Barrett-led Floyd or Gilmour-led Floyd

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Re: Barrett-led Floyd or Gilmour-led Floyd

Post by azza200 »

High Hopes is the strongest song on TDB then What Do You Want From Me, Wearing The Inside Out better live imo, Poles Apart, Marooned
AMLOR is an album which has a better flow then TDB imo
scarecrow
Blade
Blade

Post by scarecrow »

For earlier Gilmour, I really like Pillow of Winds, all parts of Narrow Way, as well as the various early songs he'd include in more recent solo sets.

Not fussed with Run Like Hell, any of About Face (can't especially remember any of it tbh) but like much of AMLOR, High Hopes but basically none of the rest of TDB...
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

scarecrow wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:45 pmFor earlier Gilmour, I really like Pillow of Winds, all parts of Narrow Way, as well as the various early songs he'd include in more recent solo sets.
Roger wrote the lyrics for "A Pillow of Winds" (and everything else that Dave sang except "Narrow Way", "Fat Old Sun", and "Childhood's End").
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

Annoying Twit wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:45 pmTER left out of this comparison as it's very different from the other Gilmour era albums and not really comparable.
Say we substituted a theoretical Division Bell double-album, interspersed with the instrumentals eventually released as The Endless River, for these comparisons instead? And the soundtracks to La Carrera Panamericana, Ruby Takes a Trip, The Art of Tripping, and Arthur C. Clarke's The Colours of Infinity (some of which also ended up on The Endless River)? These show that Gilmour and the band had plenty of lively music at their fingertips, even if The Division Bell as it was released was more subdued.
Kerry King
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Kerry King »

Jugband Blues surpasses anything from the Gilmour-led floyd or the Waters-led floyd.

High Hopes is my favorite from the Gilmour era.
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

Kerry King wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:55 am Jugband Blues surpasses anything from the Gilmour-led floyd or the Waters-led floyd.
So, Jugband Blues is the best Pink Floyd song ever in your opinion?
scarecrow
Blade
Blade

Post by scarecrow »

Sure, I'm aware that Waters wrote the Pillow of Winds lyrics but I'm still counting it, I don't think the lyrics are too important to that song and Gilmour probably could've come up with some if he had to :D

I'd probably put Jugband Blues above any Gilmour or Waters composition too, although there's other Floyd songs I like more...
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

scarecrow wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:24 amI don't think the lyrics are too important to that song
Do you think that, for example The Wall would achieve the same popularity as a fully instrumental album?
scarecrow
Blade
Blade

Post by scarecrow »

No... I'm with Waters in that popularity and quality aren't the same thing, but am also of the opinion that lyrics can have varying importance to a song. Also, an awkward and clunky lyric could ruin a song, but imo a mediocre but evocative lyric is often fine.

I do prefer Meddle as an album to The Wall though, despite really liking several songs on The Wall. I doubt there's much appetite for debating this, but I feel really the whole 'concept' of The Wall is a bit of a stretch and (despite Waters' deft move to broaden the themes) now rather dated (and this seems to be the opinion of Gilmour and Mason too).

I'd say this goes to some extent for the treatment of 'madness' on DSOTM because the world has moved on with how mental wellbeing and mental health are framed, although I think it holds up overall in terms of existential reflections and perhaps as a kind of cultural moment in the early 70s post-summer-of-love-counterculture realm...
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

scarecrow wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:54 am...the world has moved on with how mental wellbeing and mental health are framed...
This is a very valid point. I think Roger's first few drafts of The Wall had more emphasis on the parallels and cyclical nature of psychological trauma - the teacher suffering PTSD inflicting students with PTSD who grow up to inflict PTSD on their loved ones and fans. A lot got lost on the cutting room floor, with only a passing mention of the antagonist's own troubles, and very little explanation of the facist turn that the protagonist takes, with "Isn't this where we came in?" reduced to a clever sound effect, like the dripping tap on "Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast". Despite restaging The Wall several times, Roger hasn't added any clarity to the story or the moral.

After seeing the response to Vera Lynn's recent death, including a lot of "Ohhhhh...THAT'S what that song's about!" from long-time Pink Floyd fans, I'm not sure it's worth Roger's time to clarify it any further.
Kerry King
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Kerry King »

space triangle wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:12 am
Kerry King wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:55 am Jugband Blues surpasses anything from the Gilmour-led floyd or the Waters-led floyd.
Amazing deduction. It's as good as anything they've done.
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

Kerry King wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:38 pm
space triangle wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:12 am

so is High Hopes, Yet Another Movie, Marooned, Sorrow, Wearing The Inside Out, Learning To Fly, Poles Apart, On The Turning Away, Signs Of Life

of course the gilmour era is different too the classic era of floyd but the band changed with the times but that does not mean, there is a some good music on those albums.
Kerry King
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Kerry King »

azza200 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:02 pm
Kerry King wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:38 pm
so is High Hopes, Yet Another Movie, Marooned, Sorrow, Wearing The Inside Out, Learning To Fly, Poles Apart, On The Turning Away, Signs Of Life
I have to take chronology into consideration. Jugband Blues in 1968 seems to hold more weight than Learning to Fly in 1987. There's a certain amount of innovation happening on JB. There's nothing as surprising on the Gilmour-led stuff.