Why was there so little Pink Floyd after 1994?

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
Hadrian
Hammer
Hammer

Re: Why was there so little Pink Floyd after 1994?

Post by Hadrian »

I just discovered that somebody out there already made this for Roger since Roger was not putting it out himself, ten years ago (see: https://www.discogs.com/Roger-Waters-Is ... se/2902777). The bootleg kept the entire "When the Wind Blows" material as a single set, but is missing "Each Small Candle" and "Flickering Flame" (with those two added, it would be perfect).
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

It's absolutely an E-mu Emulator II! Wow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScudrQONTUk

"The sound of the shakuhachi is also featured from time to time in electronica, pop and rock, especially after being commonly shipped as a "preset" instrument on various synthesizers and keyboards beginning in the 1980s.[21] Here is a list of well-known tracks where the sound of an emulated, or sampled shakuhachi can be heard:
1987 Roger Waters Radio K.A.O.S. "Me or Him" [0:09–0:22, 1:27–1:35, 2:06–2:20, etc.]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shakuhach ... shakuhachi
Hadrian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Hadrian »

01) "Get Back to Radio" - 4:46
02) "Hello (I Love You)" - 6:13
03) "Lost Boys Calling" - 5:20
04) "To Kill the Child" - 3:31
05) "Leaving Beirut" - 12:29
06) "Going to Live in L.A." - 5:50
07) "Each Small Candle" - 9:18
08) "Flickering Flame" – 6:45
09) "When The Wind Blows" - 24:28
10) "Molly's Song" - 3:22

Total time: 82:02

I will make this at home (it is the bootleg version, now with two missed tracks added) and give it a listen over the weekend. Roger should definitely do this for real. I have commercial CDs that are north of 80 minutes playing time, and never had any playback problems anywhere.

p.s.
Bummer about fake shukahachi
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

Hadrian wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:13 pm p.s.
Bummer about fake shukahachi
The balls on that guy to put it in the credits is remarkable, and I will probably have trouble thinking about or hearing Roger without that coming to mind.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

p.s.

I totally think Rick Wright could have played the E-mu shakuhachi much better.

Also, I'm now very hungry for shakshouka.
Hadrian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Hadrian »

For "Me Or Him?" it states "Keyboards, Shakuhachi – Roger Waters". Perhaps you can misread that comma. I assumed he played both instruments on the track.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

Hadrian wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:23 pmPerhaps you can misread that comma.
It shouldn't mention it at all.

I know I was mystified as a child by the fact that they were all credited with "VCS3" on the Dark Side sleeve, but it was accurate. I also like that Jon Carin was credited with "programming" on the later albums, since it is a lot of work, even if Rick is the one playing those synths. Carin actually studied synthesis, and in school, he learned on a VCS3. He was a big part of them playing all of Dark Side in '94, and he programmed all of the synth sounds from scratch (and still does, especially for Roger's tours). He and Rick used samples of things like the Wurlitzer EP-200 electric piano, but it doesn't specify that on the liner notes, it just says "keyboards".
Kerry King
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Kerry King »

The whistle on Green Is The Colour sounds better than that synth.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

Kerry King wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:05 am The whistle on Green Is The Colour sounds better than that piece of plastic.
I prefer the Mellotron flute on "Julia Dream" - the first Pink Floyd song I ever heard (whoever owned my Relics cassette before me hadn't rewound it).

But again, Rick never wrote "Flute" in the credits.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

What makes it even more ridiculous is that Nick Glenny-Smith is credited with "DX7 and Emu" on "The Powers That Be".
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

Nick Mason:

''I Idon’t think there was a formal decision [for Pink Floyd to stop touring], but what happened was that, between ‘87 and ‘94, we did an awful lot of touring, and they were long tours. And we reached a point—particularly with David—where he did not really want to go out for another year. The problem is that, with big tours, you tend to have to go out on quite lengthy runs to justify your expenses. I like touring, but not to the point where all home life disappears—and, by the time you get home, your wife’s left you and your children have left home.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

Hadrian wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:13 pm 01) "Get Back to Radio" - 4:46
02) "Hello (I Love You)" - 6:13
03) "Lost Boys Calling" - 5:20
04) "To Kill the Child" - 3:31
05) "Leaving Beirut" - 12:29
06) "Going to Live in L.A." - 5:50
07) "Each Small Candle" - 9:18
08) "Flickering Flame" – 6:45
09) "When The Wind Blows" - 24:28
10) "Molly's Song" - 3:22
For whatever reason, "To Kill the Child" references some Radio KAOS lyrics, and uses the same eye-roll-inducing free-form free-association spoken-word "rapping"...maybe it was also written around that time?

The spoken-word parts of "Leaving Beirut" and the music behind it in 4/4 are quite good, but the verses in 6/8 ruin the atmosphere. Still, those four verses are only one minute each, so if you were to remove those it would still be eight and a half minutes long. An added bonus would be losing the references to George W. Bush - his This Is Not A Drill tour might get cancelled altogether if a certain someone doesn't get re-elected, otherwise it won't make much sense.

"Each Small Candle" is easily the best thing he's written since The Final Cut, though the music could use a lot of work if he ever gets around to recording it in the studio.

"Flickering Flame" is the most suspiciously polished "demo" I've ever heard. It's good, but a weird thing to release a decade after his last solo album, and 15 years before the next.
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

Well smash open the bottom of a bottle and force me off this site, but I still can't listen all the way through on "Hello I Love You".
If I'd had an album of that, I would have massively bailed on him.
As it is now, sorry Paul McCartney now back as favourite bassist, writer and singer.
Massively unfair to compare the two. But yeah, looking back on it you'd have expected more stuff created by Roger after leaving.
Hadrian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Hadrian »

space triangle wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:34 am Nick Mason:
''I Idon’t think there was a formal decision [for Pink Floyd to stop touring], but what happened was that, between ‘87 and ‘94, we did an awful lot of touring, and they were long tours. And we reached a point—particularly with David—where he did not really want to go out for another year. The problem is that, with big tours, you tend to have to go out on quite lengthy runs to justify your expenses. I like touring, but not to the point where all home life disappears—and, by the time you get home, your wife’s left you and your children have left home.
Sure. However, there is no reason why Pink Floyd couldn't do a Nick Mason's Saucerful of Secrets type tour as well. The Rolling Stones still play clubs when they tour around, for pure fun. A residency, for example at O2 in London, is another possibility (Michael Jackson was about to do 50 nights there, signed up for it just before he passed away). Finally, they released albums without any tours as well (The Final Cut, The Endless River).

What I am trying to say is - for someone like Pink Floyd, hating the idea of another world tour is not the reason to stop working altogether. Somebody like Vangelis never had any type of tour at all, and just a handful of ad hoc concerts during his entire career (simply not interested).
Hadrian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Hadrian »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:05 pm This Is Not A Drill tour might get cancelled altogether if a certain someone doesn't get re-elected, otherwise it won't make much sense.
Well, I hope not. I have the tickets for that, which are at the moment for seats in a venue with "Postponed" limbo date status attached.

I was pleasantly surprised when he announced another tour, I thought the one for the new album was to be his very last (he gave some hints about that in an interview). I was even more pleasantly surprised when Waters said that the show would be entirely different (visually and in terms of material, I suppose).

On the other hand, if he was really getting ready to go out there just to influence an election in the US somehow, that is a very depressing thought indeed...