Post by azza200 »

https://youtu.be/Lxhvn3OJ-eg

Time used in this video
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Re: Post a Pink Floyd or Related Video

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

A definite influence on "Two Suns in the Sunset", and more.

https://youtu.be/sPYsMM1FvXs
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

^^^

Great to see Rog at Live Aid. He went up to Wembley stadium to see the Who, but I wonder did he watched David G. with Bryan Ferry Band too? 8)
Last edited by twcc on Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: EDIT in line with forum rules
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

Just watched this again since a very long time('Bouton Rouge' on 24 February 1968), and noticed how short 'Astronomy Domine' is - 3m 21s. Just curious, does enyone knows if this is the shortest version of 'Astronomy Domine' band ever played?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAcmjBdMML0
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

^^^

This is amazing! But, in the same time the lack of footage of Pink Floyd live between 73 and 83 is real madness.
Last edited by twcc on Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: EDIT to remove re-post (in line with the forum rules)
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

space triangle wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:31 am This is amazing! But, in the same time the lack of footage of Pink Floyd live between 73 and 83 is real madness.
It really is quite sickening isn't it. Madness. Perhaps it wasn't the done thing back then and people preferred to pay a shilling and watch it live. ;-)
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

Keith Jordan wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:05 am
space triangle wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:31 am This is amazing! But, in the same time the lack of footage of Pink Floyd live between 73 and 83 is real madness.
It really is quite sickening isn't it. Madness. Perhaps it wasn't the done thing back then and people preferred to pay a shilling and watch it live. ;-)
Roger was of the belief that "you had to be there" - of course, VHS wasn't around so like Live at Pompeii, people would have to see it in the theater and it wouldn't turn a profit. In the early days of cinema, they just threw away all copies of a film after its run in the theaters was over, because they figured everyone had seen it once, so who would want to watch it again?
Kerry King
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Kerry King »

ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

Pino Palladino discusses the bassline that got him hired to play on About Face, after which he went with Gilmour to play on Pete Townsend's White City, and so on and so on, playing on an endless list of things including Rick Wright's Broken China. He's also performed with Gilmour a number of times, including television appearances with Pete Townsend and Mica Paris, as well as the Stratocaster 50th anniversary concert.

[EDIT: Worth mentioning that Fender first offered a fretless version of the Precision Bass in 1970, the same year that "Fat Old Sun" was recorded - Ampeg offered one earlier than that, but I've never seen any mention or photos of Gilmour with either, though he may have just had multiple necks for the same P-bass, like he did for his Strats.]

https://youtu.be/TRjiMN2qJHI
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

These guys all played on Broken China (and Pino's wife even sang backup):

https://youtu.be/riieRcw5Z4w
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

Peter Gabriel's album Us was a big influence on Rick Wright's Broken China, and Rick saw him on tour while Pink Floyd were gearing up for the Division Bell tour. "I admire just about everything Peter Gabriel's ever done, from progressive to world music to pop. He's a great man with great ideas - oh, and he's a great musician...I think in many ways Peter hears music the way that I hear it, so I'd have to say he's a kindred spirit."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7GRBHoTUbg

"I saw Peter Gabriel's world tour early in 1994. Manu Katché was playing drums and I had already formulated the idea of doing an album. As soon as I heard him, I knew that I wanted him to play on Broken China, so I sent him the music and, although is schedule was very tight, he called to say that he would like to play, on the understanding that Pino Palladino would play bass, as they work together very much as a team. Pino was already my main choice anyway and it was a joy to see them playing together and to experience how quickly they laid down the tracks. Eight tracks in six days - amazing! Tim Renwick was naturally my first choice, because of our association with the Floyd tours and also, besides being a close friend, he gives you whatever sound and feel you suggest. Afterwards, when I was looking for someone to play some atmospheric guitars, Laurie Latham, who engineered the overdubs, suggested Dominic Miller, who, although working with Sting at the time, took time off to work with me."

"You probably won't know this, but when Syd left Pink Floyd we actually asked Jeff Beck to join, he was our first choice. He was doing OK at the time so he turned us down. There's one track on Guitar Shop called 'Where Were You?' that's just this beautiful, melodic guitar sequence. I loved it so much that I took that feel for an instrumental called 'Sweet July' on my new solo album. I wanted Beck to play on it but he turned me down. Again."

Dominic Miller had played with Pino on Manu's first solo album, It's About Time, in 1992. Broken China also features guitarist Steve Bolton, who had played on Paul Young's No Parlez - the same album where Gilmour had first heard Pino and asked him to play on About Face.

Sinéad O'Connor also sang on Us, though Paula Cole was the female vocalist on Gabriel's tour.
K2+
Axe
Axe

Post by K2+ »

^^
Cool info, thanks.

I was never able to get into BC, but I'm going to listen to it again soon, and see if time has changed my feelings towards it.
FreeFour
Knife
Knife

Post by FreeFour »