How 'Narrow Way' became 'Atom Heart' - a video

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
TheLazenby
Knife
Knife

How 'Narrow Way' became 'Atom Heart' - a video

Post by TheLazenby »

Hello!

I used to be on this forum YEARS ago (you'll notice my "Ticket To Ride" thread seems to have resurfaced), and I thought I'd pop up again to share this. Over the past few years I've done a comedic persona on YouTube - but her (yes, her!) newest video is a bit different. :)

I've wanted to try my hand at more informative videos, so this time around, my alter-ego takes you step-by-step through a forgotten piece of Pink Floyd lore - how "The Narrow Way" mutated into "Atom Heart Mother". Enjoy! :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81w7RhWh7Ks
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Re: How 'Narrow Way' became 'Atom Heart' - a video

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

Welcome back and actually I have never, ever made such a connection between the two pieces before!
Just going to watch. Yeah, I thought because of their dismissal of the studio side they threw out everything associated with it.
scarecrow
Blade
Blade

Post by scarecrow »

Yeah, I like the clip, Lazenby :D

I'd also never connected those two pieces. Makes sense though... typically musician's have their own 'chord palette', that comes from habitual learning/ playing. I reckon it's why many musicians in later career stages find themselves battling against writing the same song again and again (and others just roll with it).

I like this kind of stuff as it makes sense of that whole journey between Piper and Dark Side. I used to think of much of 68-71 period as a series of misfires and a band struggling to reach it's previous heights (whilst liking bits and pieces), whereas now I think Gilmour and the others were already knocking it into a more refined (in traditional musical terms) thing in '68.

Although Atom Heart Mother possibly is my least favourite of all Floyd albums... I think the whole experiment with the orchestra etc ultimately produced a clunky, laboured sort of record.

I think possibly a relationship also between Narrow Way's D (A>G#) chromatic motif and Crying Song (Waters) > Opel (Barrett) > Brain Damage (Waters)? Or is that just a case of them all listening to blues?
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

It's interesting, but it's quite streched theory. By that logic 'Moonhead' evolved into both 'Breathe' and 'Money'(same bass lines). And, long live version of 'Embryo' evolved prety much into 'Echoes'.
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

This is definitely an unusual way of presenting Pink Floyd information. I must admit that when I see people pushing their blogs and similar on forums, I often raise an eyebrow. However, you do certainly have a fairly unique gimmick there. Though, I'd recommend a careful shave with a five blade razor before filming.

I agree with the general impression I get (accurately?) from the other posters. A lot of song-writers re-use basic chord progressions, feels, and other characteristics of works without it being the same track or even a development thereof. There are similarities between the tracks but I'm not yet convinced it's enough similarity to be noteworthy.
Kerry King
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Kerry King »

What kind of accent is that supposed to be?
Annoying Twit wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:37 pm A lot of song-writers re-use basic chord progressions, feels, and other characteristics of works without it being the same track or even a development thereof. There are similarities between the tracks but I'm not yet convinced it's enough similarity to be noteworthy.
Right. Pink Floyd mostly keeps it simple. Waters usually sticks to a few chords and his vocal melodies are often limited to what he is capable of singing.

Question for the OP. Does your SNL collection include Things We Did Last Summer?
TheLazenby
Knife
Knife

Post by TheLazenby »

You know what, I didn't know "Things We Did Last Summer" came out on VHS!

I own it (as part of the Season 4 DVD set), but not as a VHS. (I stuck to the mid-90's Starmaker tapes though, too many otherwise.)

And yes.... I shave with a six-blade razor to get in character, and it STILL looks like hell. Especially the moustache.
TheLazenby
Knife
Knife

Post by TheLazenby »

space triangle wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:02 pm It's interesting, but it's quite streched theory. By that logic 'Moonhead' evolved into both 'Breathe' and 'Money'(same bass lines). And, long live version of 'Embryo' evolved prety much into 'Echoes'.
I was actually considering doing an "Embryo" video as a follow-up to this - looking at the various incarnations and how it shares portions of "Corrosion" and "Echoes", not to mention, that extremely long final live version that produced "Breathe."
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

TheLazenby wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:33 amI was actually considering doing an "Embryo" video as a follow-up to this - looking at the various incarnations and how it shares portions of "Corrosion" and "Echoes", not to mention, that extremely long final live version that produced "Breathe."
Do it! It's interesting videos to follow. Ps: But please, shave you first. Just kidding. :D
Luke Balika
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Luke Balika »

The Narrow Way is 100% the most underrated PF song, that shit slaps so hard