No Roger No Floyd!!

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Re: No Roger No Floyd!!

Post by Annoying Twit »

azza200 wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:07 am They are good if peoole want too get their Floyd live fix or maybe too show their children what PF were like live
I would have liked to have seen more live Floyd. I saw them first in 1988 which was the first time they played in a country I was in at the time. There isn't much in the way of high quality video of earlier Floyd tours. So, if I want to see 'The Man and the Journey' live, then the RPWL DVD (which I own) is good to watch. So is my Brit Floyd. If there were high quality recordings of Floyd doing this music, I'd buy and watch that. But, there isn't.

I wouldn't buy a tribute band live video of Dave or Rog playing live, as there is plenty of material to cover that. And, I'm looking forward to Nick's DVD. But, Floyd as a whole? There's a gap to be filled.
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

Roger needs too release The Wall 80-81 footage on Blu-Ray, i cant wait either for Nicks release
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

azza200 wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:44 am Roger needs too release The Wall 80-81 footage on Blu-Ray, i cant wait either for Nicks release
Does it exist in good quality? I've seen clips on youtube, but the visuals are poor. (I'd still buy a DVD/Blu-Ray in a heartbeat.)
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

The Man and The Journey would be interesting to see, by anyone - do they also build a table on stage and sit down for a cup of tea?

I think anyone performing live should be able to interpret the songs how they see fit, and some will be better at that than others. The guys in Saucerful of Secrets do an amazing job, and none of them are concerned about playing a particular version note-for-note.

David Bowie rarely played things based on the studio versions, and hired musicians that he could just turn loose to do whatever they wanted; there are now three or four live albums just from his crazy 1974 tour, and they're all very different but equally brilliant. Even playing other artists' songs, he always made them his own. Over many years, his older songs evolved, and he would even transpose them if he couldn't sing them as well in their original key. I've never heard anyone claim that he ever used pre-recorded vocals; if couldn't sing them well in any key, he wouldn't do them at all.

When I saw Aussie Pink Floyd about ten years ago, they had the screen but I don’t think they had any screen films - they just projected the lights on it to create effects. The Brit Floyd show that I saw (earlier this year, I think? I've lost all perception of time but I couldn't say no to free tickets) had screen films, but they were all CGI, based on the originals, and they just looked stupid. Couple that with most of the audience's obnoxious enthusiasm, and I just kept looking around thinking, how drunk are you people? The fact that people have made this into a cottage industry just hurts my brain.
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:50 am The Man and The Journey would be interesting to see, by anyone - do they also build a table on stage and sit down for a cup of tea?
To be honest, I can't remember if they do that on the DVD. However, I googled and found an interview, and RPWL have done that in some theatres. http://www.reinventingpinkfloyd.com/exc ... views.html
When I saw Aussie Pink Floyd about ten years ago, they had the screen but I don’t think they had any screen films - they just projected the lights on it to create effects. The Brit Floyd show that I saw (earlier this year, I think? I've lost all perception of time but I couldn't say no to free tickets) had screen films, but they were all CGI, based on the originals, and they just looked stupid. Couple that with most of the audience's obnoxious enthusiasm, and I just kept looking around thinking, how drunk are you people? The fact that people have made this into a cottage industry just hurts my brain.
I haven't seen Aussie Pink Floyd, though I suppose I should have as they come here once a year or so. (Probably not this year.) Brit Floyd, however, have a very professional looking stage show. The size of the audience is amazing.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

Annoying Twit wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:01 amI haven't seen Aussie Pink Floyd, though I suppose I should have as they come here once a year or so. (Probably not this year.) Brit Floyd, however, have a very professional looking stage show.
I think the lead guitarist and several others from Brit Floyd were still with Aussie Pink Floyd when I saw them.
Annoying Twit wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:01 amThe size of the audience is amazing.
They do pride themselves on recreating every painful detail.
DarkSideFreak
Knife
Knife

Post by DarkSideFreak »

The big thing about RPWL is that they are actually a creative group, not just a cover band - they started out as such, but quickly started making their own music. Which is obviously Floydian in some regards, but they can just go and do DSOTM in full when they feel like it because it's a fun side project. With Aussie Floyd and the like, it does feel more shallow to me. (I did see the Aussie Floyds, but I had won the tickets. I thought it was too loud, and having a singer just stand at the mike was odd. But their screen films - mostly self-produced, sometimes featuring Australian imagery - were great and hearing all nine parts of Shine On in full live was a treat.)