Roger Waters Us and Them concert DVD

All discussion related specifically to Roger Waters.
Master_Chief
Blade
Blade

Re: Roger Waters Us and Them concert DVD

Post by Master_Chief »

I saw this tour at British Summer Time in Hyde Park and it was phenomenal, much better than his The Wall Tour which I also saw in London. I also attended numerous nights in 2015 and 2016 of David Gilmour's run at the Royal Albert Hall (which was as close as I'll come to a religious experience :lol: ), and when lockdown ends and concerts are back again I hope to see Nick Mason's A Saucerful of Secrets at last!

What I'm basically saying is I'm a major Floyd nut and appreciate any form of their music. Does Roger lip sync? More than likely. :smt102 I remember seeing Rammstein on numerous nights of their Liebe is Fur Alle Da tour in 2009 and realising afterwards that lead singer Till lip synced the chorus in Ich Tu Dir Weh. But oh well, it's my favourite song from the album and I'd rather have that instead of nothing at all.

With Pink Floyd and their numerous solo efforts, surely it's best to have something instead of nothing whatsoever. If it leads to more original content like Is This The Life... then happy days. I will definitely pick up the blu-ray of Us + Them and probably even the vinyl release as well. And when/if This Is Not A Drill comes to the UK... I'll be there 8)
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

I think we're lucky that musicians in their 70s and sometimes even beyond are still creating good quality product (of various types).

Rog and Nick are 76, Dave is 74.

We've got Nick's DVD coming soon. And my gut feeling is that we haven't seen the last Pink Floyd solo original album either. (Yes, I saw news that Rog is recording - but I think that we might even get something from Dave some time too.)

We should consider ourselves lucky to get what we get. Yes, there may be some compromises.
dj865
Blade
Blade

Post by dj865 »

Kerry King wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:06 pm music ìs the main thing for me. The show is eye candy.
All the rest of the musicians on stage were excellent, the music was top notch. Granted, Roger may have had moments of miming, but the guy is in his 70s, and he tries to create a spectacle. Cut him some slack, that's what I reckon.. the guy wrote the wall, nuff said
Kerry King
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Kerry King »

^ when does Waters ever cut anyone some slack? Recently he has insulted Polly, Dylan and Neil Young. He insulted lennon's widow in a song less than 4 years after he was shot down in front of her. He trashed his fellow bandmates numerous times then proceeded to be less creative than them. No I will not cut him any slack. And no, what he does now is not better than nothing. He has ruined my enjoyment of pink floyd by making it clear that he is just a pretentious phony. Writing the wall 40 years ago does not give him a lifetime pass. Young and dylan have kept working hard all these years while waters has been milking his 70s output. The floyd legacy has been forever tainted by this lip syncing, big mouthed, wall building has-been.
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

Kerry King wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:00 pm ^ when does Waters ever cut anyone some slack?
LOL!

It is true that Roger Waters will rarely cut anyone any slack. However, that doesn't mean that we shouldn't. :D :D :D
dj865
Blade
Blade

Post by dj865 »

Kerry King wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:00 pm ^ when does Waters ever cut anyone some slack? Recently he has insulted Polly, Dylan and Neil Young.
The Polly critique is fair enough, albeit a bit petty. But you gotta admit...she has no place being promoted on pink Floyd .com

Can you show the examples of him insulting Dylan and young? I'm unfamiliar with this. Thanks
thefinalmutt
Axe
Axe

Post by thefinalmutt »

Kerry King wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:00 pm when does Waters ever cut anyone some slack?
You don't know him personally, you have no idea how he acts with people in general. Judging someone's entire personality based on a few things he's said/done in the public sphere is mega dishonest.
Kerry King wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:00 pm Recently he has insulted Polly, Dylan and Neil Young.
Source ?
Kerry King wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:00 pm He insulted lennon's widow in a song less than 4 years after he was shot down in front of her.
I reckon you mean :
"Jump !" said Yoko Ono
"I'm scared and too good-looking", I cried
"Go on", she said, "why don't you give it a try ?"
"Why prolong the agony ? All men must die"
[...]Did you understand the music, Yoko, or was it all in vain ?

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO insulting ... :lol:
Kerry King wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:00 pm He trashed his fellow bandmates numerous times then proceeded to be less creative than them.
YEAH you're right, he was just recording albums with his own style of music, his own lyrics, about subject as unusual as a man's subconscious exploring his attachment to marriage vs the 'call of the wild', a disabled guy hacking into the airwaves to change people's mind about war by simulating a nuclear attack, the whole of society annihilated by its addiction to lobotomizing TV entertainement & propaganda (do I need to mention he wrote an OPERA ?)
while the other guys were creatively having a host of people help them recreate a generic pinkfloydesque aesthetic, the 'floyd sound' or wtv, which is something they totally made up as pink floyd's music before that was always quite varied, heterogeneous and well... CREATIVE.
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

thefinalmutt wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:09 pm
Kerry King wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:00 pm when does Waters ever cut anyone some slack?
You don't know him personally, you have no idea how he acts with people in general. Judging someone's entire personality based on a few things he's said/done in the public sphere is mega dishonest.
Kerry King wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:00 pm Recently he has insulted Polly, Dylan and Neil Young.
Source ?
Kerry King wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:00 pm He insulted lennon's widow in a song less than 4 years after he was shot down in front of her.
I reckon you mean :
"Jump !" said Yoko Ono

Kerry King wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:00 pm He trashed his fellow bandmates numerous times then proceeded to be less creative than them.
YEAH you're right, he was just recording albums with his own style of music, his own lyrics, about subject as unusual as a man's subconscious exploring his attachment to marriage vs the 'call of the wild', a disabled guy hacking into the airwaves to change people's mind about war by simulating a nuclear attack, the whole of society annihilated by its addiction to lobotomizing TV entertainement & propaganda (do I need to mention he wrote an OPERA ?)
while the other guys were creatively having a host of people help them recreate a generic pinkfloydesque aesthetic, the 'floyd sound' or wtv, which is something they totally made up as pink floyd's music before that was always quite varied, heterogeneous and well... CREATIVE.
Like wise nor do you know Roger personally. Roger is no saint like you clearly think he is, so you think its ok for him to slag off David's wife publicly??
As going by the end of your post you hate David and the post waters era just because it was not creative to their previous albums. It was a different era from the 70's, David has always said he has struggled with lyrics The legal issues during the making of AMLOR did not help and the push from the record company for a new PF album. Roger is not PF. The last 2 albums are of course different from the classic era but saying there were not creative is bullshit. Also the TDB is more of a band effort then Animals, The Wall & The Final Cut.
Wow Roger wrote an opera big whoop doesn't mean its any good though. How long has Roger milked The Wall material & DSOTM material. How long did it take him to tour with new material since the ITF 99/2000 tour.
Last edited by azza200 on Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

Funnily enough I heard this DVD advertised on Planet Rock Radio this morning. The advert was all "ROGER WATERS!! THE CREATIVE GENIUS BEHIND PINK FLOYD!" then five minutes later the station played "Louder Than Words" :lol:
Well I thought it was funny.
Kerry King
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Kerry King »

Oh, bullshit. I don't know Bill Cosby either.
thefinalmutt wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:09 pmSource?
Try google. It's all out there. The Polly insult I found on this forum not long ago.
I reckon you mean :"Jump !" said Yoko Ono

He calls her a bitch. You left it out. How very "mega dishonest" of you.

I accept that you don't think Waters' claim that Yoko did not understand her husband's music is an insult. But how could it not be? Calling her a bitch was certainly meant as an insult. Don't overlook that part of the lyric.
Kerry King
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Kerry King »

SOURCES for the google impaired

https://www.stereogum.com/1943961/roger ... vers/news/
(“Fuck me Bob, what is wrong with you?" - Roger Waters)

https://liveforlivemusic.com/news/roger ... rm-israel/
(link to his letter to Neil Young at bottom)
dj865
Blade
Blade

Post by dj865 »

About the insults....could it be that Roger simply says what he thinks (and what many of us are thinking)?

I mean ....having a quick listen to some of that Dylan album, and I gotta agree with him...it's kinda schlock 😂

Also, whilst he unnecessarily publicly ripped into Polly, his point is correct about it correct....her stuff doesn't need to be on PF website!

I'll not bother checking out the Neil young link/source, he's probably right on that too. And even if he's not, he's still entitled to his opinion
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

dj865 wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:12 am About the insults....could it be that Roger simply says what he thinks (and what many of us are thinking)?
Roger is certainly thinking very different things from what I am thinking much of the time. Certainly concerning what he says about individuals.
Master_Chief
Blade
Blade

Post by Master_Chief »

I rarely agree with Roger’s politics or public opinions, however I thoroughly respect and agree with his comments about Polly appearing on the Floyd website and social channels.

For instance I don’t agree with hardly any of the political topics in The Final Cut, yet it’s my favourite Pink Floyd album. Why? Because it’s touching on topics that are sensitive and in a poetic way. Two Suns in the Sunset is probably one of the best anti-war songs (or at least anti-Nuclear weapon songs) I can think of.

Roger will normally just say what’s on his mind, whether it’s politically or sociologically correct, and in this day and age that’s something that should be encouraged. Listen to the Radio 1 interviews from the release of The Pros and Cons as he defends his decision to have a naked woman on the front cover.

As for “milking” The Wall and Dark Side of the Moon, isn’t that what bands normally do? Strike gold with an album and, I guess, “milk” it? I remember news articles from David Gilmour shortly before his Rattle That Lock tour, stating that Pink Floyd was basically null and void. Yet he then walks out on stage and plays Money, Us and Them, Sorrow and Run Like Hell for the first time practically since 1994. After hearing these comments my hopes rose of hearing Murder, All Lovers Are Deranged or even There’s No Way Out of Here. Artists milk what makes easy money. Can you blame them? Absolutely not...
dj865
Blade
Blade

Post by dj865 »

Annoying Twit wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:19 am
dj865 wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:12 am About the insults....could it be that Roger simply says what he thinks (and what many of us are thinking)?
Roger is certainly thinking very different things from what I am thinking much of the time. Certainly concerning what he says about individuals.
That's fair enough, but have a listen to that Dylan album and come back and tell us....schlock or not schlock?