Pink Floyd - The Wall

Discussions about Pink Floyd and Solo Official Album CDs and DVDs.

Rate This Album

5 - Best
54%
23%
14%
3%
1 - Worst
5%

Total votes: 147

twcc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Pink Floyd - The Wall

Post by twcc »

PIle on the layers ... ](*,)

Interesting observations regarding the lyric changes.
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

On the set of the film page published just today.
Not The Telegraph, but The Telegraph and Argus!

https://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/ ... 49066.amp/

Edit: Oh wow, is that it? I should have read before linked! Had a good run of it
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

David's response after listening to Roger's home demos for several days in Greece, according to Ginger:

"I don't think I can really work with this. I have no idea how this could become something people would enjoy listening to. It is just angst!"
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:11 amI have no idea how this could become something people would enjoy listening to.
Considering that The Wall is the best-selling double album of all time, obviously a lot of people around the world enjoy to listen it.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

space triangle wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:55 amConsidering that The Wall is the best-selling double album of all time, obviously a lot of people around the world enjoy to listen it.
Yes, but I'm sure Roger's first draft of it still sounds like shit. And without Bob Ezrin, so would the finished product.
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:41 amYes, but I'm sure Roger's first draft of it still sounds like shit. And without Bob Ezrin, so would the finished product.
The music is a collaborative thing. David Gilmour's (I apologize, I mean Pink Floyd's) A Momentary Lapse Of Reason sounds almost like shit. Just imagine how AMLOR would sound without those 17 collaborators who were engaged with David and Nick in creating that album?
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

space triangle wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:09 amJust imagine how AMLOR would sound without those 17 collaborators who were engaged with David and Nick in creating that album?
Or Amused to Death, without those 36!
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:11 am Or Amused to Death, without those 36!
The Wall had 26 collaborators. And, that's counting two whole choirs and an orchestra as one each.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

Oh, we're not even counting members of the orchestra for Amused to Death!
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

Say what you want about Roger Waters, but some facts remains for all times:

The most sold Rock album of all time - The Dark Side Of The Moon - Concept and lyric - Roger Waters

The most sold Rock double album of all time - The Wall - Concept and lyric - Roger Waters

The most visited Rock concert of all time - The Wall live in Berlin 1990 - 400.000 people watched it on the place. - Roger Waters

This alone is enough to take away Elvis' title of 'king', and hand it over to Roger. [-D-]
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

space triangle wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:11 am Say what you want about Roger Waters, but some facts remains for all times:

The most sold Rock album of all time - The Dark Side Of The Moon - Concept and lyric - Roger Waters

The most sold Rock double album of all time - The Wall - Concept and lyric - Roger Waters

The most visited Rock concert of all time - The Wall live in Berlin 1990 - 400.000 people watched it on the place. - Roger Waters

This alone is enough to take away Elvis' title of 'king', and hand it over to Roger. [-D-]
I don't think anyone is saying that Roger isn't great. He is.

However, he's not the only person who made those albums and tours great. Remember that a lot of the music and arrangements on The Wall came from Dave.

Personally I believe that if PF had split in 1970, that Rog would now be a person with a profile like Roy Harper. Acknowledged as a talent, but he wouldn't have reached the heights that PF did. Same for all the other members of course.

PF were a recipe. Their biggest successes came from when multiple people contributed. TFC and AMLoR show that one person dominating could make something good, but not match their most successful albums.

While people often put down Dave's claim that he wrote far more on TW than he was credited for, personally I believe it.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

space triangle wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:11 am Say what you want about Roger Waters, but some facts remains for all times:

"But it's absolutely ridiculous to judge a record solely on sales. If you're going to use sales as the sole criterion, it makes Grease a better record than Graceland." - Roger Waters
space triangle wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:11 amThis alone is enough to take away Elvis' title of 'king', and hand it over to Roger. [-D-]
Elvis is crap. He didn't write his own songs, and his management would hire other successful artists to collaborate with him, but write it into their contract that he would share the writing credit. He tried to have The Beatles deported. He hasn't earned a new generation of fans the way that Pink Floyd has, so in another 10 or 15 years, the Baby Boomers will have died out and I'll be able to live the rest of my life without hearing about 'The King'.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

Annoying Twit wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:52 amWhile people often put down Dave's claim that he wrote far more on TW than he was credited for, personally I believe it.
He definitely should be credited with "Hey You", since the signature arpeggio throughout the song is based on a guitar tuning that Gilmour accidentally created.

The Wall according to Ginger:
"Then discussions about royalties came…this is my memory of the event. I was in my last month of pregnancy when we all had dinner at a Japanese restaurant. David was in a mood when I arrived, with everyone’s tensions riding high. Roger wanted to remove “Comfortably Numb” from the album. It was one of the only songs, which David had a major credit for and he exploded. I think if he had known karate the table would have split in two! I will never forget the look of shock on everyone’s face especially Roger’s. I have only seen David lose his temper once and I hoped never to do so again. In the end, “Comfortably Numb” stayed and to this day, it is considered one of the best songs on the album.

"I have said it before and I shall continue to say how hard I find it to understand the way royalties work. Having watched the transformation of Roger’s angst into something that Animals and The Wall albums have become, David and the others deserve more acknowledgement. And these are not just the words of a devoted wife. “Comfortably Numb” symbolically represented the release of all the tensions built in that album. Without it, we certainly would have gone down under the weight of the stone. Needless to say, David and Rick’s intuitiveness as musicians influenced the whole album."
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

space triangle wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:11 am The most visited Rock concert of all time - The Wall live in Berlin 1990 - 400.000 people watched it on the place. - Roger Waters
"Over 500,000 people witnessed their show at Fête de L'Humanité, Paris on 12 September 1970, their largest crowd ever. Filmed by French TV, the show was never broadcast."
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:12 am"But it's absolutely ridiculous to judge a record solely on sales.
In the case of Pink Floyd it's not ridiculous. Not at all. When the band was at its peak in the 70's, the vast majority of people didn’t even know what Pink Floyd members looked like. There were no pictures of the band on the album covers (except for the inside picture in the Meddle album). Members of the band almost never, or very rarely, gave interviews for a newspapers, as well. I recall Roger once said: While other Rock bands had an employee man exclusively to work with journalists, we had the one employee in charge exclusively for driving journalists away from us. There were no videos of the group in the 1970s, either. All in all, as Gimour once put it: *We were absolutely free to drink a coffee in the central of London, without any risk to anyone recognizie us. Because of all this, it’s almost unbelievable that Pink Floyd is one of the most popular and best-selling Rock bands of all time.