Pink Floyd's Saucerful of Secrets

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Re: Pink Floyd's Saucerful of Secrets

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

Gilmour has said that he's "not very good at holding grudges for a very long time", so if he and Carin did have a falling out of some sort, hopefully they can patch things up if he tours again.

The full quote that the line is from:

Q Magazine, 1990
Do you foresee a day when you will shake hands and put all this behind you?
I don't foresee it. I'm not very good at holding grudges for a very long time, but he's done some terrible things. Honesty is not one of the things that he will let get in the way of his pursuit of power. All we did was thwart his plan to go off round the world doing a huge grand show, calling it Roger Waters of Pink Floyd in huge letters, and take over the name himself by us not being on the scene. I'm 100% certain that's what he intended to do, and us going out as Pink Floyd rather put the mockers on it. And his career hasn't exactly taken off since he left.
Kerry King
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Kerry King »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:29 am
Kerry King wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:29 am
Where and when?
He's a highly proficient multi-instrumentalist with a deep knowledge of synthesis, and has handled Gilmour and Wright's vocal duties on several tours without sounding anywhere near as douchey as Waters' many other vocalists.
Sure. He's average. Nothing brilliant happening there. Gilmour is brilliant. Jon Carin is just another highly proficient musician.
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

Kerry King wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:33 am
ZiggyZipgun wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:29 am

He's a highly proficient multi-instrumentalist with a deep knowledge of synthesis, and has handled Gilmour and Wright's vocal duties on several tours without sounding anywhere near as douchey as Waters' many other vocalists.
Sure. He's average. Nothing brilliant happening there. Gilmour is brilliant. Jon Carin is just another highly proficient Session musician.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

Last edited by ZiggyZipgun on Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:53 pm https://youtu.be/ANU05p0wAlo0
This video is not working.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

space triangle wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:30 pmThis video is not working.
https://youtu.be/ANU05p0wAlo
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

One thing i dont get though he has a good singing voice, his vocals on ITF 2000 Dogs is awesome yet on Rogers last tour the guy singing it was awful, why Roger never let Jon sing it again or do more vocals is odd he is more then capable for vocals.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

Keith Jordan wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:48 pm Love this....

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2cdh2f
This is a great version! You need to set up the **Like** button.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

Keith Jordan wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:48 pm Love this....

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2cdh2f
The separation of the guitars in the surround sound was pretty damn impressive during the show in Pittsburgh.

With that said, I had really mixed feelings during that show, way back in 1999, and I still do.

I guess I can compare it to Gilmour's version of "Fat Old Sun" from 2001/2002, which simply skipped the guitar solo - and in that stripped down, acoustic format, it was perfectly acceptable. When I hear Roger's band play something like "Dogs", they could completely skip all of the guitar solos, because it has nothing to with Roger. If they're going to play the solos note-for-note according to the studio versions, it might as well be Brit Floyd With Occasional Special Guest Roger Waters. The footage I've seen of the "Pink Floyd & Beyond" shows is great, because they play it like they wrote it, and they definitely focus more on the feeling of the song rather than something someone else improvised one time. Gilmour says he always starts the second solo in "Comfortably Numb" with the same note...but after that, anything goes - and for the most part, he gives everyone in his band the same freedom, as long as it's not "jarring". Roger's lip-syncing on that tour was hard to miss, and it made these other songs where he's just playing bass feel like miming as well.
Kerry King
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Kerry King »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:17 pm
space triangle wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:30 pmThis video is not working.
https://youtu.be/ANU05p0wAlo
Was this submitted as evidence of Jon Carin's brilliance?

It's nostalgia and I'm bored.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

Kerry King wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:12 amIt's nostalgia and I'm bored.
Hasn't that been Roger's schtick for the past 20 years?

At any rate, when an accomplished musician, such as Jon Carin or Guy Pratt, also receives songwriting credit, wouldn't that make them more of a "longtime collaborator" than a "session musician"?

(Carin shared the credit for "Learning to Fly", while Pratt wrote the chord progression for "Wearing the Inside Out" - but didn't receive any credit! Though he has for work with other artists.)

All this talk of session musicians reminds me of the four ¡#@$%&! bass players Roger employed on Amused to Death.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

Kerry King wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:33 amNothing brilliant happening there.
"Jon Carin was a brilliant keyboard player who I met doing Live Aid, which I did with Bryan Ferry, and Jon was in the band and he was very, very good." - David Gilmour

"This is the third of our Encores from the Us and Them tour. This is the first one with any overdubs, not an easy trick to pull off remotely, luckily the Band are all brilliant." - Roger Waters
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

^^^
Ziggy you would seem to be better suited to an exclusively 'David Gilmour forum', than the 'Pink Floyd forum'. It seems problematic to you that Roger Waters was one of the main pillars of the Pink Floyd. Btw, I think this other thread(and a article) is a good read for you:

Steven Wilson: Roger Waters Is Arguably the Worst Musician in Pink Floyd, Yet He's Behind Most of Their Groundbreaking Music

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/ge ... music.html

Steven Wilson certainly knows a lot more about music than many others.

And one more thing: Before Gilmour joined the Pink Floyd (where certain Roger Waters was a member) all David Gilmour managed to do was to release a one single with a little-known Cambridge based band Joker's Wild.

David Gilmour on joining the Pink Floyd: "Dave Gilmour was pleased to be asked.' Not being a complete fool, I said yes. Pink Floyd was a fairly well known band at the time, and I was pleased to join the band'.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

space triangle wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:48 amIt seems problematic to you that Roger Waters was one of the main pillars of the Pink Floyd.
Not at all - I'm just disappointed with his output after he left.

Actually, Jokers Wild only pressed a small number of copies of that 'single' and gave it away to their friends. They also changed their name twice after that and played all over France until all of their gear was stolen. Gilmour also sang two songs on the soundtrack to a Brigette Bardot film, which was enough of a résumé to drown in p*ssy in 1967.