Symphony versions of pink floyd

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
dj865
Blade
Blade

Symphony versions of pink floyd

Post by dj865 »

Recently listened to some of these, had on in the background whilst working from home. Anyone heard any, have any recommendations for the best ones?
Not everyone's cup of tea I'm guessing!
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Re: Symphony versions of pink floyd

Post by Annoying Twit »

I don't know, but I quickly sampled the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra plays PF and The Onion Orchestra's version of the WYWH album.

In both cases, I was disappointed. I would rather hear a fully symphonic version proper rearranged to be full orchestral. Not a half and half rock band supported by orchestra.

And, I don't think that Alice Cooper is a good choice for guest vocalist for WYWH either.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

Annoying Twit wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:23 pmAnd, I don't think that Alice Cooper is a good choice for guest vocalist for WYWH either.
Alice Cooper (the band) was on Pink Floyd's first tour of U.S. with Jimi Hendrix, under their original name, Nazz.

It's hard to picture Roger sitting around listening to Kiss or Alice Cooper, so I wonder what made him pick Bob Ezrin; my only guess is Berlin.

But yeah...I don't think Vincent would be anyone's first pick to sing anything.
twcc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by twcc »

I have to admit, I was intrigued by the sleeve (but I didn't buy the album) -
PFcwTLS.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

I gave their version of SOYCD a spin; it's on Youtube.

https://youtu.be/i_3ZTjSaI5I

I thought it was reasonably good, and better arranged than some PF done classical music I tried listening to.

However, it was disappointing that they used a cheap keyboard playing what sounds to be a choir sample all throughout much of it. If this had been done exactly the same apart from using a real choir, I think init would have been much better.