New book: The Lyrics Of Syd Barrett

All discussion related to Roger Keith (Syd) Barrett.
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

New book: The Lyrics Of Syd Barrett

Post by space triangle »

https://www.brain-damage.co.uk/latest/n ... rrett.html

Featuring 56 songs and a foreword by Pink Floyd's first manager, Peter Jenner, and an introduction by Rob Chapman (author of Syd Barrett: A Very Irregular Head), this beautifully illustrated and official book compiles Syd's extraordinary lyrics together for the very first time.

David Gilmour Is Proofreading A New Book of Syd Barrett’s Lyrics

https://cosmicmagazine.com.au/news/davi ... ts-lyrics/
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Re: New book: The Lyrics Of Syd Barrett

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

Rob Chapman tweeted about the book back in April when the release date was postponed:

"No doubt publishers will announce this in due course but the Syd Barrett lyric book has been put back to next year due to the Virus. A pity because there is going to be an exclusive in there which will make all Syd fans gasp and spontaneously combust when they read it."

Last month, Ginger Gilmour was interviewed and mentioned that Syd frequently visited their house in Woodley, Essex, and even recorded in Dave's makeshift home studio. Dave met Ginger when they performed at the University of Michigan on October 28, 1971, and she traveled with the band for the following month, met his parents when they played in New York, and moved to his house in England when they flew back in late November. One of Dave and Syd's longtime friends, Iain "Emo" Moore, confirmed that Ginger met Syd there, and that "he came to Woodley and David helped him record some music. Syd had to sit on a stool and David stood behind him and helped him play the guitar… arms around him…"

http://atagong.com/iggy/archives/2020/0 ... tapes.html
Kerry King
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Kerry King »

“It’s extremely hard to get them correct,” Gilmour revealed.
Felix Atagong
Axe
Axe

Post by Felix Atagong »

Looking forward for the book, actually.
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Wolfpack »

Felix Atagong wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:59 pmLooking forward for the book, actually.
In which way are you looking forward to this lyrics book by Rob Chapman with apparently some help by Gilmour listening to isotaled session tracks?

As if only just to spoil the party, I'm disappointed that Waters and Mason don't seem to be involved in deciphering the lyrical mystery of their founder leader, who apparently destroyed (burned?) his lyrics book mentioned in a 1971 interview.
Waters is the most experienced with lyrics after Barrett left. He even seems to have lived with Barrett, if I'm not mistaken.

Why would Chapman limit himself - by only asking Gilmour?

I'm looking forward to the mystery surprise promised.
Will the book be accompanied by a CD containing a presumed lost Barrett session?

And what about the surviving 'Mind Shot' ('It Is Obvious') lyrics sheet, only party shown in the booklet of Barrett compilation 'Wouldn't You Miss Me' (2001)?
If this sheet gets overlooked, Barrett's actual lyrics typewritten by himself, the book won't be very much convincing to me.

ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

Gilmour was friends with him long before Pink Floyd, learned how to play guitar with him, went busking with him in France, and produced both of his solo albums. He also performed with him on BBC Radio shows into early 1971. He then built a home recording studio, and several of their friends recall Syd recording there and spending quite a bit of time at that house, into 1973 at least.
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Wolfpack »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:53 amGilmour was friends with him long before Pink Floyd, learned how to play guitar with him, went busking with him in France, and produced both of his solo albums. He also performed with him on BBC Radio shows into early 1971. He then built a home recording studio, and several of their friends recall Syd recording there and spending quite a bit of time at that house, into 1973 at least.
I'm happy that Gilmour somehow is involved!
But why no Waters and no Mason?
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

Guitar Heroes #9, May 1983:
"In 1974, Barrett attempted to record a third solo album with Peter Jenner producing. At one point Barrett was handed a sheet of lyrics typed in red. He thought he was being given a bill and tried to bite the bloke's fingers off. His playing, by all accounts was as sharp as his reasoning, and the project was abandoned after three days."
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Wolfpack »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:34 pmGuitar Heroes #9, May 1983:
"In 1974, Barrett attempted to record a third solo album with Peter Jenner producing. At one point Barrett was handed a sheet of lyrics typed in red. He thought he was being given a bill and tried to bite the bloke's fingers off. His playing, by all accounts was as sharp as his reasoning, and the project was abandoned after three days."
That reported "red" lyrics sheet is another mystery to me.
The leaked recordings of the 1974 sessions are all instrumental.

'If You Go Don't Be Slow' is one of them.
The only actual title from these sessions, although without vocals.

I guess the 1970 lyrics sheet 'Mind Shot' ('It Is Obvious') was found in the EMI archives,
as a rare exception of Barrett's actual lyrics.

Stranded I'm wrapping my ears
When her lions ask why
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

Wolfpack wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:41 am He even seems to have lived with Barrett, if I'm not mistaken.
Rick and Syd lived together for a some period of time. It is a known story that Rick talked about in an interview: how he used to say to Syd that he goes outside to buy a cigarettes, when in fact he went to a gig with Pink Floyd. Rick said, he felt awful lying to Syd.
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Wolfpack »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:53 am[Gilmour] also performed with [Barrett] on BBC Radio shows into early 1971.
Gilmour's involvement in the 1971 radio session is unconfirmed.
ZiggyZipgun wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:53 am[Gilmour] then built a home recording studio, and several of their friends recall Syd recording there and spending quite a bit of time at that house, into 1973 at least.
Gilmour's home studio... As far as I know, only Virginia 'Ginger' Hasenbein (Gilmour's first wife) recalls Barrett recording there. And she didn't even mention that in her book. ('Memoirs of the Bright Side of the Moon', 2015)
Felix's estimation is November 1971 to January 1972. For me, you're first to mention 1973.
Gilmour has never mentioned any home studio sessions with Barrett.

If those sessions really happened and recordings still exist, would they be part of a CD accompanying the book?
It sounds too good to be true to me, but only time will tell.
space triangle wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:43 pmRick and Syd lived together for a some period of time.
I seem to remember reading, Waters also lived with Barrett for some time. Somewhere before Pink Floyd went professional.

Has Waters even been asked to get involved in the getting the lyrics as right as possible?
Or might Barrett's work now be part of the Pink Floyd feud? (Either Gilmour or Waters, but not both?)
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Wolfpack »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:46 pm[Rob Chapman] "No doubt publishers will announce this in due course but the Syd Barrett lyric book has been put back to next year due to the Virus. A pity because there is going to be an exclusive in there which will make all Syd fans gasp and spontaneously combust when they read it."
There is going to be an exclusive in there which will make all Syd fans gasp and spontaneously combust when they READ it.
When they read the exclusive item... Unless Barrett fans are CD players, they won't be able to "read" a CD.

If it's something to be "read", I gues the exclusive might be some previously unreleased Barrett writing.
twcc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by twcc »

Agreed, I suspect written material... no CD has been mentioned in any blurb so a CD may indeed be 'too good to be true.

PS, guys please do not bump an entire post and quote sections carefully so that the thread makes sense.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:18 amLast month, Ginger Gilmour was interviewed and mentioned that Syd frequently visited their house in Woodley, Essex, and even recorded in Dave's makeshift home studio. Dave met Ginger when they performed at the University of Michigan on October 28, 1971, and she traveled with the band for the following month, met his parents when they played in New York, and moved to his house in England when they flew back in late November. One of Dave and Syd's longtime friends, Iain "Emo" Moore, confirmed that Ginger met Syd there, and that "he came to Woodley and David helped him record some music. Syd had to sit on a stool and David stood behind him and helped him play the guitar… arms around him…"

Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Wolfpack »

twcc wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:57 pmPS, guys please do not bump an entire post and quote sections carefully so that the thread makes sense.
Are you referring to my contributions? I always try to quote carefully. I'm always doing my best to write as good as possible, in a language which isn't my own. Suddenly seeing such a warning makes me rather nervous. Will I be writing for the dustbin? :?
ZiggyZipgun wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:18 am[Ginger] moved to [Gilmour's] house in England when they flew back in late November. One of Dave and Syd's longtime friends, Iain "Emo" Moore, confirmed that Ginger met Syd there, and that "he came to Woodley and David helped him record some music. Syd had to sit on a stool and David stood behind him and helped him play the guitar… arms around him…"
Moore doesn't say anything about Barrett recording at Gilmour's studio. He only confirms that Ginger has met Barrett.

To avoid this thread getting chaotic, I think there should be a thread dedicated to the Gilmour home studio story.