Why PF didn’t release Live albums during Classic period?

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Re: Why PF didn’t release Live albums during Classic period?

Post by space triangle »

I'm digging up this old NPF thread:

Is Roger Waters partially tone deaf?

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=15466&start=15
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

I've seen that and other discussions over the years, and I've seen it mentioned in several books, including Saucerful of Secrets, which was published in 1991. Considering how litigious Roger was back then, it's very hard to believe that he wouldn't have fought tooth and nail over something like that being said if it weren't true, especially as he was rebuilding his career at that time, between The Wall Live In Berlin and Amused to Death.

For me as a musician, all the evidence I need to see is that video of "Cymbaline"; the bassline he's playing is almost the same as "Careful With That Axe, Eugene" - two notes, an octave apart, at such a slow tempo that he has plenty of time to reach up and adjust the tuner without missing a beat, and he's already playing the reference pitch on the other string. There are also other points on the neck to play those two notes on strings that are in tune, but he didn't do that either. This just confirms what many other people have said over the years.

There's also a higher quality version of that video:
https://youtu.be/pXDIPCxkSPU
Hadrian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Hadrian »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:21 am Roger especially was of the mindset that their shows were an experience that couldn't be captured on an LP
This is solo years later, but it is a shame that The Pros and Cons of Hitch Hiking and Radio K.A.O.S. tours are not out there as concert video products. The enormous bed thing for the first one cried for a video capture, and the same is true for the DJ booth and telephone booth thing (the latter used by the audience) for the second one.

We can only speculate what kind of stage theatrics there would've been for The Final Cut and Amused to Death album performances, if Roger actually toured those.