Roger Waters Us and Them concert DVD

All discussion related specifically to Roger Waters.
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Re: Roger Waters Us and Them concert DVD

Post by Annoying Twit »

dj865 wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:44 pm That's fair enough, but have a listen to that Dylan album and come back and tell us....schlock or not schlock?
I don't have to listen to the album. I wouldn't say what Rog says above either way. It's not just tact, it's the whole thought process that leads to 'what is wrong with you'.
PooF
Hammer
Hammer

Post by PooF »

Kerry King wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:00 pm He has ruined my enjoyment of pink floyd by making it clear that he is just a pretentious phony. ... The floyd legacy has been forever tainted by this lip syncing, big mouthed, wall building has-been.
I've never thought of him that way before - seen him twice and enjoyed both shows (more than I thought I would), but now I feel I've been deceived and defrauded. I'm a victim! I want my money back! No more wall building!
twcc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by twcc »

PooF wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:07 pm ... I feel I've been deceived and defrauded. I'm a victim! I want my money back! No more wall building!
Alas, I fear some will not understand your ironic comment ... ](*,)
Kerry King
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Kerry King »

PooF wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:07 pm
Kerry King wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:00 pm He has ruined my enjoyment of pink floyd
I've never thought of him that way before - seen him twice and enjoyed both shows (more than I thought I would), but now I feel I've been deceived and defrauded. I'm a victim! I want my money back! No more wall building!
I can appreciate the sarcasm but I never said it was fraud. I said it was lame entertainment. I said it makes me doubt his sincerity. Those Wall and Animals lyrics...in hindsight it all just seems like obvious pandering. Pandering to his 1970s rock and roll audience. Run Like Hell sounds more and more like the real Roger Waters coming through. He is the biggest brick in the Wall.
PooF
Hammer
Hammer

Post by PooF »

^^^ More seriously, I pretty much agree with you. How many times can one wrap and re-wrap the same old music in yet another presentation of adolescent angst? Personally, I suspect - cynic that I am - that most of that angst is just part of the show anyway. And the obvious answer, I suppose, is: For as long as the punters will pony up.

The shows are a spectacle, he keeps the memories alive for those of a certain age, and introduces the music to those who are younger. I can't think of anything else positive to say about Roger Waters these days.
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

PooF wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:41 am ^^^ More seriously, I pretty much agree with you. How many times can one wrap and re-wrap the same old music in yet another presentation of adolescent angst? Personally, I suspect - cynic that I am - that most of that angst is just part of the show anyway. And the obvious answer, I suppose, is: For as long as the punters will pony up.

The shows are a spectacle, he keeps the memories alive for those of a certain age, and introduces the music to those who are younger. I can't think of anything else positive to say about Roger Waters these days.
At least Rog has a new album to tour and is devoting a good chunk of the concert to it. Same for Dave w/ RtL last time he was touring. There are bands touring who pretty much don't play anything released in the last two decades.
twcc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by twcc »

Us + Them to be issued for purchase on 2nd October 2020 ... the 4K UHD version is available to watch now on PrimeVideo now but ironically only 'standard' Blu-ray and DVD are to be issued for purchase.

https://rogerwaters.lnk.to/us-them!Trafalgar
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

So I have seen two different versions of this. One finishes with Brain Damage/Eclipse and the other finishes with Mother and Comfortably Numb
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Watched it tonight, saw the cinema version in liverpool too, but really enjoyed it, took me back.
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

The audio is brickwalled to death sounds awful
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

I've seen the few tracks that are on YouTube, and it does nothing for me. When I've seen him live, it always annoyed me that he tried to get someone that sounds as close to Gilmour's voice as possible, but now that he's sort of moved on, Christ...bring those other guys back. And Kilminster really does nail the guitar parts from the studio recordings, just like a few dozen teenage girls do on YouTube. Pink Floyd never played things exactly the same live - hell, playing "Pigs" in 1977 with Snowy White, they just wing it until it almost sounds like "Wooden Ships", as though with anyone other than Roger playing bass, Dave and Rick were actually able to do whatever they wanted knowing everyone else would keep up.
DarkSideFreak
Knife
Knife

Post by DarkSideFreak »

Master_Chief wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:15 pm As for “milking” The Wall and Dark Side of the Moon, isn’t that what bands normally do? Strike gold with an album and, I guess, “milk” it? I remember news articles from David Gilmour shortly before his Rattle That Lock tour, stating that Pink Floyd was basically null and void. Yet he then walks out on stage and plays Money, Us and Them, Sorrow and Run Like Hell for the first time practically since 1994. After hearing these comments my hopes rose of hearing Murder, All Lovers Are Deranged or even There’s No Way Out of Here. Artists milk what makes easy money. Can you blame them? Absolutely not...
Actually, declaring Pink Floyd over was probably what made him take up those songs again. In 2006 he could go on stage and evade any songs that Roger wrote alone because it wasn't Pink Floyd. Now he didn't want Roger to be the only one representing those tracks, and besides they worked well on the AMLOR and TDB tours. Maybe he was already thinking of The Later Years too (they had worked on that for years, after all) and therefore wanted to embrace those albums more, hence Sorrow and What Do You Want From Me.

The attendance on those tours was completely independent from whether DG plays Money or not. This is quite different to Roger taking an old album like DSOTM or The Wall out, years after their release, on tour, without having anything new to sell (when PF played DSOTM in 1994 they were also promoting TDB). On those grounds, yes, I'd say, Roger can be accused of "milking old stuff" more so than David.
DarkSideFreak
Knife
Knife

Post by DarkSideFreak »

azza200 wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:44 pm The audio is brickwalled to death sounds awful
Unsurprised ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

Number 9 in album charts. I hope it's the original Oasis album and not the reissue put down as the same weeks as the original Morning Glory?!
https://www.officialcharts.com/charts/albums-chart/
How is he doing in vinyl (used to be called physical but obvious Covid reasons!)? Wow! That's even more depressing in at 15. :shock:
https://www.officialcharts.com/charts/v ... ums-chart/
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

Dark Side of the Moon is at #33, so he'll probably be okay.