Re: 1990 - The Wall Live in Berlin Performance

Post by admiral panther »

go scorpians! :D
Fingals Cave
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Fingals Cave »

I was living in Germany at the time and went to it. One of my workmates had a mate who was driving there and he had a space in his car. It's quite a long way from near Frankfurt to Berlin and it took most of the Friday night. I remember the distinct change in the state of the roads once you crossed what remained of the inner-German border, past the lookout towers that had been trashed and graffiti'd. The DDR autobahns hadn't been upgraded since the end of the war, deliberately so, to make the transit from West Germany to West Berlin as difficult as possible. Every few yards you went Ba-Doom! across the joins in the concrete slabs, and there were cracks and potholes all over the place, meaning that high speed was impossible. With so many cars en route to Berlin, pretty soon we hit a huge jam. So big that we didn't move for 2 hours but everyone just got out of their cars, cranked up the stereos, sat on the roofs, cracked open the beers and skinned up spliffs. 1990 was a hot summer and perfect for that.

Got to Berlin by about mid-Saturday morning and that gave me plenty of time to wander around the city. Fascinating place at any time, especially just a few months after die Wende. Wish I'd had another day to do that.

There was quite a large camp outside Potsdamer Platz and I was amazed to hear someone call my name, some people I knew from festivals in England!

The gig itself was rather underwhelming. Berlin's got an amazing music scene, and I think that should have been showcased, a coming together of West and Eastern underground. How does Kraftwerk, Can, Amon Duul, Brainticket, Extrabreit, Grauzone, Die Toten, Puhdys and Renft sound for a line-up? Plus a bunch of early techno producers. And you would probably have got half the English free festival bands showing up too. Potsdamer Platz was big enough to have had several sound systems, stages and marquees. Instead it was turgid stadium rock, with the aforementioned B-listers.
I had fun talking to various groups of people. One crew had just seen Floyd at Knebworth. They didn't look like heads but gave me a tab of acid, and that made things fun. I remember the sound was really quiet, I could hardly hear it and failed a few numbers into Roger's set and thousands of people shouting "Lauter! Lauter!" Don't need to understand much German for that.
I was quite moved when they encored with "The Tide Is Turning", as I'd never heard it. Cheesy as that might sound. But when you consider all that went down in 1989, and then Mandela coming out of prison a few months into 1990, there was every reason for young dudes to feel that tides were turning.

I stayed in the Platz for quite a while, watching the crowds empty out and realizing where I was standing, imagining what it must have been like a few months earlier when the wall really did come down.

On the way out I joined up with a crew from Nottingham who'd some over on a coach, and they had a night to kill too, so we spent the night wandering around West Berlin, in several bars and cafes. Nice people, biker hippies and hilarious company. pretty sure a couple of them were tripping too.

I had to meet my lift back, at the station cafe at Zoo-Bahnhof on the Sunday at 2, and I was just about awake enough to do it. Sitting there with a beer and a bag of Erdnussflips (like peanut butter crunchy corn snacks,mmmmm delish) drifting in and out of consciousness. I slept all the way back in the car!
twcc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by twcc »

Thread resurrection alert!

The Wall: Live in Berlin has entered the UK Official Vinyl Album LP Chart at No.8 ](*,)
Hadrian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Hadrian »

Yes, it was re-released a few days ago on coloured vinyl: https://recordstoreday.com/SpecialRelease/12251
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

I had no idea and apologies for not mentioning it on this forum when I saw it chart last Friday!
Too busy looking at Nick Mason's chart position.
And I'm not knocking those who do, but vinyl collecting I'm not into these days. Was how this begun(!) but yeah. Prefer CDs but glad the vinyl has actually improved than the 90's! I was happy with second hand, but I always strived to buy PF stuff from HMV on their shelves. It was the absolute wobbly shoddiness of Hot Rocks by the Rolling Stones than gave me my "Bollocks to this, I'm getting it on tape or CD in future!".
Hadrian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Hadrian »

By the way, this one is on clear (white) vinyl. I always wanted to see The Wall record in white.
Chaniphis
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Chaniphis »

Has anyone mentioned how many people got heat stroke that day? I was surrounded by strokers....
khyber
Embryo
Embryo

Post by khyber »

Chaniphis wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:52 pm Has anyone mentioned how many people got heat stroke that day? I was surrounded by strokers....
me too. I've been waiting the whole day front stage for the concert to begin, only had some water and cigarettes
battra
Knife
Knife

Post by battra »

Before last night, I had no idea this new pressing existed.

I bought it today.

Damn it!!
battra
Knife
Knife

Post by battra »

Just an FYI...

My copy finally arrived. I purchased this as an anniversary gift to myself as the wife didn't get me one. ;)

I've watched the video of it a couple of times since then and I'm thinking I always disliked it due to the disappointment of getting it and not Pink Floyd the Wall when I got my first CD player.

It wasn't the same as my cassette tape ya see.

So, it bothered me.

I think I can appreciate it now.

It's been cleaned and it's spinning now.
Master_Chief
Blade
Blade

Post by Master_Chief »

I can't believe I managed to pick up the final copy at my local record store last weekend, along with the final copy of Arnold Layne from Record Store Day as well. 8)
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

Why is this not placed into ''Pink Floyd and Solo Albums'' section of the forum ? 8)
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

space triangle wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:38 pm Why is this not placed into ''Pink Floyd and Solo Albums'' section of the forum ? 8)
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=20314
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

drafsack wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:20 pmviewtopic.php?f=47&t=20314
Yes, I know about this main thread, but I'm just thinking about why the two same threads will do on a forum. It should be merged together, otherwise there is a confusion. The same was a case with ‘The Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking’ album. Two separate same threads existed for several years I recall. 8)
battra
Knife
Knife

Post by battra »

I don't recall if I mentioned this or not earlier, and I'm not looking up because dogs can't look up.

But...For years I knew the song What Shall We Do Know...I mean, I knew it...but it wasn't ON THE WALL...

It was only recently that I realized because my first copy of The Wall on CD was Live In Berlin...and it's on there.