Pink Floyd The Endless River

Discussions about Pink Floyd and Solo Official Album CDs and DVDs.

Rate this Album

5 - Best
12%
35%
26%
16%
1 - Worst
12%

Total votes: 43

azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Re: Pink Floyd The Endless River

Post by azza200 »

Kerry King wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:37 am
Jimi Dean Barrett wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:47 pm
I'm picking it over anything from their 80's, 90's even late 70's if honest about it.
Why would you NOT be honest about such a thing? Sure, it's totally outrageous to pick it over Animals and The Wall, but so what? Obviously you have heard Animals and The Wall for years and years, over and over again, while The Endless River is still new to you. This has most likely caused you to lose perspective. 20 years from now if you still pick Endless River over Animals and The Wall I'll see you on the dark side of the moon.
why is it outrageous? peoples opinions may change over time and y'know maybe become more open minded to other albums and eras of the band with or without waters.

Since TLY box set release i have seen many people who did not like AMLOR or DSOT for prime example who actually like the album now and the newly done concert footage more then they ever did and that tour.
Last edited by azza200 on Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
Kerry King
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Kerry King »

azza200 wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:49 pm
Rather ignorant imo too you saying
"This has most likely caused you to lose perspective. 20 years from now if you still pick Endless River over Animals and The Wall I'll see you on the dark side of the moon."
LMAO lose perspective of what exactly not being a Roger fanboy fanatic like you. Change the record already there is more to PF then being in the Roger camp and dismissing the material and the band after he left it's so old and pathetic now and extremely boring give it a rest.
Uh... I don't think you're ignorant but in this little conversation between you and I you are the ignorant one. First: you really should read my posts about Waters. What you'll find is the opposite of a fanboy. You completely blew that one.

Second: I used the word "outrageous" in a sort of tongue in cheek way. I assumed Jimi Dean Barrett understood that. He actually seems to have read some of my other posts. Who did you think you were talking to when you said I was in the "Roger camp"? If you're trying to come across as being less ignorant you should be more accurate. Or at least have a discernible sense of humor about it.

Lastly: The Endless River is an afterthought in the pink floyd discography. My "perspective" comment boiled down to this: let's wait until we've heard Endless River as many times as we've heard Animals and The Wall before we start to compare them, or before we start to discuss them in terms of their "importance" to the pink floyd discography. I don't care if you say it's your favorite album of all time - it's too soon to make that call.
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

ok i have seen your posts on waters and i agree with several of them so i do apologize for my comment no hard feelings
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

Does anyone else think that 'Behold the Temple of Light' from The Man and the Journey sounds as if, with a more modern recording (e.g. like RPWL have given it), it could fit right in on The Endless River?
Kerry King
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Kerry King »

^ I think The Grand Vizier's Garden Party fits right in on The Endless River.

If by "endless river" they mean "endless flow of money from pf fans" then I think the song Money would have fit quite nicely as well.
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

Agreed 'The Grand Vizier's Garden Party' would fit on TER as well.

If PF had wanted to maximise their income from PF, then they would have toured more. The income from touring would be many times more than releasing an album, even one that goes to No. 1. I don't view TER as a cash grab - I think it's a tribute to RW as stated.
Kerry King
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Kerry King »

^ Yes but touring is hard work, you see. I doubt the assembling of TER was very strenuous. I'd imagine it was rather emotional.
I have nothing against The Endless River. As a tribute to RW it's very nice.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

I think the number of tracks on The Endless River is merely their way of making it work within the various streaming formats, but it's clearly just 4 pieces of music. Mason said they actually Googled "How long is a movement in classic music?" and ended up with about 12 to 14 minutes. I saved a copy as 4 tracks right after it came out (titled It's What We Do / Sum / The Lost Art of Conversation / Calling), and I often forget that everywhere else it's split up with lots of silly names. To rate each individual segment would be as annoying as reading separate reviews for all nine parts of "Shine On" - which was also one song, though eventually split into two sections for the album, and the "parts" were just due to technicalities of how they received royalties for the publishing rights (same as "Father's Shout", "Breast Milky", etc). Gilmour explained that it's meant to build up gradually across the length of the album, and that it's for people that enjoy listening to a whole album in one sitting; in that scenario, "Louder Than Words" is just a couple short verses at the end of a much larger composition. "Echoes" was composed in very much the same way, just like most of their longer songs. The band Yes would record all of their ideas, and leave it to their engineer to assemble them into songs, which they would then have to learn all over again - at least Pink Floyd maintained a hands-on approach throughout the entire process. My only complaint is that they used someone other than Dick Parry for the sax parts, but as a whole, it's a great album.
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by theaussiefloydian »

Gonna be honest here, I still love TER. Sure, it sounds far more like an epilogue than a final chapter, but I honestly don't mind that at all. I'm also a sucker for ambient music, so hearing Pink Floyd play with that genre again was really cool in my mind. It's also the only Floyd album to be released in my lifetime, so the excitement I felt about it when it came out in high school is also a vivid memory.
I dunno, I think it's just a little hard done by. It's obviously not WYWH, but it's still really nice and I find myself returning to it every so often. 3.5/5
Last edited by theaussiefloydian on Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

I agree with the comments above. I didn't have time to listen to it while doing nothing else, but did give TER a spin. It's a good album which musically references several different eras of PF, and really shows the aspect of the band that was temporarily lost during TW --> TFC.
cigar73
Embryo
Embryo

Post by cigar73 »

Some nice bits of guitar and ambient sounds but the involvement of Gilmour and Mason in the finished product is so minimal that to call it a Pink Floyd album and be deserving of that is a bit laughable. The album title is cheesy and lacks any bite or edge or imagination and the cover is pretty appalling. Gilmour pretty much emailed in his parts. It’s a Pink Floyd as Youth and Phil Manzanera album featuring cameos from Gilmour and Mason. Once you know this there’s no unknowing it and it’s hard to take the album seriously. Even the cover is nowhere near the quality of the Hipgnosis or Scarfe covers, which Floyd were famous for. It all feels very half baked.

However, the final track is quite emotional despite the abysmal Polly Samson lyrics.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

:roll:
khyber
Embryo
Embryo

Post by khyber »

I like most of this record. And to me there is more good material as on AMLOR and TDB.
'Anisina' and 'Noodle Street' are the worst tracks and 'Louder than Words' is also doing nothing for me.
For myself, I combined the remaining stuff with the best bits of AMLOR (2019 Mix) and TDB (at leat 20min from each Album) and 4 short instrumentals from Broken China to a long 90min album, which flows much better (for me)
K2+
Axe
Axe

Post by K2+ »

4. Lots of great music here, some missed opportunities, and absolutely cringe-worthy lyrics on the final track. In an ideal world, they would have had Roger join in, play bass on a few tracks, and write the lyrics for the closing song, maybe sing it with David. That would have been a perfect way to end the band's legacy IMO. I'm sure David had no interest in collaborating with Roger in any capacity though, so we got what we got.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

K2+ wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:11 pm 4. Lots of great music here, some missed opportunities, and absolutely cringe-worthy lyrics on the final track. In an ideal world, they would have had Roger join in, play bass on a few tracks, and write the lyrics for the closing song, maybe sing it with David. That would have been a perfect way to end the band's legacy IMO. I'm sure David had no interest in collaborating with Roger in any capacity though, so we got what we got.
Roger hasn't written in a style suitable for Pink Floyd since he left, and he rarely played bass on their albums anyway.

Anthony Moore would've been a more suitable lyricist, since he wrote "Wearing the Inside Out" and Broken China.