Roger Waters - The Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking

Discussions about Pink Floyd and Solo Official Album CDs and DVDs.

Rate this album

5 - Best
29%
16%
26%
10%
1 - Worst
19%

Total votes: 80

space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Re: Roger Waters - The Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking

Post by space triangle »

The Pros and Cons of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. 8) I wonder if Douglas Adams liked this album?
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

The Pros and Cons of Hitch Hiking is a very good album. From the first track where the man is jarred awake from a nightmare and his wife is heard saying, "Wake up - You're dreaming", this album manages to hold my attention throughout its entirety. There's alot to like about this album: Eric Clapton's assistance is heard within the "bluesy" guitar portions of this album, and this lends a very unique quality to Roger Water's composition.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

space triangle wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:15 pm The Pros and Cons of Hitch Hiking is a very good album.
It is a great album, though the title track has not aged well, and makes me wonder what the hell Roger listens to in his free time. It's essentially one long song, with a couple brief detours, but it works. The narrative is in the lyrics, and not in the annoying chit-chat background noise like Radio KAOS.
Djgilmour
Blade
Blade

Re: Pros and Cons

Post by Djgilmour »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:16 pm Accidents happen, man - just look at Radio KAOS.
Radio Kaos has 5 very good songs
Who needs information
The powers that be
Home
Me or him
And that song about that dog
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

Djgilmour wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:38 am Radio Kaos has 5 very good songs
Who needs information
The powers that be
Home
Me or him
Anything's possible, but outside of the context of the album, they don't stand in their own or make any sense, and even as part of the album, without the sound effects, they don't make any sense. And if they are very good, what is that in comparison to?

Wham?
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:52 am.. they don't stand in their own or make any sense,
How 'The Tide Is Turning' per instance can't stand on his own? The song has a 'anathem' feeling soraunding it! Almost similar as 'Wind Of Change' by Scorpions.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

space triangle wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 2:29 pmHow 'The Tide Is Turning' per instance can't stand on his own? The song has a 'anathem' feeling soraunding it! Almost similar as 'Wind Of Change' by Scorpions.
I'm not familiar with "Wind of Change" - you could say Scorpions are anathema to me.

No, "The Tide is Turning" doesn't fit into the KAOS storyline at all; it's more of a postscript tacked onto the end to counter his "Gloomiest Man in Rock and Roll" reputation. It's ironic because he wasn't asked to perform at Live Aid - or if they were asked to perform as Pink Floyd, it was Roger who said no. The male choir on the track just makes me regret not watching The Hunt for Red October instead of listening to Radio KAOS.
twcc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by twcc »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 2:48 pm ...
I'm not familiar with "Wind of Change"
Not familiar !, here's the video which includes more than a few frames from the Roger Waters 'Berlin Wall' concert ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4RjJKxsamQ
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

twcc wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:49 pmNot familiar !
Okay, I have heard that song.

But like most '80s music, it's...not for me.
Kerry King
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Kerry King »

The Tide Is Turning and Wind Of Change are two of the worst songs in the history of recorded music. The Tide Is Turning makes fools of those who take it seriously.

"Live Aid was the biggest cocaine money laundering scheme of all time" -Frank Zappa

TPACOH has 3 or 4 decent songs. Clapton is as dull and obvious as ever. Waters is just about out of steam. It's the beginning of the end of his run.
Last edited by Kerry King on Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

☝️ I like this guy.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

It was a strange time, because I was working with Eric Clapton as well, and the only reason I went on the road is because Eric said I should tour it. And not only that, he came on the road with me. I said, "If you go, I'll go." I did a tour with Eric Clapton as my guitar player! It was terrific.
Roger Waters, 1999

As Roger has said, "human memory is a fallible device." He'd always planned Pros and Cons to be an album, a stage show, and a film, just like The Wall, and it was a big production that was being developed concurrently with the recording of the album, with Clapton coming in to add his parts at the very end. Roger didn't enjoy Eric being on the tour and would storm offstage when he'd get a bigger applause; Eric didn't enjoy being on the tour and left after 19 shows. And it lost a massive amount of money.
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:52 am
Djgilmour wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:38 am Radio Kaos has 5 very good songs
Who needs information
The powers that be
Home
Me or him
Anything's possible, but outside of the context of the album, they don't stand in their own or make any sense, and even as part of the album, without the sound effects, they don't make any sense. And if they are very good, what is that in comparison to?

Wham?
[-D-] :smt043 :smt046
Eclipse

Post by Eclipse »

This album took me a lot of time to get into, but now I really enjoy it.

About the guitars: I love Gilmour's guitar in Pink Floyd, but Clapton has done a great work in this album! And it was a nice combination. I also love Jeff Beck's work in Amused To Death.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:52 am And if they are very good, what is that in comparison to?

Wham?
In comparison to "Watching TV," "Late Home Tonight," "Too Much Rope," just for starters.

But something doesn't have to compare to other songs in order to be considered "very good" by someone. All that needs to happen is that the chord progression and melody be something that appeals strongly to the listener. Art CAN be subjective, y'know.

And that comes from an Objectivist. *shrug*