TGGITS - The Second Best Vocal Performance in Rock History

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Re: TGGITS - The Second Best Vocal Performance in Rock History

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

"She [Torry] had done a covers album; I can remember that she did a version of "Light My Fire." I just thought she had a great voice. When the situation came up, they started head-scratching, saying, "Who are we going to get to sing on this?" I said, "I've got an idea – I know this girl." She came, and in a couple of hours it was all done. She had to be told not to sing any words: when she first started, she was doing "Oh yeah baby" and all that kind of stuff, so she had to be restrained on that. But there was no real direction – she just had to feel it." - Alan Parsons
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

I really want to hear her version of "Light My Fire" now, as terrible as it might be.
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:08 pm I really want to hear her version of "Light My Fire" now, as terrible as it might be.
I had a quick search, and didn't find it. I did find her doing wordless vocals with Tangerine Dream. Her part in the track is much more subtle than TGGITS.

https://youtu.be/pUJugqgWxBY
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:08 pmI really want to hear her version of "Light My Fire" now, as terrible as it might be.
''Abbey Road Studios engineer Alan Parsons claimed to have heard EMI staff songwriter and session singer Clare Torry do a version of "Light My Fire" by The Doors on a cover album. Clare Torry disagreed insisting, "I don't sound anything like Jim Morrison! I never sang 'Light My Fire.'"
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

Annoying Twit wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:31 pmI did find her doing wordless vocals with Tangerine Dream. Her part in the track is much more subtle than TGGITS.
That must be Roger Waters playing the shakuhachi!
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:35 pm That must be Roger Waters playing the shakuhachi!
:D :D :D
Kerry King
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Kerry King »

space triangle wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:00 am
Kerry King wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:38 am Seriously, space triangle. You've given no source for this list. Or am I blind?
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/musi ... ds-232565/

Yeah it's a bit older article. But, I searched and not found it discussed here on the NPF forum before. So I thought It would be interesting to se what a people here think about it anyway.
Thank you. I figured it was RS. We can only hope the mainstream children of the future will find something better than RS when they want to read about music.

Clare Torry is an amazing vocalist. No question. It goes without saying that pink floyd liked the take. It's not my cup of tea. I'd rather hear her sing a Rick Wright melody.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

What's unfortunate is that for the rest of her career, other artists (including The Alan Parsons Project) hired her to try to get something like "The Great Gig in the Sky" - a very odd pigeonhole to be in. She did provide backing vocals on The Wall, and if Radio KAOS has one redeeming quality (it doesn't), it would be Clare's vocals. The other female vocalists that Roger has worked with from Pros and Cons onward just never seemed to fit his style of music - or, more accurately, his style of music clearly changed after he left the Floyd, and I don't enjoy it as much.
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

Maybe a little bit silly question but .... Has any male singer ever tried to do TGGITS cover? :D
I checked a most of the videos on YT, and all of them are just female covers. You Ziggy, you are a educated musician so could it be even possible for a man to do The Great Gig In The Sky cover?
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

space triangle wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:52 am Has any male singer ever tried to do TGGITS cover?
https://youtu.be/jXRJSyHuG2I
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

space triangle wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:52 am You Ziggy, you are a educated musician so could it be even possible for a man to do The Great Gig In The Sky cover?
I'm sure someone could naturally, but I think you underestimate just how fucked up humans are.

cas·tra·to
/kaˈsträdō/

a male singer castrated in boyhood so as to retain a soprano or alto voice.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castrato
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

I never hear anyone mention that in most live versions, Gilmour mimics the vocals with the lap steel during the quieter parts near the end, and it's brilliant.
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:01 pm "Clare Torry didn't really look the part. She was Alan Parsons' idea. We wanted to put a girl on there, screaming orgasmically. Alan had worked with her previously, so we gave her a try. And she was fantastic. We had to encourage her a little bit. We gave her some dynamic hints: "Maybe you'd like to do this piece quietly, and this piece louder." She did maybe half a dozen takes, and then afterwards we compiled the final performance out of all the bits. It wasn't done in one single take." - DG
This text is a bit ambiguous. I think that it means that the idea of putting female vocals on there was down to PF, but the actual choice of Torry was down to Alan Parsons.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

Annoying Twit wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:41 am I think that it means that the idea of putting female vocals on there was down to PF, but the actual choice of Torry was down to Alan Parsons.
Agreed.
DarkSideFreak
Knife
Knife

Post by DarkSideFreak »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:35 am What's unfortunate is that for the rest of her career, other artists (including The Alan Parsons Project) hired her to try to get something like "The Great Gig in the Sky" - a very odd pigeonhole to be in.
Actually, her guest feature with The Project is nothing like Great Gig!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6s5jTXAqq7E
Annoying Twit wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:41 am This text is a bit ambiguous. I think that it means that the idea of putting female vocals on there was down to PF, but the actual choice of Torry was down to Alan Parsons.
Yes, and Alan himself was a bit reluctant at first, I think... see the early 1972 mix with the NASA voices.

So, AP came up with the choice of vocalist, but the initial idea of having a female singer was the band's.