No Roger No Floyd!!

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Re: No Roger No Floyd!!

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

Annoying Twit wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:00 pm I've always wondered if - had they broken up on better terms - if Rog could have continued as lyricist with the other three continuing the band.
I listened to an interview with Ginger Gilmour the other day, from when she released a book titled Memoirs from the Bright Side of the Moon about five years ago. First of all, she's a real weirdo. However, she had some interesting stories about the Floyd tours of the '70s. The most fascinating tidbit is that following the spitting incident at the end of the In the Flesh tour - but before they were made aware of the Norton Warburg financial issue - she and David spent several weeks in Hawaii, and enjoyed it so much, they started looking to for a house there...with no intention to go back!
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:09 pm
Annoying Twit wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:00 pm I've always wondered if - had they broken up on better terms - if Rog could have continued as lyricist with the other three continuing the band.
I listened to an interview with Ginger Gilmour the other day, from when she released a book titled Memoirs from the Bright Side of the Moon about five years ago. First of all, she's a real weirdo. However, she had some interesting stories about the Floyd tours of the '70s. The most fascinating tidbit is that following the spitting incident at the end of the In the Flesh tour - but before they were made aware of the Norton Warburg financial issue - she and David spent several weeks in Hawaii, and enjoyed it so much, they started looking to for a house there...with no intention to go back!
Thanks for the comment. But, I must admit that I'm not sure how it is related to the bit of my post that you quoted. Could you please explain?
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

Annoying Twit wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:17 pmI must admit that I'm not sure how it is related to the bit of my post that you quoted. Could you please explain?
Just to speculate that there were other ways that the whole thing could have played out. What would the other three have done without Dave?
Kerry King
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Kerry King »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:54 am
Kerry King wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:50 am Ray Davies.
George Harrison.
Dave Davies.

You're missing out if you have not heard the Kinks material from the' 70s. You bothered with Bowie but not Ray Davies? Bowie was a sponge. In the 70's he was soaking up other artist's innovations and turning them into safe, mainstream, commercial product. He was good at it. He fucked up the Lou Reed and Stooges albums but he was just trying to help. If you sat through Young Americans allow me to suggest The Kinks- Preservation 1&2. It's overlong, pretentious and often great.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

Kerry King wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:47 amIf you sat through Young Americans allow me to suggest The Kinks- Preservation 1&2. It's overlong, pretentious and often great.
Alright, I'm sold. I fucking love 80% of Young Americans.

Thinking about John Lennon as a writer, since Roger mentioned him...much like Roger, there was a specific window of time when he was a great writer. Most of his solo career was made up of sloppy, throwaway songs that he sometimes over-produced anyway. But during that window of time, he was phenomenal.
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:19 pm Just to speculate that there were other ways that the whole thing could have played out. What would the other three have done without Dave?
Tricky. In the real world, Rog would probably eased the others out and Pink Floyd would have become effectively a Roger Waters solo project.

If we're allowed to just make stuff up as I did in my posts above, perhaps Rick and Roger could have started working together more, and Rick could have provided the musicality that was missing from TFC and TPaCoHH (now a Floyd album). However, I suspect that they still would have produced an attempt to stay current in the 1980s, like Radio Waves. Rick was involved with the Zee - Identity album. In the same way that Rog was never replaced as a full member of the band with a new bassist, I suspect that they wouldn't have added a new guitarist to the group but would have worked with session people and famous guests. Nick would have kept on playing in the band but in his straightforward drummer role.
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

Annoying Twit wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:44 am In the real world, Rog would probably eased the others out and Pink Floyd would have become effectively a Roger Waters solo project.
I'm not so sure about it. Don't forget Roger and Nick they have always been close friends. The two are the 'embryo' of Pink Floyd. With 'David out of the band' I believe Roger, Nick och even Rick would cooperate more easily. As Roger once said around 85/86: What Gilmour wants? He was always 'new' in the band. He came last in the Pink Floyd!. :lol:
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

space triangle wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:54 am I'm not so sure about it. Don't forget Roger and Nick they have always been close friends. The two are the 'embryo' of Pink Floyd. With 'David out of the band' I believe Roger, Nick och even Rick would cooperate more easily. As Roger once said around 85/86: What Gilmour wants? He was always 'new' in the band. He came last in the Pink Floyd!. :lol:
I'm not sure that they were that close friends in 1986-87, and it took Roger a long time to get over that. However, being friends does not mean that they would have been able to coexist in a band together. The history of rock is full of ruined friendships that didn't survive being in a band together. Of course the circumstances of 1986-7 wouldn't have happened in this alternate universe, but it's clear the potential for conflict and falling out was there.

I don't think that Roger was ready to cooperate easily with anyone in the 1980s. I think he would have wanted to do things his way, and other band-members would always put a brake on that.

Even now Mason says that they wouldn't want to form a band together because they each want to do things their own way. https://cosmicmagazine.com.au/news/pink-floyd-5/ In this interview, Nick mentions meeting Roger and making up their differences. That implies that for a while they weren't close friends. https://www.brain-damage.co.uk/archive/ ... ished.html
Kerry King
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Kerry King »

"In a sales culture like ours, the fans invariably take over, preferring copies to originals because they're cheaper and last longer" - john lombardi , Esquire 1988

That helps explain the popularity of tribute bands and guys like Bowie and Springsteen.
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

Kerry King wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:06 pm "In a sales culture like ours, the fans invariably take over, preferring copies to originals because they're cheaper and last longer" - john lombardi , Esquire 1988

That helps explain the popularity of tribute bands and guys like Bowie and Springsteen.
I'm not sure what this have to do wihh the thread title ''No Roger No Floyd!!*?
Kerry King
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Kerry King »

space triangle wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:23 am
Kerry King wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:06 pm "In a sales culture like ours, the fans invariably take over, preferring copies to originals because they're cheaper and last longer" - john lombardi , Esquire 1988

I'm not sure what this have to do wihh the thread title ''No Roger No Floyd!!*?
It helps explain why many people don't need Waters to enjoy floyd. They might be even happier with a cheap knock off of floyd.

It also responds to this post...
Gilmour did say that "Waterloo Sunset" is the one song he wishes he had written. I would put George Harrison in that Top 5, though not necessarily above Roger, along with Townsend and Bowie
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

They might be even happier with a cheap knock off of floyd.
Thats why there is Brit and Aussie Floyd
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

azza200 wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:30 pm Thats why there is Brit and Aussie Floyd
Which puzzles me. I've seen them twice (or once each - they're complicated), and it's fine, but I don't understand why people get so excited about it. They did play "Summer '68" at the last one, and that was nice to hear. But it was no Roger Waters, and it was certainly no Saucerful of Secrets - and nothing will ever top David Gilmour live!
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:49 ambut I don't understand why people get so excited about it.
Generally I'am not at all fan of Pink Floyd cover bands. But, there is a one exception. RPWL playing a complete 'The Man and The Journey' suite.
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:49 am
azza200 wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:30 pm Thats why there is Brit and Aussie Floyd
Which puzzles me. I've seen them twice (or once each - they're complicated), and it's fine, but I don't understand why people get so excited about it. They did play "Summer '68" at the last one, and that was nice to hear. But it was no Roger Waters, and it was certainly no Saucerful of Secrets - and nothing will ever top David Gilmour live!
They are good if peoole want too get their Floyd live fix or maybe too show their children what PF were like live