David Gilmour – Live in Gdansk DVD

Discussions about Pink Floyd and Solo Official Album CDs and DVDs.

Rate this Video/DVD

5 - Best
52%
38%
3%
No votes
1 - Worst
7%

Total votes: 29

kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Re: David Gilmour – Live in Gdansk DVD

Post by kjek1 »

The comments about Guy Pratt crack me up. Bunch of whinging self loathers, how dare the guy enjoy himself.
Last edited by kjek1 on Sat Oct 08, 2016 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Follix
Knife
Knife

Post by Follix »

As a bassist Pratt got more skills than Roger Waters.
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

Follix wrote:As a bassist Pratt got more skills than Roger Waters.
So have most bass players to be honest
moodyblue
Hammer
Hammer

Post by moodyblue »

kjek1 wrote:
Follix wrote:As a bassist Pratt got more skills than Roger Waters.
So have most bass players to be honest
Absolutely agree.
I particularly like his bassline on 'Today'. I cannot even contemplate Roger being close to being as creative as Guy Pratt on bass.
K2+
Axe
Axe

Post by K2+ »

4. I can't really be objective when rating this, as it was Rick's last gig. Also, am I rating the DVD? the CDs? The whole package?

I like the integration of the orchestra, although I think they add more on some tracks than others. I like the band setup, with no extra background singers or sax players, etc. Not that I have anything against those, it's just nice to hear a different band setup.
I don't like the setlist for the DVD, as it's mostly OAI, and the only tracks I really like from that are the title track and The Blue.

The version of Astronomy Domine is great, and like someone said earlier in the thread, reminded me of the Syd era with the light show.

Echoes is the highlight of the entire gig for me.

Lastly, I know I'll probably be criticized for this, but it's nice to NOT have Run Like Hell in the setlist. It's one of the most overrated songs in the entire PF discography IMO.
Gslatner
Axe
Axe

Post by Gslatner »

I agree with the comment about Run Like Hell, I really don’t care about the song unless I’m hearing it in the context of the entire Wall album, he I love it. Echoes is he highlight of the album for me because Rick was there and there aren’t a million live versions out there. Overall it’s good concert to watch
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

K2+ wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:37 am 4. I can't really be objective when rating this, as it was Rick's last gig. Also, am I rating the DVD? the CDs? The whole package?

I like the integration of the orchestra, although I think they add more on some tracks than others. I like the band setup, with no extra background singers or sax players, etc. Not that I have anything against those, it's just nice to hear a different band setup.
I don't like the setlist for the DVD, as it's mostly OAI, and the only tracks I really like from that are the title track and The Blue.

The version of Astronomy Domine is great, and like someone said earlier in the thread, reminded me of the Syd era with the light show.

Echoes is the highlight of the entire gig for me.

Lastly, I know I'll probably be criticized for this, but it's nice to NOT have Run Like Hell in the setlist. It's one of the most overrated songs in the entire PF discography IMO.
lol Shine On, Money and WYWH are songs which both need to be dropped by David in future tours & Brick P2 by Roger even more so. I liked seeing David play RLH back in 2016. The 06 OAI Tour was more aimed at the die hard fan hence why there was no hit songs in the setlist Money, Brick 2 all heavy rare songs in the 2nd set. Echoes, Dominoes, Whats The Deal, FOS, Wearing The Inside Out, Arnold Layne. Easily his best selection of songs he played during the second set on that tour.

Davids last tour was basically an abridged version of the 1994 non DSOTM setlist David has not played Money & RLH since 94 and he played them before on his 84 solo tour.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

azza200 wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:57 pm Davids last tour was basically an abridged version of the 1994 non DSOTM setlist David has not played Money & RLH since 94 and he played them before on his 84 solo tour.
^Worth noting that Money, Run Like Hell, and Comfortably Numb were the only Floyd tunes he played on his first solo tour.
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:46 pm
azza200 wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:57 pm Davids last tour was basically an abridged version of the 1994 non DSOTM setlist David has not played Money & RLH since 94 and he played them before on his 84 solo tour.
^Worth noting that Money, Run Like Hell, and Comfortably Numb were the only Floyd tunes he played on his first solo tour.
correct
Last edited by azza200 on Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

azza200 wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:03 pm2nd solo tour he played those songs 1984
That was his first solo tour.
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:08 pm
azza200 wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:03 pm2nd solo tour he played those songs 1984
That was his first solo tour.
i know my mistake
battra
Knife
Knife

Post by battra »

Who's leg do I gotta hump to get a vinyl repress of this one?