Roger's Video about David Not Sharing

General discussion about Pink Floyd.

Should Roger Waters be allowed to publicise himself on the Pink Floyd website and social media?

Yes
67%
No
23%
Don't know
10%

Total votes: 39

Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Re: Roger's Video about David Not Sharing

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

Annoying Twit wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:13 am I re-read the original article interviewing Rog. He wanted far more than his releases mentioned on the site. My interpretation of what he said is that he would like some control over the site and would like to be able to post himself.
Facebook is littered with groups that made a member admin and then kicked out the owners and put up posts about male circumcisions and health pills etc!
So Pink Floyd wise not to let Roger or even representatives access to that webpage.
I fully understand and picturing David Gilmour with his head in his hands going "He's only going to go on about Palestine! Or that Julian Assange!".
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:19 am
Annoying Twit wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:13 amMy interpretation of what he said is that he would like some control over the site and would like to be able to post himself.
Correct - which is crazy, and naive, and kinda funny. And true to form, he burnt that bridge; I don't think they'll post about his solo work until he gives up the ghost (he is 77).
But, they did mention Us & Them.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

Annoying Twit wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:02 pmBut, they did mention Us & Them.
But, they didn't link to it. They did the least they could do.
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:11 pm But, they didn't link to it. They did the least they could do.
Mentioning it is enough in my books. Rog can't say that they won't put his stuff up on the site.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

Annoying Twit wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:24 pmRog can't say that they won't put his stuff up on the site.
Exactly! But you, Dave, and I know he wanted a link. 8)
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

As far as I remember their 1986 trial, Roger has no rights to publish on the official Pink Floyd website, for example. He was given all of the rights regarding The Wall album based on being a creative creator. Other rights to publish Pink Floyd music went to the remaining members of the group. That is why a new 'firm' Pink Floyd (1987) Ltd. was founded. That record company is owned by remaining members of Pink Floyd, and is incorporated under the name "Pink Floyd (1987) Ltd". That was why AMLOR was issued under that logo, and all others Pink Floyd related new albums.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

space triangle wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:25 pm As far as I remember their 1986 trial, Roger has no rights to publish on the official Pink Floyd website, for example.
They didn't have a trial, and Facebook didn't exist back then.
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:32 pm Exactly! But you, Dave, and I know he wanted a link. 8)
Not just that. He wanted to be able to decide when and how his stuff is posted.
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:43 pmThey didn't have a trial, and Facebook didn't exist back then.
Yes they have. I believe what Roger or David says, not how you interpret it, Ziggy. Of course Facebook did not exist back then, but the decision made then is still valid today. That's why Dave doesn't post any links of Roger's Us + Them you keep talking about.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

Annoying Twit wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:44 pmNot just that. He wanted to be able to decide when and how his stuff is posted.
I agree, I was just referring to the birthday post. By all outward appearances it looks like a nice gesture, and as you can see from the clickbait article posted above, some took it as a sign that they've come to some agreement. I think that's what Pink Floyd's management wanted it to look like, but I highly doubt anything has changed.
space triangle wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:54 pmYes they have. I believe what Roger or David says, not how you interpret it, Ziggy. Of course Facebook did not exist back then, but the decision made then is still valid today. That's why Dave doesn't post any links of Roger's Us + Them you keep talking about.
There was no trial. There were a few meetings and everything was settled out of court.
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:57 pm I agree, I was just referring to the birthday post. By all outward appearances it looks like a nice gesture, and as you can see from the clickbait article posted above, some took it as a sign that they've come to some agreement. I think that's what Pink Floyd's management wanted it to look like, but I highly doubt anything has changed.
Your thinking is very similar to mine on this issue. Passive-aggressive Dave. But, in context, I understand. It would be like inviting back your ex-wife whom you split with badly, to give her equal control of your finances :D
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

Annoying Twit wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:00 pmIt would be like inviting back your ex-wife whom you split with badly, to give her equal control of your finances :D
Dave did say Live 8 was "like sleeping with your ex-wife. There's no future for Pink Floyd."
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

Nick Mason:

''I think the problem is Roger doesn’t really respect David. He feels that writing is everything, and that guitar playing and the singing are something that, I won’t say anyone can do, but that everything should be judged on the writing rather than the playing. Nick also feels like Gilmour’s decision to carry on as Pink Floyd after Waters left in 1985 continues to be a point of contention. “I think it rankles with Roger that he made a sort of error in a way that he left the band assuming that without him it would fold,” says Mason. “It’s a constant irritation, really, that he’s still going back to it. I’m hesitant to get too stuck into this one, just because it’s between the two of them rather than me. I actually get along with both of them, and I think it’s really disappointing that these rather elderly gentlemen are still at loggerheads.''