Make Your Own(imaginary) Live Aid Set List

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Make Your Own(imaginary) Live Aid Set List

Post by space triangle »

Can we just imagine a situation where someone managed to persuade Pink Floyd to perform at a Live Aid concert in 1985. At the time of their biggest conflicts and a lawsuit. What do you think the selection of songs for a 20-minute performance would be then? A same songs as for Live 8 or different choice? I believe Rog would be very dominant back then and the set list would look something like this:

Pigs on the Wing (Part 1)
Another Brick in the Wall, Part 1
Money
In The Flesh
Comfortably Numb
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Re: Make Your Own(imaginary) Live Aid Set List

Post by Annoying Twit »

Major deja-vu here. Didn't we have this thread already?

BTW: If you're asking again, then my original reply of:

Dogs

was serious. I would love for everyone to have been given 20 minutes of Dogs. Those that wouldn't get it, wouldn't get it.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

There were no lawsuits going on in 1985; even the Norton-Warburg suit had been settled by then, and the bsnd was awarded over a million dollars. Roger didn’t officially quit until December of 1985. And the later issue over use of the name didn't actually involve a lawsuit, but Roger trying to dissolve a business and being overruled. He did sue them over use of the pig, but was out-maneuvered when they unveiled their pig's rather large testicles.
Kerry King
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Kerry King »

space triangle wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:20 pm Pigs on the Wing (Part 1)
Another Brick in the Wall, Part 1
Money
In The Flesh
Comfortably Numb

Are you serious? This would never happen in a million years. Bob Geldof would save all of the starving children in the world before those two songs would ever open a pink floyd show. Pigs On The Wing pt 1 for the opening song at Live Aid? It's a bookend for Animals. Brick Part One as a stand alone track? Why not part two? The big hit. In The Flesh would have been hilarious at Live Aid.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

In the Flesh?
Your Possible Pasts
Welcome to the Machine
Money

And here's why:
• Based on Roger's request to play "In the Flesh?" at Live 8, and it being the opening number on at least two of his solo tours, I could see it being his choice to open their set at Live Aid with

• It would also make sense to play something from their most recent album, and "Your Possible Pasts" would be a good candidate, for being fairly short and sweet, featuring a great guitar solo, and not relying on too much orchestration and/or sound effects

• "Welcome to the Machine" was played on both the Pros and Cons and Momentary Lapse tours, both different from the album version, but fairly similar to each other; they harmonized it (most likely octaves, amirite?) fairly well on the '77 tour

• "Money" would be a no-brainer, since Waters and Gilmour had both played it on their solo tours, and the purpose of the event was to raise money, et voilà!

Also:
Animals wasn't a #1 album, and there are no obvious choices on it for a short set in front of an unusually wide audience

• Neither of them played "Another Brick in the Wall" on their solo tours, and just like Live 8, it would be tacky and inappropriate (and Part 1 would just be weird)

• "Wish You Were Here" wasn't the concert or radio staple that it later became; Roger played it on his solo tour but made it really weird, with sax and everything, while David didn't play it at all (he only played "Money", "Run Like Hell", and "Comfortably Numb" - usually not even all three)

• "Comfortably Numb" also wasn't their best-known song, and The Wall would already be represented by "In the Flesh?"

• We can safely assume that Rick would not have been involved, and that Tim Renwick and Michael Kamen would, since Gilmour and Renwick had been childhood friends and collaborated in the '70s, and Kamen had just worked on The Wall, The Final Cut, Pros and Cons, and About Face (and both were touring with Roger)
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

WTF the bands were briefed by Bob at the original Live Aid too play hit songs In The Flesh? is not a hit single,
Last edited by azza200 on Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

azza200 wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:05 ambesides the average joe in Wembley may find some of the lyrics offensive.
"In the Flesh?", not "In the Flesh". The opening song on an insanely successful album. No offensive lyrics.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

"I tried to pitch into Live Aid," recalled Roger Waters, "They asked me to put Pink Floyd back together for it and I said no, but I'd bring my new band to play. They didn't want that. But that's alright. I went along on my own."
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:50 pm There were no lawsuits going on in 1985; even the Norton-Warburg suit had been settled by then, and the bsnd was awarded over a million dollars. Roger didn’t officially quit until December of 1985. And the later issue over use of the name didn't actually involve a lawsuit, but Roger trying to dissolve a business and being overruled. He did sue them over use of the pig, but was out-maneuvered when they unveiled their pig's rather large testicles.
You, are too much pedant Ziggy. :-; Ok. not 1985, but it was a lawsuit in the 1986. Even Roger defined it 'in the 1980s'.

Roger Waters: 'I was wrong to sue Pink Floyd'

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-24157591

Roger Waters has said he regrets taking legal action against his former bandmates Pink Floyd in the 1980s.The singer and bass guitarist sued David Gilmour and Nick Mason in 1986, in an attempt to prevent them from using the name, claiming the group was "a spent force creatively."
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

space triangle wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:49 amEven Roger defined it 'in the 1980s.
That's funny - it looks like he defined it in 2013.

His oft-quoted "spent force" line is actually from the letter he issued to the record company in December 1985 to announce his departure - which was actually in response to the threat of a lawsuit from Gilmour and Mason for lost wages of he didn’t return to make a new Pink Floyd album. "If I hadn't, the financial repercussions would have wiped me out completely." It wasn't until he found out that Bob Ezrin had started working with them again, after turning him down, that he took their new project seriously and tried to dissolve the business entity known as Pink Floyd - but no one voted with him, naturally, and it was dismissed. As he admitted in that same interview from 2013, he really did not understand the court system. The lawsuit(s) that followed in 1987 were just over intellectual property, and he eventually settled all of that out of court (aboard the Astoria, no less) in December 1987, letting them use...anything they wanted, as long as he got a cut. At that point, he basically needed them to keep touring and paying him royalties, because his solo albums weren't making money, and his tours were actually losing lots of money. So, in hindsight, he could be portrayed in a far more embarrassing light than he has been. Bear in mind that it could also be worse - George Harrison shagged Ringo's wife, and then sued him.
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:35 am he really did not understand the court system.
He is the court-master, Ziggy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QN56YUIOuKo
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

space triangle wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:15 pmHe is the court-master, Ziggy!
In his own mind, he's probably a master of the bass as well. :-;
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:18 pmIn his own mind, he's probably a master of the bass as well. :-;
For example, on the eminent music-list site 'DigitalDreamDoor' his bassline on Money is listed as No.3 on the ''100 Greatest Rock Basslines'' list. It's not bad Ziggy. Therefore if not for no other reason than because of his bass line on the Money, Rog deserved his place in the history of great bass players.

100 Greatest Rock Basslines:

https://digitaldreamdoor.com/pages/best_basslines.html
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

space triangle wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:54 pm Therefore if not for no other reason than because of his bass line on the Money, Rog deserved his place in the history of great bass players.
That's a bit of a stretch for a riff that's awfully similar to "Day Tripper". I'd say the ticking clock sound of the muted bass strings on the intro to "Time", while much simpler, was considerably more innovative, but neither requires a great bass player - hang out in the bass section of any music store for ten minutes, and you'll probably hear a twelve-year-old playing "Money" every bit as well as Roger could.

You put a lot of stock in those ranked lists, which are mostly just thrown together to generate website traffic - anyone reading up on any of those artists or songs is going to see it in their search results. Shit, Pink Floyd fans on this site can't agree on their four best songs, out of a total of 217 or so - but you trust some random person that owns a website to pick out the top one hundred of anything, from an exponentially larger number? "Run Like Hell" is on that list...why?
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

^^^

That's plenty of bass lists on Internet and on the YouTube for example. Money bassline is always in the Top 5. That must mean something, Ziggy.