Pink Floyd - Atom Heart Mother

Discussions about Pink Floyd and Solo Official Album CDs and DVDs.

Rate This Album

5 - Best
21%
43%
27%
6%
1 - Worst
3%

Total votes: 116

ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Re: Pink Floyd - Atom Heart Mother

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

Not much of a concept, given the content of "If" and "Summer '68" don't have anything to do with the pastoral theme. They went into the studio empty-handed, since they're weren't able to make an album from their Zabriskie Point sessions. They recorded the basic version of the title track, and handed it off to Ron Geesin to do whatever he wanted. The fact that they each wrote one song, and then assembled another piece to fill out that side, probably just came down to equal division of labor. "Rise and Shine" is based on keyboard parts that Rick played during the major key version of "Careful With That Axe, Eugene" during the ZP sessions ("Explosion" on Devi/ation) and "Sunny Side Up" is essentially a half-tempo version of "Love Scene Version 7", but with pedal steel guitar added (since he bought it while touring in between). "Recorded March through August" sounds like a lot of time, but they also worked on Barrett (a lot of which fits nicely with Side 2), Music From 'The Body' (with all of them appearing on "Give Birth to a Smile"), played at least 9 shows, rebuilt their quadraphonic sound system, and began discussions with Roman Polanski, Roland Petit, and others for a really bizarre project that was ultimately aborted (though they ended up doing a few performances with Petit's ballet a few years later). The whole album was pretty much thrown together as quickly as possible, because their next tour was scheduled to start before they'd even be able to release it. To add to the confusion, Syd was still loitering in the studio while they worked on it.
cigar73
Embryo
Embryo

Post by cigar73 »

An album I love very much. I admit though, I enjoyed it much more before I learned of the bands hatred and embarrassment surrounding it. That was pretty disappointing.

When I discovered Floyd in the very early 1990s AHM was just so different from everything else I was listening to, even contemporary stuff.

AHM just felt so mysterious and strange. At times I often wonder how such “average” musicians and pulled off a sound and vision so unlike anything else and AHM encapsulates that - even if the band don’t like it.
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

^Right?!!
There's just this magic. It's not an amateur performance. It's a really tight band. It appears effortless but then you get the whole sound of them playing together. It's really regrettable certain band members have a low opinion of the record.
It's probably the last "innocence" album from the band. Meddle onwards had er... "Grown up" Production.
Have you tried listening to AHM then Is There Anybody Out There? back to back? I think for serotonin purposes, maybe ITAOT? then AHM.
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

cigar73 wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:51 am
When I discovered Floyd in the very early 1990s AHM was just so different from everything else I was listening to, even contemporary stuff.

AHM just felt so mysterious and strange. At times I often wonder how such “average” musicians and pulled off a sound and vision so unlike anything else and AHM encapsulates that - even if the band don’t like it.
This is exactly how I felt when I discovered AHM for the first time. I love AHM, and I will always love that album. Whatever the members of Pink Floyd may think about it. They have no idea what great music is! :lol:
battra
Knife
Knife

Post by battra »

I finally took the plunge with this one.

Maybe, it's been noticed that I've been talking up the Japanese pressings of Floyd records I've been acquiring lately, but this one...

I ordered it on the Toshiba created red vinyl.

I ordered it last week...hoping that it arrives this weekend.
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

:-;
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by theaussiefloydian »

^^
I feel like I'm having a stroke looking at that image.
twcc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by twcc »

The 'special edition' due out on 8 December 2023 with the live CD recording and Blu-ray of the 'Hakone Aphrodite' festival looks interesting ... but the details regarding simple stereo, quad, 5.1 or ATMOS are missing from the write-up.
Does anyone have more details ??
Pink Floyd’s first concert in Japan, at the Hakone Aphrodite festival, will be released as a special 2-disc package in a 7-inch sleeve, containing the “Atom Heart Mother” album on CD and a Blu-ray disc featuring newly discovered video of the performance from over 50 years ago. The album will be released on December 8. Originally only released in Japan in 2021, the set contains some unique memorabilia – a special photo book containing many rare, never-seen-before photos, reproductions of the pamphlet, the poster, the concert ticket, and the flier distributed at the event. The only Pink Floyd footage at Hakone Aphrodite that exists is that of the 16-minute-long suite “Atom Heart Mother.” The details including whereabouts of the master film and how it was shot had been a mystery for a long time. However, after fifty years, the original 16mm film of this video was discovered in a fan’s garage. The meticulous processes of digitizing, restoring and remastering was undertaken and finally this enhanced video will be released outside of Japan. Over 50 years ago, Japan’s first international outdoor rock festival “Hakone Aphrodite” was held at a specially built venue beside Hakone Ashinoko Lake on August 6th and 7th, 1971. Pink Floyd’s first ever concert in Japan was as headliner for the festival. Aspiring to be the Japanese Woodstock, The “Hakone Aphrodite” invited many international artists and became the first rock festival experience for many Japanese fans. The set contains not only the original live footage (with audio taken from the gig at Hakone Aphrodite), but also behind-the-scenes footage of the band, travelling between the airport, the hotel, the press conference, the bullet train, the show set-up, and, of course, beautiful Japanese scenery.

https://youtu.be/-KORcgDnB90
battra
Knife
Knife

Post by battra »

Said it elsewhere.

I'm sticking with my Red Japanese Supervinyl.
cigar73
Embryo
Embryo

Post by cigar73 »

I’ve purchased the Hakone Special Edition. It’s nice but not worth £45 as it’s just the 2011 remaster.
KwQ
Embryo
Embryo

Post by KwQ »

Can you drop me link vi pm to this newly restored footage?