Any musicians here impacted by COVID-19 closures?

Talk about any music other than Pink Floyd/Solo Stuff
The Gunner's Dream
Lord!!
Lord!!

Any musicians here impacted by COVID-19 closures?

Post by The Gunner's Dream »

I've been playing music for a living for the past several years, playing everywhere from dancehalls, bars, clubs, private parties, and festivals with numerous musicians and musical groups as a means of paying my bills and putting food on the table. I've been greatly affected by the mandated closures and limitations on social gatherings to the point where I've had to file for unemployment for the first time in my life. Obviously, with these limitations it is impossible for bands to play live music, other than being relegated to "livestreams" and begging for donations via PayPal or the like. I was just curious if anyone else is in the same position, and if so, feel free to discuss.

On a positive note, I've taken the last 4 months to continue practicing piano/keyboards and had the opportunity to focus on some technical fundamentals like arpeggios and scales as a means of keeping my fingers in shape. Video of some etudes I wrote for myself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlD-5VSmr2Y

I look forward to playing out again with my fellow bandmates but don't know when that will happen.
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Re: Any musicians here impacted by COVID-19 closures?

Post by space triangle »

I just watched this video. You are a very skilful player Gus, almost like Keith Emerson. :)

But, at the same time I couldn't help but remember the words of Roger Waters who once said (to paraphrase him): ''Music should be allowed to breathe. Musicians often forget to leave a half a second pause between the tones''. As an perfect example of this rule he took Rick Wright’s final solo on Shine On Crazy Diamond part VI - IX. The part where Rick plays 'See Emily Play' solo at the end of the song.

Peace
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

The Gunner's Dream wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:25 pmOn a positive note, I've taken the last 4 months to continue practicing piano/keyboards and had the opportunity to focus on some technical fundamentals like arpeggios and scales as a means of keeping my fingers in shape.
Good Lord look at you go. Fantastic. 8)
The Gunner's Dream
Lord!!
Lord!!

Thank you for the kind words, Mr. Keith!
space triangle wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:12 pm I just watched this video. You are a very skilful player Gus, almost like Keith Emerson. :)
But, at the same time I couldn't help but remember the words of Roger Waters who once said (to paraphrase him): ''Music should be allowed to breathe. Musicians often forget to leave a half a second pause between the tones''. As an perfect example of this rule he took Rick Wright’s final solo on Shine On Crazy Diamond part VI - IX. The part where Rick plays 'See Emily Play' solo at the end of the song.
Peace
Oh I agree entirely. What I'm playing in that video are "etudes" that I've written for myself. Technical exercises intended to "stretch the legs" of the player and focus on particular skills, like arpeggios, scales, large leaps between notes, and other difficult things a player may have to do. I was in a Pink Floyd tribute band briefly and we did the entire Shine On suite, and I played Rick's parts note for note. Learning it, I was always impressed with how he managed to say so much with so little. On the other hand, Keith Emerson is one of my favorite keyboardists ever. Just a different approach. Equally valid. I think if Emerson tried to play like Rick Wright his head would have exploded. He had too much to say to leave that much space between the notes hahaha. Same for Art Tatum.
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

The Gunner's Dream wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:55 pm I think if Emerson tried to play like Rick Wright his head would have exploded. He had too much to say to leave that much space between the notes hahaha.
Perhaps the only time when Emerson actually toned down, and left space between the notes was his wonderful solo on the 'Lucky Man'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRYx0ySEhjk
The Gunner's Dream
Lord!!
Lord!!

Funny thing about the Lucky Man solo- he recorded that take as a lark and reportedly hated what he'd played, but was convinced that it was a keeper. I also agree it is an excellent and lyrical solo.