No Roger No Floyd!!

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
vizor
Axe
Axe

Re: No Roger No Floyd!!

Post by vizor »

"Speaking to Rolling Stone’s Kory Grow, Waters was discussing his passion for environmental advocacy when Gilmour’s name came up (Grow mentioned Gilmour donated proceeds from the sales of his guitars to fight climate change). Waters expressed gratitude for Gilmour’s gesture but then noted his former band mate had blocked promotion of Us + Them on the official Pink Floyd website.

Waters then revealed he spoke with Gilmour in June, but asserted, “We had a big meeting where I came up with a big peace plan that has come to nothing, sadly.” Grow responded that he was sorry to hear that, to which Waters replied:

I know you are. I bet all Pink Floyd fans are sorry to hear that. They all hoped that we could kiss and make up and everything would be wonderful in a cozy, wonderful world. Well, it wouldn’t be all that cozy or wonderful for me, because I left Pink Floyd in 1985 for a reason. The reason being that I wanted to get on with my work."

https://www.jambase.com/article/killing ... ineup-2019

Seems like there is Pink Floyd without Roger. And it consumes him that's the way it is. Hmmmmm. Consumed while eating crow......
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

If Roger came up with a peace plan, and it was rejected, then I can imagine him being hurt and to make comments like the ones above.

It's also a bit disappointing that Us + Them wouldn't be promoted on the official PF site.

I'm still more on Dave's side than Rog's side concerning what has happened in the time from the lead-up to Rog's split from PF. (Starting years in advance.) And, I don't know what Rog's peace plan was, and whether it was reasonable or unreasonable for Dave to reject it.

Personally I think that Dave + Rog will never work together again apart from occasionally charity things, and perhaps not even that. I'm just happy that they're still producing quality music.
Kerry King
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Kerry King »

Annoying Twit wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:14 am If Roger came up with a peace plan, and it was rejected, then I can imagine him being hurt and to make comments like the ones above.
Waters started the fight and then came up with a peace plan. He wants to spread the ideal of humanity in the world but can't even get along with the ones with whom he created all of the good work. The work which keeps us paying attention to him in the first place. Maybe he could have tried to hold a marriage or two together before he started trying to save the whole world. Each small candle...
Yucateco
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by Yucateco »

Kerry King wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:19 am Waters started the fight and then came up with a peace plan. He wants to spread the ideal of humanity in the world but can't even get along with the ones with whom he created all of the good work. The work which keeps us paying attention to him in the first place. Maybe he could have tried to hold a marriage or two together before he started trying to save the whole world. Each small candle...
Can´t understand why somebody would bring up personal lifes in a business argument (Floyd is nothing more than a business these days), but they are all not in their first marriage anymore :roll:
Kerry King
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Kerry King »

Yucateco wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:06 am
Kerry King wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:19 am Waters started the fight and then came up with a peace plan. He wants to spread the ideal of humanity in the world but can't even get along with the ones with whom he created all of the good work. The work which keeps us paying attention to him in the first place. Maybe he could have tried to hold a marriage or two together before he started trying to save the whole world. Each small candle...
Can´t understand why somebody would bring up personal lifes in a business argument (Floyd is nothing more than a business these days), but they are all not in their first marriage anymore :roll:
Stop rolling your eyes and allow me to explain it to you. The marriage thing was hardly personal. Or were the marriages supposed to be a secret? I took a rather gentle swipe at Waters because he is still taking swipes at Gilmour this late in the game. It's nice of you to defend him but I think, for example, calling Mary Whitehouse a pig for the whole world to hear was a bit more harsh than me referencing failed marriages. Don't misunderstand, my opinion has nothing to do with anyone's politics.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

From the same 1992 Musician interview with Gilmour that I've been referencing a lot lately:

MR: You envision another tour?

DG: Yeah. I don't think I could handle another tour doing the same material. And having moved from a Pink Floyd that did basically the newest album on all our old tours to a sort of greatest-hits show last time, I couldn't do that same show. And we did pick all the numbers that we liked - more than we felt justified in doing - that I had sung or had major involvement in.

MR: If Nick decided he didn't want to do it, would you still do it as Pink Floyd?

DG: Yeah, I think so. But I don't think that's a problem. I want Nick and Rick to do it. You can never quite tell what makes something have its magic, and the more you fuck with it, the more you get away from that. And I don't want to fuck with it. I like it as is. I liked it when Roger was there too, but that's outside my control. What I can do to maintain it is what I'm doing.

Also consider Nick Mason's statement (can't find the exact quote at the moment) that he could easily see Pink Floyd continuing beyond their lifetimes, with different musicians replacing each of them...which some would say we already have, with "Brit Floyd" et al. But while Roger and Dave may or may not be okay with those bands playing their songs (they certainly don't let them use the screen films), Nick would be apparently be fine with letting them use the name as well.
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

^^^

The case of the YES band is quite interesting. Throughout the history of the band, 19 members have been a members of the band. At the one point, four of these later members formed a own band, and the original members left. And now for the last 15-20 years there are actually two YES competing with each other.

Yes vs. Yes

https://lasvegasweekly.com/ae/music/201 ... rock-band/

Btw. Roger once said that anything is possible in the future. Including that their children could found Pink Floyd II and continue the history and tradition of the Pink Floyd on their own.
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

Well Gong have carried on with a different line up. I sort of respected Pink Floyd for not going down the Yes route.
And we didn't end up in a King Crimson, whoever the guitarist says is in the band.
We'll never see Waters or Gilmour sit down and say "Well ok, what would you have done with my material?".
I suppose that bullshit deal where O'Rourke put together that caused Waters to split. Even then, I've probably got that wrong. Dereliction of care and opulent apathy sandwich?
Or maybe Roger just wanted out but was still under contract?
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

space triangle wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:47 pmBtw. Roger once said that anything is possible in the future. Including that their children could found Pink Floyd II and continue the history and tradition of the Pink Floyd on their own.
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

I've always wondered if - had they broken up on better terms - if Rog could have continued as lyricist with the other three continuing the band. Rog had and still has plenty of capacity to write far more than he has, and I don't think it would have prevented him following his own projects.

I'm not saying this ever would have happened - they came nowhere near it. But, if things had ended up that way, I think that PF would have been better than it ever was after The Wall.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

Annoying Twit wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:00 pm I've always wondered if - had they broken up on better terms - if Rog could have continued as lyricist with the other three continuing the band.
I could see that happening around 1974 - specifically based on Rick Wright's comments at the time:

"We've been talking about it lately, actually, about...maybe it's about time that the Floyd, say, work for six months months as a group, and another six months as individuals, where anything can happen - maybe two of the members play together, maybe we'd form other bands in that six months, whatever, you know. Jefferson Airplane I guess is the nearest thing to it. And I think it's a good idea, I mean, we've been playing for eight years. Eight years. Long time. And all of us, I think, have got plans that we want to do that don't necessarily involve working with the group. And I think if we could get rid of this and release these things we want to do, it'll help the group as well."

In the same interview, he said that he could see Roger going on to write musicals or other theatrical works.
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

Annoying Twit wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:00 pm- if Rog could have continued as lyricist with the other three continuing the band.
Uh, It would have been eerily the same role that was first intended for Syd Barrett when he went crazy. To sit at home and write a songs, while other guys continuing in the band. I can already imagine Roger sitting at home writing world-famous lyric for 'Shine On You Crazy Rog'. :)
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

space triangle wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:42 am Uh, It would have been eerily the same role that was first intended for Syd Barrett when he went crazy. To sit at home and write a songs, while other guys continuing in the band. I can already imagine Roger sitting at home writing world-famous lyric for 'Shine On You Crazy Rog'. :)
Yes. But, despite Roger's personality quirks, he's not debilitatingly unwell and could have done this.

Note: I'm not suggesting that there was any realistic chance it could have happened as both Rog and Pink Floyd would have had no interest in doing that - I believe. But, it would have been perhaps the best result in some alternate universe.

Oh, and I wasn't suggesting that Rog. would stay home and write songs. If you look at my post, I suggested that this would be in parallel with his solo activities. And, writing demos for whole albums is something Roger definitely did do.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

Here's the Rick Wright interview I mentioned:

https://youtu.be/xc2dbQ5IPjY

The thing that puzzles me is, what stuff was Roger writing in 1974, outside of Pink Floyd, that Rick had heard or seen or possibly even worked on? They always made it clear that were weren't a lot of unreleased recordings in the vaults - but maybe there was stuff that they'd rehearsed but never actually recorded.
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:48 am The thing that puzzles me is, what stuff was Roger writing in 1974, outside of Pink Floyd, that Rick had heard or seen or possibly even worked on? They always made it clear that were weren't a lot of unreleased recordings in the vaults - but maybe there was stuff that they'd rehearsed but never actually recorded.
I'll have to listen tot he interview when I can as today will be a crunch day at work. But, Rog strikes me as the king of artist who would be very prolific in his writing. He did have demos for both TW and PaCoHH written, etc. He mentioned writing songs about all sorts of different topics early on in PF. But, he hasn't actually released all that much. I would be very surprised if there isn't a massive amount of unreleased Roger Waters material stored away somewhere.