The Division Bell Live (the entire album performance)

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
Hadrian
Hammer
Hammer

The Division Bell Live (the entire album performance)

Post by Hadrian »

I belatedly came across this wonderful thing, audio of The Division Bell performed live in its entirety.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1Ua5O5JmiU

There is some trickery involved, of course, Cluster One in particular (since this track was apparently the only one from the album never performed by Pink Floyd or David Gilmour on stage), but the result is spectacular indeed. The performance (if that is the word) lasts for a bit more than 67 minutes, and it is a very good audio representation of what a full album live set would've sounded like had it been performed in 1994. It is such a shame they never did this - full audio and video capture would've been wonderful.

For those interested in this type of thing, The Later Years contains every single track from A Momentary Lapse of Reason played live, so you can simply make a playlist of the entire live album and give it a listen. It is 58 minutes long.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Re: The Division Bell Live (the entire album performance)

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

Hadrian wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:16 pmI belatedly came across this wonderful thing, audio of The Division Bell performed live in its entirety.
I wish he'd performed "Marooned" more, on any tour, and I'd love to hear a live version of "Cluster One". His solo on "Great Day for Freedom" at Gdansk is one of his best live solos, ever - and you can see the big grin it put on his face as he kept it going for an extra minute and a half.

https://youtu.be/hzYvF7sWWPw
Hadrian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Hadrian »

This live performance of "Marooned" was great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4kgBpgoQaU
Master_Chief
Blade
Blade

Post by Master_Chief »

Nice find and thoroughly enjoyable to listen to. I forgot how amazing Marooned was when played in Oslo, this version literally sent chills down my spine. Such an amazing piece of guitar work and it's a crime he never dusted it off for either the On an Island or Rattle That Lock tours!

Then again it's rarity only makes the versions we have even more special in my opinion. But there's no denying that The Division Bell could certainly have worked as a live piece in it's entirety, even if they altered the running order like the AMLOR tour prior to this.
Hadrian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Hadrian »

Yes indeed. A side note on the topic - David Gilmour's Live in Gdańsk (2008) contains a full album performance of On an Island (2006). He changed the order of songs a bit from the sequencing found on the studio version, but the whole thing is there and performed as a set.
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

I like the running order of OAI 06 and AMLOR 87-89 live flows much better the songs in those sequences on those tours
Hadrian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Hadrian »

The fine art of album order sequencing has always been an elusive one, and it is interesting when there is a different order of tracks on the studio and live versions (why? was the studio sequence revisited and surpassed as wrong, or is there some other reason?).

One of the great things about these live performances is that songs finally have a proper beginning and end, there is no dreadful fade in / fade out, overlaps, and alike. It is next to impossible to create a custom playlist out of the later Floyd studio album tracks because of that.
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

One of the great things about these live performances is that songs finally have a proper beginning and end,
Sorrow has an incredible outro solo which is superior too the intro the feed back David did on it especially during 1994 and the european leg some bootlegs of it good example of a mental version is Live in Lyon and the Earls Court's date 20th 28th & 29th those outro solos are amazing

Sorrow is a different song live so powerful and epic David's guitar tone is something else
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lcoA04bDNk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdPTec5ADFE
Hadrian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Hadrian »

Yes, great stuff. As long as Pink Floyd was active on stage again (1987-2007) tracks old and new continued to evolve live. The same is true for that same material during Gilmour's tours and concerts too (with and without Rick).
Hadrian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Hadrian »

I should add that the same is true for Waters as well to a certain extent. When he rolled into town in 2017 with his Us + Them tour, I had the very first chance to hear "Another Brick in the Wall" as a single complete song (he and the band played parts 1-2-3 together as a set), it was a great 10 minutes or so version.
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

Yeah Rogers Another Brick P1-2-3 suite was really good and was cool too hear and see those songs played that way for the first time ( i saw his U&T show at Hyde Park) though i find the kids on stage gimmick very cringeworthy and it needs to be dropped its run its course now imo
Hadrian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Hadrian »

Yup the kids thing was a bit cringy indeed, but I understand what he was recreating there. The piece could've benefited from more solos, various instruments, it is an excellent one for music.
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

Master_Chief wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:02 am Nice find and thoroughly enjoyable to listen to. I forgot how amazing Marooned was when played in Oslo, this version literally sent chills down my spine. Such an amazing piece of guitar work and it's a crime he never dusted it off for either the On an Island or Rattle That Lock tours!

Then again it's rarity only makes the versions we have even more special in my opinion. But there's no denying that The Division Bell could certainly have worked as a live piece in it's entirety, even if they altered the running order like the AMLOR tour prior to this.
Do you think playing it in Oslo with accompanying whales on the screen was a dig at the Norwegian whaling policy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syupqC2d3lk
Master_Chief
Blade
Blade

Post by Master_Chief »

drafsack wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:34 pm Do you think playing it in Oslo with accompanying whales on the screen was a dig at the Norwegian whaling policy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syupqC2d3lk
Oh yes, absolutely! I have it basically confirmed in several of my Pink Floyd books that this was the case.
The two Oslo shows were the only occasions on which 'Marooned' was performed on the whole tour. A new projection film accompanied the track that featured whales - clearly a dig at Norway's whaling policy.
The above quote is lifted from Glenn Povey's The Complete History of Pink Floyd, which has a fantastic catalogue of almost every concert and accompanying set-list from their tours, including small anecdotes such as the one above about certain moments.