David Gilmour - Self Titled Album David Gilmour

Discussions about Pink Floyd and Solo Official Album CDs and DVDs.

Rate This Album!

5 - Best
20%
37%
34%
4%
1- Worst
6%

Total votes: 71

space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Re: David Gilmour - Self Titled Album David Gilmour

Post by space triangle »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:15 pm...and vetoed The Wall as well as Pros and Cons, and maybe we would have "Pink Floyd (1978) Ltd."
And we would get 'A Momentary Lapse Of Division Bell' a new Pink Floyd album already in 1979. Instead of The Wall. Thanks, but no.
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by theaussiefloydian »

I'll be honest, I'm not as much of a fan of this album as most here seem to be - if I'm going to go Gilmour solo record, I'm far more likely to reach for On an Island or About Face - but that doesn't by any means mean I don't like it. There are a lot of really good cuts on this album. There's No Way Out of Here was a personal favourite of mine for some time, and a lot of Side 2 is honestly pretty fantastic (even if Gilmour did reuse Raise My Rent for What Do You Want From Me).
On the poll I gave it a 4, but it's probably closer to a 3.5 for me.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

space triangle wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:52 amAnd we would get 'A Momentary Lapse Of Division Bell' a new Pink Floyd album already in 1979. Instead of The Wall. Thanks, but no.
Are you sure? You'd still get The Wall as a Roger solo triple album - no guitar solos, but I'm sure there'd be lots of corny saxophone.

(All reissues of Floyd albums with non-Dick Parry saxophone should replace them with Dick Parry saxophone. ASAP.)
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:00 amAre you sure? You'd still get The Wall as a Roger solo triple album - no guitar solos,
No, we would have a one double album to be called ' The Pros and Cons of building The Wall'. Roger would hire Clapton and Beck and David’s solos wouldn’t be missed very much.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

space triangle wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:44 pmRoger would hire Clapton and Beck and David’s solos wouldn’t be missed very much.
I think Clapton was too busy in '78/79 to be making drunken agreements that everyone around him, including his manager, advised against.

Beck had time on his hands, and could've done a great job, but I think it's more likely that Bob Ezrin and Michael Kamen would have just brought Steve Hunter and/or Dick Wagner along, since they used them for everything else. A good example is "Sloe Gin", which Ezrin and Kamen wrote and recorded right before starting work on The Wall.

https://youtu.be/nmReoyth7H8
K2+
Axe
Axe

Post by K2+ »

5. It sounds more like what I think of as "Pink Floyd" than Animals or anything that came after it. I wouldn't change anything about it, other than I wish Rick had played on it.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

K2+ wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:22 pmI wouldn't change anything about it, other than I wish Rick had played on it.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... FUL2DVjv91
K2+
Axe
Axe

Post by K2+ »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:26 pm
K2+ wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:22 pmI wouldn't change anything about it, other than I wish Rick had played on it.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... FUL2DVjv91
Thank you!