I envy the winters most of you have...

Talk about anything in here from the price of tea to the state of the economy!
Eclipse

I envy the winters most of you have...

Post by Eclipse »

It is summer here, and I don't like it too much. I only like heat in small doses.
I live in a subtropical climate region of the south of Brazil, that means, even though we can have some nice winters, the summers can be really tough (for me). At least we can have some nice coldwaves between June and August, leading many times to frost, but snow only very seldom and in very specific mountainous spots.
Other places, such as Rio de Janeiro to the north of the country, are purely tropical, so almost purely summer all the year long there.

Anyway, each season has its charm, and I can enjoy all of them. But summer does require a bit more of my patience. :lol:
I'm curious to know how you feel towards the more "wintry winter" the forum folks who live in colder places during this season. Does it get boring fast? Looking forward to summer?
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Re: I envy the winters most of you have...

Post by space triangle »

Even winter can be fun for someone who is Pink Floyd fan! 8)

mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Here in my part of the States, we don't see a lot of snow, but right now, we're seeing a shit-ton of ice.

And I.

Am.

Over.

It.

Honestly, though, I'm always over winter by December 26 if we don't have snow for Christmas.

And we rarely have snow for Christmas.
Eclipse

Post by Eclipse »

AH the snow, maybe someday I'll see+feel it!
My city, Porto Alegre, had relevant snow only once. It was in August 1984, I was - lol- dead in that year, so I could not see it.

But here's a newspaper pic from the event:

Last year, we had some frozen rain in a cold wave at the end of August. The best we can get. :lol:
Another interesting event was in the first week of September 2006. I was at the University campus, the day was mild, and then the wind got really strong and chilly. Cold front arriving. And then, very sparse snow grains fell, but not much. Ah, how I love winter.

I hope this year we get a strong winter too, can't wait!
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

You are definitely not missing much without having the snow! It is bloody cold!
battra
Knife
Knife

Post by battra »

I'm in the middle of the USA...which seems to be about the mid point between the equator and the north pole.

If you drive 3 hours north...it's snowy and cold. If you drive three hours south, they're growing cotton.

So...our weather really, really swings.

Our winters go as low as -30F and as high as 115F.

I live in a pothole city.
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

Eclipse wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:15 amMy city, Porto Alegre..
Isn't Ronaldinho from Porto Alegre? Do you know him? 8)
Massed Gadgets
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Massed Gadgets »

It gets so cold here in the winter that sometimes when you head outside, it feels like the air is attacking your face. One year, the temperature got down to -47 C (for reference, that is colder than some places on Mars). But we do have nice summers.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

battra wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 11:04 pm I'm in the middle of the USA...which seems to be about the mid point between the equator and the north pole.

If you drive 3 hours north...it's snowy and cold. If you drive three hours south, they're growing cotton.

So...our weather really, really swings.

Our winters go as low as -30F and as high as 115F.

I live in a pothole city.
Same here.

"Pothole city"...I'm stealing that! :D
Eclipse

Post by Eclipse »

So, no snow, as usual, but a couple of really nice winter events. I really wish to "face" some of the winters from the coldest places of the Northern Hemisphere, someday.
Spring is arriving, and a lot of thunderstorms, and afternoons around 20 - 22 Celsius already.
No more one-digit temperatures until June 2022.

space triangle wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 9:02 am
Eclipse wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:15 amMy city, Porto Alegre..
Isn't Ronaldinho from Porto Alegre? Do you know him? 8)
I guess he is haha But I never met any soccer players nearby. But, what a talented player .
Though I'm not into soccer, I really admire his skills! Or at least the few ones I have watched haha