Eddie Van Halen

Talk about any music other than Pink Floyd/Solo Stuff
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Eddie Van Halen

Post by drafsack »

Back in 1978 I saw Van Halen supporting Black Sabbeth. At the end of their support slot Eddie pointed into the audience and shouted "Bristol Bristol we'll be back to Bristol' Well I think its safe to say that won't be happening any time soon
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

https://youtu.be/uIF6bkxCmbc

i heard this the first time the other day and saw a video of them playing it in the studio not a bad cover
K2+
Axe
Axe

Post by K2+ »

I think only Jimi had a greater impact on rock guitar than Eddie. Whether you think the impact Eddie had was positive or negative is subjective, but there is no denying that there is rock guitar playing before Eddie came along, and rock guitar playing after.
A good portion of the guitar playing from the 80s is heavily based on Eddie's style (and to a lesser extent Yngwie Malmsteen), although it seemed to keep getting faster, and faster, and faster until- "yawn"

What most of the wannabes/imitators didn't have that Eddie had in spades was his innate sense of swing- go listen to the isolated guitar tracks for Hang Em High and Beautiful Girls on YouTube.
Eddie was also a tinkerer, building his own guitars, helping design amps, etc.

While I won't say EVH is or ever was one of my favorites, he was a tremendously gifted musician whose impact on rock guitar playing cannot be overstated IMO.
RIP