Roger's Video about David Not Sharing

General discussion about Pink Floyd.

Should Roger Waters be allowed to publicise himself on the Pink Floyd website and social media?

Yes
67%
No
23%
Don't know
10%

Total votes: 39

ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Re: Roger's Video about David Not Sharing

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

They consistently only post regarding Pink Floyd releases, photos, and footage, usually with some trivia added, as well as releases or performances that Dave, Rick, and/or Nick are involved in. Their website did have some stuff about Roger's Wall tour, but possibly only because Dave and Nick made guest appearances at one of the shows. If they don't advertise any of Roy Harper's work, who not only sang "Have a Cigar" but also wrote "Short and Sweet" on Gilmour's first solo album (and made guest appearances on the About Face tour), AND whose album The Unknown Soldier features Wall-era Gilmour guitar on most tracks, half of which he co-wrote, having earlier played on HQ and would go on to again guest on Once...then, yeah - don't expect to see any unrelated Geesin, Bley, Unicorn, etc, material posted.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

Master_Chief wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 2:29 pmI admit it's very unlikely Gilmour's intentions to scrap/alter any contributions from the touring members from that period and it's probably the record company's decision, but it seems Pink Floyd has gone full circle back into the realms of sniping over who played what and "should it be allowed to remain on the record."
The remixed version of Momentary Lapse of Reason is simply an alternate version. It wasn't a matter of what should/should not be allowed to remain - Gilmour just wanted to highlight what Wright and Mason went on to play hundreds of times on tour. They had started working on the remix while Rick was still alive, but after his death they had to utilize the midi tracks that were recorded during every show of the tour; they didn't use the live sound of Rick's keyboards, they used his keystrokes to re-record the keyboards in the studio. Dave had mentioned his intention to do this for years, and I'm actually surprised that the result was so subtle, and not a drastically stripped-down re-imagining of the album. I think it's great and I'll probably never listen to the old version again.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

twcc wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 6:06 pmValid points, I recall hearing Guy talk about the changes in one of his recent podcasts. On 'The Later Years' I approve of the replacement drums and like the augmented Rick Wright parts but the removal and replacement of other contributors is, as you say, a bit off.
They've had plenty of session musicians record parts that never made the final cut. Stephane Grappelli's violin was almost entirely inaudible on "Wish You Were Here", but then again, so was Gilmour's pedal steel guitar (except on the quad mixes). He even mixed his vocal tracks on "The Narrow Way" so low on the original release that you could barely hear them, because he was unhappy with his first attempt at writing lyrics. Clare Torry was certain that they would never use her vocals in the final mix of "Great Gig in the Sky". Gilmour recorded a guitar solo for Wright's "Breakthrough" that was never used. The new remix would sound pretty terrible if they just added more keyboards and more drums, when the entire point was to simplify it.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

Kerry King wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 8:56 pmRight.

I rise
Looking through my morning eyes
Surprised
To find you by my side
Rack my brain
And try to remember your name
To find
The words to tell you goodbye

This must have been the moment Roger Waters realized he had to take full control of the lyrical content.
Roger wrote "Stay", Rick wrote the music.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

space triangle wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 10:32 am I would solve this problem by compromise. I would allow posting articles/videos/songs on the official Pink Floyd page which includes Roger Waters. But, only a things from the 1965/1966 until to the December 1, 1985, when he left the group. After that date,... nothing! 8)
And that's what they've always done!
https://www.facebook.com/pinkfloyd/phot ... 893812308/
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

New Pink Floyd Announcement Hints Waters Vs. Gilmour Feud Might Be Over

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/ge ... _over.html

A recent post shared through Pink Floyd's social channels hints that the ongoing feud between Roger Waters and David Gilmour might be over. In the recent announcement, however, the group has shared a photo of Waters for his 77th birthday yesterday (September 6), wishing him all the best and promoting the "Us and Them" film.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

It doesn't mean anything; they've wished him a happy birthday every year. They also didn't post any links to his Us + Them release, they just mention it in passing. It could just as easily mean that the feud is still on, and that David did it to piss him off.
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:47 am It doesn't mean anything; they've wished him a happy birthday every year.
Are you sure they congratulate him every year? I don’t even remember if I watched to see if they congratulated him last year.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

space triangle wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:01 amAre you sure they congratulate him every year? I don’t even remember if I watched to see if they congratulated him last year.
Every single year. If anything, they really wouldn't have wanted to skip it this year after Jon Carin complained that they didn't wish him a happy birthday. But again, if the "feud" was over, they probably would've included a link to the Us + Them pre-order page, ending the discussion in one fell swoop. What they did post could be seen as passive aggressive, making Gilmour look like the bigger man, while taunting Rog with having his ugly mug on the Pink Floyd Facebook page.
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:09 am
space triangle wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:01 amAre you sure they congratulate him every year? I don’t even remember if I watched to see if they congratulated him last year.
Every single year. If anything, they really wouldn't have wanted to skip it this year after Jon Carin complained that they didn't wish him a happy birthday. But again, if the "feud" was over, they probably would've included a link to the Us + Them pre-order page, ending the discussion in one fell swoop. What they did post could be seen as passive aggressive, making Gilmour look like the bigger man, while taunting Rog with having his ugly mug on the Pink Floyd Facebook page.
I re-read the original article interviewing Rog. He wanted far more than his releases mentioned on the site. My interpretation of what he said is that he would like some control over the site and would like to be able to post himself.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

Annoying Twit wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:13 amMy interpretation of what he said is that he would like some control over the site and would like to be able to post himself.
Correct - which is crazy, and naive, and kinda funny. And true to form, he burnt that bridge; I don't think they'll post about his solo work until he gives up the ghost (he is 77).
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:19 am... until he gives up the ghost (he is 77).
Dave also must give up his own ghosts. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMioXjmUe5U
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

I meant kick the bucket.
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:41 am I meant kick the bucket.
I know what you meabt exactly. I just thought it's nice oprtunity to post this video when you mentioned a word 'ghost'. :lol:
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

Sitting around waiting for Roger to die would make a great latter-day Floyd concept album.