Make Your Own(imaginary) Live Aid Set List

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Re: Make Your Own(imaginary) Live Aid Set List

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

space triangle wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:53 pmThat must mean something, Ziggy.
Indeed, it's a wildly popular, bass-centric song. One that just about every musician I know has been playing since they were 12. Think of it as the "Smoke On the Water" of bass riffs. If that's evidence of Roger's "great" musicianship, then I have friends whose children should be on those lists.
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:57 pm Think of it as the "Smoke On the Water" of bass riffs.
And, what's wrong with it? Sometimes a simplest ideas are something that stays in the consciousness and subconscious of people for all time. No need to be Eric Clapton who is the master of guitar plying. When no one remember any of his songs, (except maybe for a song Layla) which he did not even issue himself, but the group of which he was a member - Derek and the Dominos.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

"Derek" was Eric's pseudonym, because he didn’t want to be in the spotlight as much as he had been with Cream and Blind Faith. All he really wanted to do was join The Band, but he started his own instead. He had said he would never have had the courage to get up and sing lead vocals on a song he wrote without at least mentally pretending to be someone else.

But again, had Eric written the obnoxiously memorable "Smoke on the Water" riff, that alone would not cement his status as a great player, as you suggest "Money" has for Roger.
Master_Chief
Blade
Blade

Post by Master_Chief »

I think I'd have preferred Pink Floyd appearing at Live Aid over Live 8. Who knows, maybe it would've saved them from breaking up the way they did (who am I kidding, right!). \:D/

In The Flesh?
Welcome to Machine
Money
One of These Days
Two Suns in the Sunset

Leave them all nice and depressed with that last one :lol: :lol: :lol:
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

^^^

That's a nice choice of songs, Master_Chief. It would be interesting 25 minutes.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

Master_Chief wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:52 pmLeave them all nice and depressed with that last one :lol: :lol: :lol:
I know Mason's not on the studio version, but is Gilmour? That has always been my absolute least favorite Floyd track, and the sound effects remind me of the music video for "Land Down Under" by Men at Work, where everything happening in the song is portrayed in a very clumsy, literal, on-the-nose kind of way. And don't get me started on the sax solo!
Kerry King
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Kerry King »

space triangle wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:53 pm ^^^

That's plenty of bass lists on Internet and on the YouTube for example. Money bassline is always in the Top 5. That must mean something, Ziggy.
It's about exposure. FM radio (greased by the record labels) pounded people over the head with this song. Now these lists keep pounding it. People just go along with it. Take Clare Torry. She could have done her Great Gig bit, exactly the same way, on some obscure album and it would never make one of these mainstream lists nor any list made by followers of mainstream lists. It's like when one website posts incorrect lyrics and 5 others just copy them. These lists also keep people ignorant. Look at all of the amazing stuff from the 70s that never got exposure on FM radio. All the killer bass riffs that were suppressed so that DSOTM and Hotel California could sell 25 zillion copies. Do you need examples?
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

Kerry King wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:29 amLook at all of the amazing stuff from the 70s that never got exposure on FM radio.
Yes, you are right in much of it you wrote , but still there must still be some more reasons why some artists stay without exposure. Why, for example, the album The Dark Side Of The Moon by Medicine Head a year earlier (1972) went completely unnoticed, but DSOTM by Pink Floyd a year later became the best-selling and most popular Rock album of all time. It’s not all in the exposure in the end. It's also about a quality. I recall an article in which Nick Mason expressed his opinion on why The Dark Side Of The Moon become so huge He said there were three reasons. First reason, no other Pink Floyd album before DSOTM was nearly as complete as the whole, and so carefuly crafted. Another reason, according to Nick, was that their record company at the time, which represented them in the USA - Columbia Records, recognized the potential and quality of the album and supported it in marketing process. And the third reason according to Nick was to have a bit of luck as well. To be at the right place, at the right times, with a right product. As he said.
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

Kerry King wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:29 amLook at all of the amazing stuff from the 70s that never got exposure on FM radio.
Yes, you are right in much of it you wrote , but still there must be some more reasons why some artists stay without exposure. Why, for example, the album The Dark Side Of The Moon by Medicine Head a year earlier (1972) went completely unnoticed, but DSOTM by Pink Floyd a year later became the best-selling and most popular Rock album of all time. It’s not all in the exposure in the end. It's also about a quality. I recall an article in which Nick Mason expressed his opinion on why The Dark Side Of The Moon become so huge He said there were three reasons. First reason, no other Pink Floyd album before DSOTM was nearly as complete as the whole, and so carefuly crafted. Another reason, according to Nick, was that their record company at the time, which represented them in the USA - Columbia Records, recognized the potential and quality of the album and supported it in marketing process. And the third reason according to Nick was to have a bit of luck as well. To be at the right place, at the right times, with a right product. As he said.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

space triangle wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:43 amAnother reason, according to Nick, was that their record company at the time, which represented them in the USA - Columbia Records, recognized the potential and quality of the album and supported it in marketing process.
Capitol Records. The one with the magical recording studio in Los Angeles where the band got to record some demos on their '68 tour. They recognized the profit margins and actually put some salesmen on the job for Dark Side of the Moon. The band were so grateful that they jumped ship and moved to Columbia Records for the next thirty years. Capitol took it personally, and while they let them include "One of These Days" on A Collection of Great Dance Songs, they refused to license "Money" - so Gilmour re-recorded the entire track for Columbia. Capitol then assembled Works to compete with The Final Cut. The band did eventually go back to Capital for 2007's Oh By The Way boxed set, but as EMI changed hands, they ended up on Parlaphone for everything after that.
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

^^^

Yup, Capitol Records. I meant it but wrote Columbia Records. I'm getting 'old'. :-;
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:39 pmThat has always been my absolute least favorite Floyd track, and the sound effects remind me of the music video for "Land Down Under" by Men at Work, where everything happening in the song is portrayed in a very clumsy, literal, on-the-nose kind of way. And don't get me started on the sax solo!
Do you like this version a little bit more? It's far more subtile version without much sounds of special effects.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_m2CZU9vdk
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

space triangle wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:55 amDo you like this version a little bit more? It's far more subtile version without much sounds of special effects.
I prefer it to the album version, but I still don't think the song itself is anywhere near as good as...anything else they made.

Plus, the goddamn car noises. That asshole doesn't live anywhere near a highway.

As I've stated before, Roger's songwriting evolved from subtle, clever, and fairly universal metaphors, to increasingly specific, on-the-nose, ham-fisted imagery. Most of the music on The Final Cut is relatively sparse and tense, and it fits those songs perfectly. "Two Suns in the Sunset" has always stood out like a sore thumb. The verses are folky, with the slightly funky "Running Shoes" rhythm in between, which adds a nice tension to it - but after the middle eight, it completely fails to reach a climax. He just keeps repeating that rhythm until it loses all effect, while the easy-listening saxophone doubles down to completely ruin the mood of the song and the album. The rhythm is somewhat unusual for Roger, with no hint of Dave, and the drums aren't Nick. That song couldn't sound less like Pink Floyd, which is sad because there are so many other things they could've done in the second half to make the music much more evocative. Instead it sounds like everyone died in a grocery store and the Muzak kept playing.
Hadrian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Hadrian »

Here is my setlist, for either Live Aid (1985) or, even better, an alternative one for Live8 (2005), followed by a release of it all as a vinyl 12" single 8)

1. Breathe (07:10)
2. Another Brick in the Wall (08:28)

Notes:

1. "Breathe" as in "Breathe"+"Any Colour You Like" (aka "Breathe (Second Reprise)")+"Breathe (Reprise)", or essentially the entire song as a single piece. The given length is studio version time, live it could be longer (10+ minutes).

2. "Another Brick in the Wall" as in Part 1+Part 2+Part 3 played as a single piece. Again, the given length is studio version time, live it could be longer (10+ minutes).
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

☝️ I like this guy.