Roger Waters - the multi-instrumentalist

All discussion related specifically to Roger Waters.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Re: Roger Waters - the multi-instrumentalist

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

He sure spent a lot of time pissing around on the bass during the Obscured By Clouds sessions for not playing it on any songs. Weird.

space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

I don't know what's your point Ziggy? Roger is never hiding that his priority was not to be a great bass player. He repeatedly stated that he hated to practice bass plying.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

space triangle wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:31 pmI don't know what's your point Ziggy?
I think it's a valid point of discussion, especially when considering the amount of misinformation floating around. Maybe it's what you'd call "too valid."
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

space triangle wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:32 pm
Annoying Twit wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:22 pmHaving revised that article, I don't believe that those statistics are accurate.
What is not accurate in RRPITI's songs analys? Which songs are wrong when it comes to who played a bass on them?
His source of information is to use the official credits to decide who played what. Which RRPITI says on the thread. Given that we have comments from both Gilmour and Waters strongly suggesting (or for DG outright saying) that these statistics are wrong, I think that's a pretty good basis to conclude that they are wrong.
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

Annoying Twit wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:08 pmHis source of information is to use the official credits to decide who played what. Which RRPITI says on the thread. Given that we have comments from both Gilmour and Waters strongly suggesting (or for DG outright saying) that these statistics are wrong, I think that's a pretty good basis to conclude that they are wrong.
You're right. It's definitely a very old thread. I shouldn't have dug it up at all.
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

space triangle wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:27 pm
Annoying Twit wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:08 pmHis source of information is to use the official credits to decide who played what. Which RRPITI says on the thread. Given that we have comments from both Gilmour and Waters strongly suggesting (or for DG outright saying) that these statistics are wrong, I think that's a pretty good basis to conclude that they are wrong.
You're right. It's definitely a very old thread. I shouldn't have dug it up at all.
It's fair enough for discussion. Without Roger disputing Dave's claims to have played a lot of bass, and Rog is not exactly a wilting violet in terms of claiming credit, I'm minded to believe what Dave says.
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

Btw, who played that famous intro bass line on 'Money' song? Was it Roger or David? I always assumed it's Roger, but...?
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

space triangle wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:39 pm Btw, who played that famous intro bass line on 'Money' song? Was it Roger or David? I always assumed it's Roger, but...?
Play the studio and a live Roger version back to back? But then which live performance? Might be unfair to use a recent show. But if there's live 73 footage, should be able to narrow it down.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

Well Roger wrote the riff and obviously played it live, though Dave may have double-tracked it like on "One of The Days", in addition to playing it an octave higher on guitar. Dave definitely played it on the 1981 re-recording, along with just about everything else.
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

Jimi Dean Barrett wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:15 pm
space triangle wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:39 pm Btw, who played that famous intro bass line on 'Money' song? Was it Roger or David? I always assumed it's Roger, but...?
Play the studio and a live Roger version back to back? But then which live performance? Might be unfair to use a recent show. But if there's live 73 footage, should be able to narrow it down.
I thought I answered this, but it seems not.

Dave played bass on Young Lust, but Rog plays it quite well live. So, I'm not sure the comparison method would work.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

In the Classic Albums documentary, Roger plays along with the record, and during the simple descending bassline in the 4/4 section, he laughs and says "that sounds like me."
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

Roger the 'master' of slide whistle 8)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sY35KtntPeU
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

To play slide whistle properly requires a musical ear. Maybe not for effects, but to play it properly.
DarkSideFreak
Knife
Knife

Post by DarkSideFreak »

Jimi Dean Barrett wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:15 pm
I actually really like Roger's bass sound on the live recordings we've gotten from 1971 and 1973. He's not particularly flashy but his tone/presence is a completely different beast to what we get on the studio recordings... few exceptions (Let there Be More Light, Dogs) aside. Partially this may have been out of necessity since the band had no second guitarist, but I think it's a shame Roger didn't really consider that a feature of his.

Of course it can never be put aside that he was the only member who did not play his regular instrument at all on Ummagumma...
TheBassistGirl
Embryo
Embryo

Post by TheBassistGirl »

Follix wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:24 pm My favorite Floyd bass lines are ''Pigs'', ''Sheep'' and ''Hey You''... Oh wait :lol:
Did you know that Roger wrote the bass line for Sheep? Yeah, actually quite fun, since you only like it because Gilmour played it.