Pink Floyd - Delicate Sound Of Thunder

Discussions about Pink Floyd and Solo Official Album CDs and DVDs.

Rate this album

5 - Best
18%
27%
34%
11%
1 - Worst
9%

Total votes: 44

Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Re: Pink Floyd - Delicate Sound Of Thunder

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

Keith Jordan wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:13 pm This is well worth getting, looks and sounds great from watching it out of the Later Years box set.

https://www.neptunepinkfloyd.co.uk/deli ... ed-remixed

What are your thoughts on it?
Will pick up the 2CD, unless I get lucky and that Christmas Elf job happens, then I may as well buy the box!
Volume11
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Volume11 »

Why on earth is the Blu-ray/DVD arranged to have bonus tracks? Why isn't it arranged like it was played start to finish. The show did not have bonus tracks. It was a show start to finish. At least it is a complete show with the bonus tracks. It is important to have a concert DVD be the concert. In order show it in order, the DVD will have to be stopped, moved to the bonus tracks played, then moved back to the show to complete it. The show was two sets. Like pulse it could have been arranged set one DVD one, set two DVD two. There was an intermission so switching DVD's is kinda like being there. Stopping and starting to get to bonus tracks is not. Its an oymoron to call them bonus tracks, they are just tracks that were actually played at the show.
Master_Chief
Blade
Blade

Post by Master_Chief »

Volume11 wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:27 am Why on earth is the Blu-ray/DVD arranged to have bonus tracks? Why isn't it arranged like it was played start to finish. The show did not have bonus tracks. It was a show start to finish. At least it is a complete show with the bonus tracks. It is important to have a concert DVD be the concert. In order show it in order, the DVD will have to be stopped, moved to the bonus tracks played, then moved back to the show to complete it. The show was two sets. Like pulse it could have been arranged set one DVD one, set two DVD two. There was an intermission so switching DVD's is kinda like being there. Stopping and starting to get to bonus tracks is not. Its an oymoron to call them bonus tracks, they are just tracks that were actually played at the show.
Totally agree with you! This is probably why I won't be rushing out to purchase the Blu-Ray. I'll definitely order the triple vinyl as thankfully that's in the correct order. Quite frankly we see too much of this crap with live releases. Musicians and record companies bitch and moan about bootlegging and such, yet take a live performance, rip the order to shreds (Pulse CD1 springs to mind) and then charge you daft money to buy it. Just give us the concert as it is performed! Idiots ](*,)
DarkSideFreak
Knife
Knife

Post by DarkSideFreak »

I suppose, according to rontoon, the band liked what they had selected way back in 1988 for the concert film, and apart from restoring Shine On to its full length, they made the decision to keep the "movie" to a considerable length.

Personally, I don't really like the decision either, but it's better than not having them at all (yes, I'm looking at you, "The Girl in the Yellow Dress" from David's Pompeii movie...)
Volume11
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Volume11 »

Master_Chief wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:47 pm
Volume11 wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:27 am Why on earth is the Blu-ray/DVD arranged to have bonus tracks? Why isn't it arranged like it was played start to finish. The show did not have bonus tracks. It was a show start to finish. At least it is a complete show with the bonus tracks. It is important to have a concert DVD be the concert. In order show it in order, the DVD will have to be stopped, moved to the bonus tracks played, then moved back to the show to complete it. The show was two sets. Like pulse it could have been arranged set one DVD one, set two DVD two. There was an intermission so switching DVD's is kinda like being there. Stopping and starting to get to bonus tracks is not. Its an oymoron to call them bonus tracks, they are just tracks that were actually played at the show.
Totally agree with you! This is probably why I won't be rushing out to purchase the Blu-Ray. I'll definitely order the triple vinyl as thankfully that's in the correct order. Quite frankly we see too much of this crap with live releases. Musicians and record companies bitch and moan about bootlegging and such, yet take a live performance, rip the order to shreds (Pulse CD1 springs to mind) and then charge you daft money to buy it. Just give us the concert as it is performed! Idiots ](*,)
I just looked up the set lists for the tour. Every night at Nassau Coliseum they played Welcome to the Machine song 17 and Another Brick in the Wall part 2 song 20. They left both of those tracks off the discs. That is hardly a representation of the show. I am sure on night one of the run, no one was saying I hope they don't play welcome to the machine and another brick in the wall for the rest of the run. It should be labeled not as a concert movie, it should be labeled as a concert medley.
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by theaussiefloydian »

Master_Chief wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:47 pm
Volume11 wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:27 am Why on earth is the Blu-ray/DVD arranged to have bonus tracks?
Totally agree with you! Just give us the concert as it is performed!
This was one instance when I had the attitude of "you want something done right you gotta do it yourself" so using the highest quality Blu-Ray rips of the Later Years box set I could find I just edited the bonus tracks back into the program where they are on the new remixed album. That way I have a video file of a full edit on my external hard drive, which I can plug into my TV and enjoy. Shame about "Welcome to the Machine" and "Another Brick in the Wall" not being in those bonus tracks - did they just not film performances of those, or is something wrong with the film that they don't think it can be used?
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

They did film Welcome To The Machine as on the VHS release in the end credits you can see the screen film inn the timelapse and they did film all 5 nights they cant of turned the cameras off every night for those 2 songs.
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

azza200 wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 3:58 pm They did film Welcome To The Machine as on the VHS release in the end credits you can see the screen film inn the timelapse and they did film all 5 nights they cant of turned the cameras off every night for those 2 songs.
OK so that must mean they thought the footage was unusable for some reason - which leads to the question "why?"
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

my guess the screen footage and the issue with Roger at the time legal reasons. My guess is they did film those tracks but not using all cameras as that is what i think they did with Yet Another Movie & Terminal Frost medley.

As in that timelapse footage you can see a crane camera moving about as well so 2 cameras in operation

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4a4xlp
Eclipse

Post by Eclipse »

I'm tempted to give it a 1, but I think I'll check the remixed version first.
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

Eclipse wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:49 pm I'm tempted to give it a 1, but I think I'll check the remixed version first.
I found I enjoyed this album infinitely more with the remix. The inclusion of the extra tracks also helps it some - the live "Welcome to the Machine" is pretty awesome in my opinion
Yucateco
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by Yucateco »

azza200 wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:04 pm
As in that timelapse footage you can see a crane camera moving about as well so 2 cameras in operation
One of the interesting things about DSoT: The original cut is from several nights, every night different cameras were used. This had on one hand the nice effect that no cameras or crew can be seen in the original cut, on the other hand it completly ruins the illusion of seeing a "real" concert (close up of Gilmour from a camera man obviously standing right next to him, next shot is a stage shot and no camera man present.... also those cranes are never seen outside the timelapse footage in the original cut as footage from other nights was used for the stage shots). I can´t remember if that has changed in the new cut, as I´ve seen it only once. So the question remains, where is the footage from WTTM?
Yucateco
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by Yucateco »

theaussiefloydian wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:56 pm
azza200 wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 3:58 pm They did film Welcome To The Machine as on the VHS release in the end credits you can see the screen film inn the timelapse and they did film all 5 nights they cant of turned the cameras off every night for those 2 songs.
OK so that must mean they thought the footage was unusable for some reason - which leads to the question "why?"
Maybe it is because of the screen films? The screen films are most of the time obviously doctored into the footage and nearly all shots are with a static camera if there are films on Mr. Screen. Even in the new cut:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6NtAwAMv1s

All Mr. Screen shots are edited in or and (nearly) static (see 2:12 to 2:15 as example), most of the footage is now shown full screen. From 3:00 to 3:08 there is a wider shot and you can see how horribly low the lightning on Mr. Screen was. Maybe that made WttM with footage on Mr. Screen all the time unusable.
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

true even in the Venice footage that static shot during LTF shows the screen flickering at 5.30-33 but most of the time its the static shot with the blue lights around it during the screen film segment. I have always assumed the imposed Mr Screen during that is from the DSOT stock footage at the time

https://youtu.be/tMlGDGoVttw
pazhimself
Embryo
Embryo

Post by pazhimself »

theaussiefloydian wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:56 pm
Probably so they can "rerelease" it in 10 years or for an anniversary saying "newly added footage". Unfortunately its all about the business.