepy Joe
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

drafsack wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:43 pm Joe Biden is older than Trump - why is he called Sleepy Joe
'Sleepy Joe' is supposed to be a dogwhistle for 'Creepy Joe'. A name associated with certain right wing accusations against Biden.

It is, in my eyes, an indication of how democracy is going wrong in certain countries. (The UK too.) That slogans and name-calling is replacing reasoned debate about candidates.
TioBuzzy
Embryo
Embryo

Post by TioBuzzy »

trump is a criminal and a racist. You will hear him do lots of "whistling past the graveyard" as they say in the U.S. but he's finished and he knows it.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Annoying Twit wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:46 am It is, in my eyes, an indication of how democracy is going wrong in certain countries. (The UK too.) That slogans and name-calling is replacing reasoned debate about candidates.
It is sad that policies largely don't matter that much anymore. It's all about the political messaging and propaganda, oversimplifications, taking things out of context etc. and generally playing dirty. The media is quite bad for this too.
twcc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by twcc »

Keith Jordan wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:12 pm ... The media is quite bad for this too.
Alas the BBC is now very biased with the reporting of events in both the UK and USA.
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

twcc wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:06 am
Keith Jordan wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:12 pm ... The media is quite bad for this too.
Alas the BBC is now very biased with the reporting of events in both the UK and USA.
Both the BBC and Channel 4 are very left wing and biased and not just in the news they are also very left wing and biased on 'entertainment' programs like Have I got news for you and Gogglebox
TioBuzzy
Embryo
Embryo

Post by TioBuzzy »

The arena in Oklahoma that was supposed to be overly full for trump's "rally" tonight is nearly half empty. On top of that, in Williamson County TN which was supposed to be the most Republican county in America is having Black Lives Matters marches in town with almost no minority residents.

Example: A Brentwood demonstration for racial justice organized by local students and the Williamson County Young Democrats has been scheduled for Friday, June 26, at 5 p.m. at the Franklin Road and Brentwood Place area. This is a huge slap in the face to the Republican party and conservatives and racists.

Update: there were 6200 trump supporters in the 19,000 capacity arena + the overflow area outside that was supposed to have 40,000, had zero.

\:D/ <ii>
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

Well let's hope Kayne's Birthday Party won't be the Teapot Party that hobbled Obama.
You are the closest to a link to America as I can get.
People aren't seriously considering Kanye as viable, are they?!! ](*,)
TioBuzzy
Embryo
Embryo

Post by TioBuzzy »

Jimi Dean Barrett wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:10 pm Well let's hope Kayne's Birthday Party won't be the Teapot Party that hobbled Obama.
You are the closest to a link to America as I can get.
People aren't seriously considering Kanye as viable, are they?!! ](*,)
Kanye is a laughingstock in the states.

Actually trump lost a percent in a recent three-way-poll that included West. He dropped from 40% to 39%

I recently started a forum re: American current events...
https://bluewaveforum.boards.net/
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

@TioBuzz - I had a look at your forum. In my opinion, if you want to achieve your political aims you're going to have to deal with very serious attempts to disenfranchise voters. Even worse than in previous elections.
TioBuzzy
Embryo
Embryo

Post by TioBuzzy »

Update:
Election strategist claims Kanye West is 'out' of presidential run as state deadlines pass (two hours ago)

It was not serious to begin with. Another stunt to distract people from trump's epic failures.
PooF
Hammer
Hammer

Post by PooF »

Frankly, it looks like you're using this forum as some kind of free billboard. I don't necessarily disagree with your politics, but for e.g. I don't see any real engagement with others who have posted in this thread.
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

TioBuzzy wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:03 pmI recently started a forum re: American current events...
https://bluewaveforum.boards.net/
You set up a forum, but what you need is a blog. Nobody is engaging with you on your forum, because there are already numerous political discussion forums, and forums are a bit old fashioned anyway.

As a UK citizen, I view the 2020 U.S. election as a warning of sorts. The UK will hopefully never become such a gridlocked two-party system, where elections are rigged via foreign interference, gerrymandering, destruction of the postal service, smear campaigns, deep fakes, etc.

As for the election, I'm not enamored with Joe Biden especially, but anything has to be better than Trump. It seems to be a vote for two decrepit old men barely hanging on to their faculties. One is centre-right and the other is deeply far right. Trump doesn't seem to have ever achieved anything in life through honest means, and he seems barely literate. Unfortunately he will remain wildly popular in the flyover states purely because he is perceived to be getting 'one over on the liberals', by the time his weird and inappropriate antics are filtered through the right-wing media.

If I let my tinfoil hat rustle briefly, there are so many things that Trump has done that would have felled a lesser politician. His links to Epstein, the comments about his own daughter, the comments about women in general, the rambling error-strewn monologues, "some very fine people" and numerous other examples. It must be convenient for some groups of people to have this blabbering distraction in power?
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

So Tiobuzzy, do you like Pink Floyd?
DarkSideFreak
Knife
Knife

Post by DarkSideFreak »