Fearless - ending

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
Eleanore_Rigby
Embryo
Embryo

Fearless - ending

Post by Eleanore_Rigby »

Hello to all, I am new here. Can so. help out and indicate the key on "fearless" - reverse ending? What does it mean? What is the message? Thanks.
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Re: Fearless - ending

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

Welcome to the forum, Eleanore_Rigby!
As far as I can hear it's the 70's crowd at a Liverpool FC match shouting the teams name, but looped and with the odd syllable cut out.
That's all I heard on the Meddle version of Fearless. Not heard the Nick Mason version yet.
Luke Balika
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Luke Balika »

Fearless has one of the worst outros of all Pink Floyd songs. I have to skip it everytime. I seriously missed opportunity for a dope solo or something.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

From various sources, I have learned the following:

1. "Fearless" is a term used by football (soccer) players

2. Pink Floyd are huge fans of a particular team (I forget which, because I don't sport, but I think they're called Arsenal)

3. At said teams games, the crowd has a tendency (for some reason I forget, but I think was explained at one time,) to begin singing the Rodgers and Hammerstein song "You'll Never Walk Alone."

4. A crowd at a game was recorded doing that very thing and Pink Floyd decided to use it.

What does it all mean?

Sounds like a giant sports reference to me.

And now I'm triggered. *shrug*
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by theaussiefloydian »

mosespa wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 3:58 pm 2. Pink Floyd are huge fans of a particular team (I forget which, because I don't sport, but I think they're called Arsenal)
Arsenal is the Islington football club (or so I'm told by the internet). The chanting at the end of "Fearless" is from a Liverpool game (I'm like 99% certain they chant "Liverpool! [-D-] Liverpool! [-D-] " at the end there), and from the Wikipedia page on "You'll Never Walk Alone" it says that the song is popular with the Liverpool F.C.
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

Roger Waters is a big Arsenal fan. In the 70's he could often be seen at Arsenal games. On one occasion, he stated that Pink Floyd interrupted all work in only two cases - when Monty Python was on TV, or when Arsenal played game.
As for the song by Liverpool fans "You'll Never Walk Alone" at the end of Fearless, it was recorded in May 1971 when Pink Floyd were in northern England in Ainsdale near Liverpool holding rehearsals for two weeks. They watched Liverpool - Arsenal game live at the time, and recorded a song of the Liverpool fans.