Pink Floyd - Delicate Sound Of Thunder

Discussions about Pink Floyd and Solo Official Album CDs and DVDs.

Rate this album

5 - Best
18%
27%
34%
11%
1 - Worst
9%

Total votes: 44

Vincenzo Coccotti
Embryo
Embryo

Re: Pink Floyd - Delicate Sound Of Thunder

Post by Vincenzo Coccotti »

J Ed wrote:Ive never owned this album in any shape or form
Ive got the same issues as I do with PULSE, the performances are too sterile and too close to the studio originals to qualify as a decent live album
Ive posted further thoughts on this album (and its video counterpart) on the MLoR thread
but I did see them on this tour, two nights in a row, so the official live album release can never live up to my memories anyway

as with PULSE, I think the outofprint VHS concert video is more essential, as the thing they could give us in concert you cant get on your hifi at home is that legendary visual experience
fortunately there is a welldistributed slicklooking pirate dvd of the old VHS video currently available in respectable mainstream stores, its kind of cool to compare and contrast with the more posterity-minded PULSE
Too close to the studio originals? Really? Have you even listened to this live album? On the Turning Away is about two minutes longer than the original and has a much better guitar solo here. I can say the same thing about Comfortably Numb. All the Momentary tracks have a beautiful live mood on this album, which makes them sound an awful lot better than the studio originals, where they have this distinctive eighties feel all over them.

I can't tell you how much I disagree with you here. But I guess we are all entitled to our opinions.
Follix
Knife
Knife

Post by Follix »

Vincenzo Coccotti wrote:All the Momentary tracks have a beautiful live mood on this album, which makes them sound an awful lot better than the studio originals
Agreed about, there is a world of difference between Sorrow live and studio, especially.
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

Repeated on Sky Arts at 9:00pm on 02/07/2016.
moodyblue
Hammer
Hammer

Post by moodyblue »

Was so excited when this was released. To re-live those concerts at the time was so wonderful. I was SOOOOO into it all back then.
Much prefer this over 'Pulse' as this was the more polished record. Overdubs galore in the studio?
moodyblue
Hammer
Hammer

Post by moodyblue »

Was so excited when this was released. To re-live those concerts at the time was so wonderful. I was SOOOOO into it all back then.
Much prefer this over 'Pulse' as this was the more polished record. Overdubs galore in the studio?
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

Delicate Sound of Thunder - in cinemas October 15th, one night only!

Just announced - Pink Floyd: Delicate Sound of Thunder will be shown in cinemas for the first time on October 15th. You can experience the restored, remixed and re-edited film of the 1988 New York performance in your nearest participating cinema. Those of you who have seen the new version via the Later Years box set will know what an incredible job has been done with this, so a great opportunity to see it on a large screen, with a great sound system (including Dolby Atmos at participating cinemas).

https://www.brain-damage.co.uk/latest/d ... night.html
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

space triangle wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:55 pm Delicate Sound of Thunder - in cinemas October 15th, one night only!
This was announced on the 20th, postponed on the 21st, and copied from an internet article on the 29th. Gee thanks. Make sure you let us know a month after they reschedule it so we miss out entirely.
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:14 pmThis was announced on the 20th, postponed on the 21st, and copied from an internet article on the 29th. Gee thanks. Make sure you let us know a month after they reschedule it so we miss out entirely.
Ok. Thanks for the information.
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

I watched DSOT over the weekend and it was brilliant the re-edit and picture quality is amazing
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Unfortunately the Oct 15th cinema screening has been cancelled.
Master_Chief
Blade
Blade

Post by Master_Chief »

Maybe they should stop this nonsense and just release it on Blu-Ray as a standalone concert like Pulse.

That would certainly make the YouTube channels uploading snippets of it and such look like fools, and plus they pretty much uploaded the entirety of Pulse "remastered" individually.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Definitely think it should be sold standalone, there would be a lot of demand for it, more so than the big box of goodies which is beyond reach for many. Pretty impressive box-set.

I think I might spin up the DSoT bluray this weekend actually with a nice beer. 8)
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

I watched DSOT Blu-Ray other day and it was so good. I agree it really should be released standalone as it would generate good sales Its amazing what they have done with the footage with the re-edit so crisp and clear.

I got the boxset at the end of January but i'm surprised how the price has not gone down at all over the year.
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

On top of November Cinema run (of one day?) yet another 2CD, 3LP, 4CD box set!

https://www.loudersound.com/news/pink-f ... me-release
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

This is well worth getting, looks and sounds great from watching it out of the Later Years box set.

https://www.neptunepinkfloyd.co.uk/deli ... ed-remixed

What are your thoughts on it?