Pink Floyd's Saucerful of Secrets

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Re: Pink Floyd's Saucerful of Secrets

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

space triangle wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:48 amAnd one more thing: Before Gilmour joined the Pink Floyd (where certain Roger Waters was a member) all David Gilmour managed to do was to release a one single with a little-known Cambridge based band Joker's Wild.
Also, how much of Pink Floyd's success up to that point are you crediting Roger Waters with? What a weird point to make.

My only issue with this and similar forums is that people like to participate in circular arguments by repeatedly misquoting the same snippets with little or not context. As you may have noticed, I make an effort to find the original article(s) and reference both Waters' and Gilmour's points of view. Or sometimes I just have to Google "jon carin" +"brilliant".
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:41 am I make an effort to find the original article(s)..
My references are ofta the Pink Floyd books I have. Not only Google and Internet articles. For example this statement by Gilmour when he became a member of the Pink Floyd is taken from the book Pink Floyd - The Visual Documentary by Miles & Andy Mabbet.

"Dave Gilmour was pleased to be asked.' Not being a complete fool, I said yes. Pink Floyd was a fairly well known band at the time, and I was pleased to join the band''.

But, I get bored of writing a source every time, if a source is a book. It's not like the Internet, just click 'copy and paste'. :D
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

I'm not suggesting that you should cite a source. I'm not sure how your quote adds anything to the discussion, or even the point you were trying to make. The "Google and internet articles" you alluded to are mostly interviews that are found on a specific section of Neptune Pink Floyd and similar sites. I have a lot of Pink Floyd books as well - including one that Gilmour sued to have taken off the market because a lot of it was just guesswork and speculation. Magazine articles tend to be a little more current, and they usually get to see a draft before it goes to print. A lot of quotes found in those books are, again, incomplete interviews that were taken from magazine articles.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

space triangle wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:48 amI was pleased to join the band'.
He's also said that he didn't like their music when he joined. :lol:
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:15 amHe's also said that he didn't like their music when he joined.
He also said: ''I'd only seen the band a two or three times before I joined, and they were plying Bo Diddley'' 8)
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

This is about as enlightening as your speculation that Pink Anderson and Floyd Council may have been musical influences on the band. Feel free to sit through those records and tally up the similarities.