McBroom Sisters new album 'Black Floyd'

Talk about other Floyd related musicians here.
Massed Gadgets
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

McBroom Sisters new album 'Black Floyd'

Post by Massed Gadgets »

Anyone heard it yet? What do you think? I'm just starting to give it a listen right now. Sounds pretty good so far. It's mix of both originals and Floyd covers. Nick Mason plays drums on it.
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Re: McBroom Sisters new album 'Black Floyd'

Post by Annoying Twit »

I didn't know about the album until your post. I'm listening to it now. It's not on Spotify that I can see, but it can be heard on their Bandcamp page.

EDIT: Not all the songs on the album are available on the Bandcamp page. It's certainly an interesting album, and has been produced to sound like a TDB era Pink Floyd album. The covers are interesting, and update the PF songs a bit. The originals are very well arranged and produced, and in particular the instrumental sections and codas sound quite PF like. I think the best original song is the 9 minute long 'Cocoon'. Despite the credits on Discogs.com, it sounds to be sung by a male singer. The whole track is very DG era PF, sounding like an alternate universe alternate to Sorrow or High Hopes. There's a fair amount of a 'pretty fair forgery' of DG's guitar playing. However, like a lot of albums/songs that are said to be PF-like, the lyrics and vocal melodies don't sound anything like PF. The arrangement and production, yes, very PF. But, fundamentally, if they were played on acoustic guitar and vocals, I don't think the fundamental songs sound very PF like. So, with the expectation of something that sounds PF, the actual songs disappoint. Not because they are bad songs - far from it. But, only because I'm expecting one thing, and I get something else.