Roger Waters - Amused To Death

Discussions about Pink Floyd and Solo Official Album CDs and DVDs.

Rate this album

5 - Best
50%
26%
14%
4%
1 - Worst
5%

Total votes: 113

FreeFour
Knife
Knife

Re: Roger Waters - Amused To Death

Post by FreeFour »

5/5 on the grounds that a) it's brilliant and b) it is not KAOS Part II
FreeFour
Knife
Knife

Post by FreeFour »

Added a subwoofer to my Sonos system over the weekend and thought I'd listen to Amused To Death.

Always ranked as one of my favourites and I have to say its probably been well over ten years since I'd properly just sat and listened to it all the way through.

It's still a weighty old thing and no mistaking its a Roger Waters album....and I still absolutely adore it.
PooF
Hammer
Hammer

Post by PooF »

Going OT I know, but I have to ask: How do you rate the sub-woofer - is it worth it?
Morty
Axe
Axe

Post by Morty »

I would rate this a four. It has its ups and downs. I think Waters might be a bit to on the nose sometimes, and it can easy become a bit comical in its over use of sound effects. But yeah, it has some very strong songs. But not my favorite Waters album.
Djgilmour
Blade
Blade

Post by Djgilmour »

This album is such a brilliant album.
Released almost 25 years ago. Remember seeing it in the record store on its release day and I was shocked that it was there, did not know that he was gonna release it.
Played it from day one every day for many months in a row and I was pissed that he did not tour, the greedy bastard ( he lost money on the Radio KAOS tour in the US so he cancelled his European KAOS tour).

There are only two really crap songs on it, they should be buried deep into a big black hole.
Can you guess which two songs are crap?
Jacek wrote:Can't say I care much for the two Late Home Tonights
Hudini wrote:I can still listen to it without getting bored. Apart from "Late Home Tonight", that is. Never liked that song (or songs if you will).
Idisaffect wrote: Late home tonight has 2 parts. Some of those lyrics are Waters worst. I'll refrain from repeating them. YAWN.
David Smith wrote: Late Home Tonight doesn't really do anything for me
Hudini wrote:I gave it 4 just because I can't stand "Late Home Tonight". The rest of it simply brilliant.
Kerry King
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Kerry King »

they play the game with the bravery of being out of range

sing to the tune of

there aint no way to hide your lyin' eyes
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

Roger once promised that he would go at the tour and play ATD once it sells over 1 million copies. Does anyone know how many copies ATD sold so far? It is quite possible the album exceeded the one million sales long time ago. 8)
Kerry King
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Kerry King »

^ I don't think Waters is able to properly lip sync Late Home tonight part 1. He might have trouble when he attempts words like "Oxfordshire".
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

This album could have been almost perfect if not for the two things:

1. It's a bit too long. Just 8. minutes shorter than the double album The Wall.
2. ATD is drowning in overuse of background female vocals. Particularly the side 1. Not that I have anything against female vocals, mind you. At the Dark Side Of The Moon per instance it warked absolutely perfect. Here at the ATD, it's just too much of the female backing vocals imo.
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

Keith Jordan wrote: Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:44 pm The recording sounds fantastic! In which studio was it recorded?
Can I answer this 11 years old question. Keith? :)

ATD was recorded at The Billiard Room studios, Olympic Studios, CTS Studios, Angel Recording Studios and Abbey Road Studios.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Finally, the forum is complete, I have the final answer I was missing!! [-D-]
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

Keith Jordan wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:41 pm Finally, the forum is complete, I have the final answer I was missing!! [-D-]
Let me say this Keith, we need to find the another one, fhe LAST answer to this question: (taken from the PULSE thread)

twcc wrote:
'As an aside, and apologies if it has been asked before ... but does anyone know the significance of the numbers in circles on the 'track listing' side of the card insert in the flashing box CD version?. My 2-mm thick card has 40, 12 & 25, 44 & 45, 36, 19 & 31, 34, 15 and 21 ... why some are individual numbers and why some are pairs is anyone's guess.'

This is the most difficult of all the Pink Floyd related questions! ](*,)

I remember clearly when I first held the CD Pulse in my hands I was shaking my head thinking what these numbers actually mean ?? I never found the answer! Could it be the 'real pulse' numbers? :o

Anyway, only when we answer this question you can close the NPF Pub for all time. :lol:
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

Just played AtD for the first time in a while. It really is a good album and a big return to form for Roj. I'm not really a big fan of either PaCoHH or RK.
Kerry King
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Kerry King »

space triangle wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:46 am This album could have been almost perfect if not for the two things:

1. It's a bit too long. Just 8. minutes shorter than the double album The Wall.
2. ATD is drowning in overuse of background female vocals. Particularly the side 1. Not that I have anything against female vocals, mind you. At the Dark Side Of The Moon per instance it warked absolutely perfect. Here at the ATD, it's just too much of the female backing vocals imo.
You've specified "female" backing vocals. You'd prefer male vocals? Or maybe canine vocals? Or none at all? I'd prefer either a better melodic idea for whoever is singing the background vocals or no backing vocals at all. The sound of the voices is fine but what they've been given to sing is weak.
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

space triangle wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:43 pm
Keith Jordan wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:41 pm Finally, the forum is complete, I have the final answer I was missing!! [-D-]
Let me say this Keith, we need to find the another one, fhe LAST answer to this question: (taken from the PULSE thread)

twcc wrote:
'As an aside, and apologies if it has been asked before ... but does anyone know the significance of the numbers in circles on the 'track listing' side of the card insert in the flashing box CD version?. My 2-mm thick card has 40, 12 & 25, 44 & 45, 36, 19 & 31, 34, 15 and 21 ... why some are individual numbers and why some are pairs is anyone's guess.'
The numbers in the circle relates to the song being played in the pictures in the book. ie the track listing on the card shows High Hopes with the number 15 in a circle after it and on page 15 of the book it clearly shows the High hopes video on the screen. Its the same as learning to fly (19 & 31) and comfortably numb (44 & 45) - etc