Richard Wright - Wet Dream

Discussions about Pink Floyd and Solo Official Album CDs and DVDs.

Rate this album

5 - Best
31%
27%
20%
15%
1 - Worst
7%

Total votes: 59

K2+
Axe
Axe

Re: Richard Wright - Wet Dream

Post by K2+ »

4. I like this one better than Broken China. I don't think the material is weak at all, and I like the playing. Rick is my favorite singer in Pink Floyd, so it's nice to hear an entire album with him doing the vocals.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

drafsack wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:36 amYou need to listen to this album with the context of the year it was released and what was happening in the band. its pre Wall and post 'In the flesh tour'. The band are fractured, Roger is writing The Wall, David has just released his own solo album, Nick is out playing with his cars and Rick is off sailing his boat around the Greek Islands and living the Rock and Roll lifestyle. He has also, for the first time, had no writing credits on the Animals albums as Rogers dominance as a song writer and 'band leader' is now really starting to show and he feels he has nothing to contribute to the band.
This isn't quite accurate. Very little was written by any of them after late 1973 - they debuted "Shine On", "Dogs", and "Sheep" in early '74, but they had all been in the works since late 1971; the five remaining songs that filled out Wish You Were Here and Animals were written fairly quickly in the studio, and Rick played exceptionally well all over them, but there wasn't any room left on those albums for him to expand those songs and claim a writing credit.

Rick actually recorded his solo album before Dave, because Wet Dream was still being mixed while David Gilmour was being recorded in the same studio. During a 1974 interview, Rick talked about his plans to make a solo album, and even suggested that the band should pair off and have different side projects, and if they didn't, they probably wouldn't stay together much longer. Dave really wanted a break from the band, and stuck to his gang of pre-Floyd mates from Jokers Wild, plus his brother, Mark. According to Ginger Gilmour, after the album was finished they flew to Hawaii, stayed much longer than originally planned, and enjoyed it so much that they were looking to buy a house and move there permanently until they found out the band's money had been lost in the Norton Warburg debacle. Nick also recorded Fictitious Sports with Robert Wyatt and Carla Bley that year, but didn't release it until three years later, right around the time that their lawsuit against the Norton Warburg Group was settled and the band was awarded $1Mil.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

I hadn't listened to this album in such a long time. Its great that Guy Pratt got Steven Wilson involved to breathe new life into the mix. For many fans old and new alike, it may feel like a new Pink Floyd album.
Ashes andDiamonds07
Blade
Blade

Post by Ashes andDiamonds07 »

I finally gave it a listen after the Steven Wilson remix was released the other day. I'm not much a fan of the lyrics on this album but I'll be the first to admit they're better then anything I could write :lol: And everything else is amazing. I'm kicking myself for never listening to it before, Cat Cruise is a journey, Against All Odds is amazing and Holiday is beautiful, but to me, Pink's Song is the stand out track.
twcc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by twcc »

telys
Embryo
Embryo

Post by telys »

Bought the new mix a week ago or so... and I accidently bought Gilmours first solo album at about the same time. What a difference in music quality. DGs stuff is really just a mess of half a riff going on for 5-6 minutes. RW got proper songs, great melodies, good singing, and the production is miles above DGs.
Wet Dream is probably the second best Floyd solo album pre-00. The best is of course Broken China. And yes, I'm not a Waters' guy, never have been and now his stuff is stored away in a dark place in an obscure corner of a forgotten room. And we all thought Syd was the crazy one...
Ashes andDiamonds07
Blade
Blade

Post by Ashes andDiamonds07 »

Listening back on it for the first time since the new remix was released, I have to say, it's even better this time around.
Summer Elegy... what a track! [-D-]

However, not quite Broken China...