Pink Floyd rehearsing in Ainsdale 1971?

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
NickTheHat
Embryo
Embryo

Pink Floyd rehearsing in Ainsdale 1971?

Post by NickTheHat »

Hi. I'm a first-time poster (and new to the site) but a longtime early Floyd/Syd fan.

There's some photos that cropped up in the V&A exhibition that show Floyd in 1971 rehearsing in the Moulin Rouge Club/Bar in Ainsdale in the northwest.

It seems an out of the way place to rehearse. They did play there in May 1967 and at first i wondered if the dates were wrong but that isn't likely given the lack of Syd and the greater hairiness of the band. In May 1971 they did have a gig further up in Lancaster then in London and then a few in Scotland.

Then I was looking at David's white Strat which then made me think that the dates are wrong as that was stolen in the US before 1971 but it looks like he had others (?). Then I wondered if that was indeed Ainsdale, other places might have a Moulin Rouge backdrop and I couldn't find any photos of the inside of the Club/Bar. Then I thought i was falling down a rabbit hole and needed people with a greater background knowledge than me.

The relevance for me is that I now live in the area and am just interested due to the proximity - so not that important really. Just wondered if anyone had some more info?
Last edited by twcc on Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: EDIT: links removed in line with the forum rules
twcc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Pink Floyd rehearsing in Ainsdale 1971?

Post by twcc »

Welcome aboard.

I have removed the link ... but feel free to attach a copy of the image by using the "Attachments" tab (bottom left of this box)
NickTheHat
Embryo
Embryo

Post by NickTheHat »

Here's a photo -
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

That is the white '66 Strat that he purchased around the same time as the black one, and later stripped the finish off of and installed weird stereo pickups. It was auctioned off last year, and I drooled over it extensively at the viewing in New York. Also seen in the footage from San Tropez in 1970. You can still see it on the Christie's website; it was Lot #1.