Richard Wright - Broken China

Discussions about Pink Floyd and Solo Official Album CDs and DVDs.

Rate this album

5 - Best
31%
19%
29%
13%
1 - Worst
9%

Total votes: 70

ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Re: Richard Wright - Broken China

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

Annoying Twit wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:34 pm I've never been much impressed by this apart from 'Breakthrough'. However, I heard a few songs recently and want to re-evaluate it. Problem is: I don't know where my copy is and it's not on Spotify :)
YouTube!

I'm not surprised that I like this album as much as I do; I'm surprised that Gilmour didn't employ Anthony Moore more often, considering the number of other songwriters that he spent time with leading up to Momentary Lapse. Moore ultimately co-wrote three songs on that album, one on the next, and..."Calling" from Endless River, which is odd because not only is it an instrumental, but it also appeared on the soundtrack to Arthur C. Clarke's The Colours of Infinity in 1995, which was credited solely to Gilmour. Moore also wrote the music for (the instrumental) "Runaway" and "Woman of Custom"; Millie Wright's therapist wrote the lyrics for "Hidden Fear" and "Blue Room in Venice".

Of the whole album, I think "Reaching for the Rail" is the closest to classic Pink Floyd - the whole third section of the album, really, but "Far From the Harbour Wall" is a bit of a departure lyrically, and Manu Katché fits in more drum fills than Nick Mason's whole career. Leave it to Rick to be disappointed that they'd stopped making proper concept albums, and effectively say, "No...like this!"

https://youtu.be/N9SKH5rF_c0
rockfenris2005
Axe
Axe

Post by rockfenris2005 »

I really need to hear it a second time. I can't really remember much of it from first listen, but I always remember how moody and atmospheric it was.
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:51 pm
Annoying Twit wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:34 pm I've never been much impressed by this apart from 'Breakthrough'. However, I heard a few songs recently and want to re-evaluate it. Problem is: I don't know where my copy is and it's not on Spotify :)
YouTube!

I'm not surprised that I like this album as much as I do; I'm surprised that Gilmour didn't employ Anthony Moore more often, considering the number of other songwriters that he spent time with leading up to Momentary Lapse. Moore ultimately co-wrote three songs on that album, one on the next, and..."Calling" from Endless River, which is odd because not only is it an instrumental, but it also appeared on the soundtrack to Arthur C. Clarke's The Colours of Infinity in 1995, which was credited solely to Gilmour. Moore also wrote the music for (the instrumental) "Runaway" and "Woman of Custom"; Millie Wright's therapist wrote the lyrics for "Hidden Fear" and "Blue Room in Venice".

Of the whole album, I think "Reaching for the Rail" is the closest to classic Pink Floyd - the whole third section of the album, really, but "Far From the Harbour Wall" is a bit of a departure lyrically, and Manu Katché fits in more drum fills than Nick Mason's whole career. Leave it to Rick to be disappointed that they'd stopped making proper concept albums, and effectively say, "No...like this!"

https://youtu.be/N9SKH5rF_c0
Thanks. Listening to it now. Only about four months after you posted this :)
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

Annoying Twit wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 10:10 pm Thanks. Listening to it now. Only about four months after you posted this :)
The album has aged well.
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 10:11 pm The album has aged well.
I see your point about this sounding like classic PF. A major reason for me never really getting into this album was my disappointment on hearing Rick's voice on it.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

Annoying Twit wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 10:15 pmA major reason for me never really getting into this album was my disappointment on hearing Rick's voice on it.
I think his vocals are amazing on this album. I can understand people being put off by Sinead O'Connor's voice, but at least we know Roger had to sit through it once to make sure none of the songs were about him.
dj865
Blade
Blade

Post by dj865 »

I like the album, but at times Rick's voice and the sombre tone makes me think of a solemn catholic church service, ie not really where I like being transported to!

Sinead's voice however, is top notch

And some lovely drumming by Manu katche helps it along!
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by theaussiefloydian »

dj865 wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 1:57 pm Sinead's voice however, is top notch
Her performance on "Reaching for the Rail" is incredible.
telys
Embryo
Embryo

Post by telys »

Bought this album in late 90's but had difficulties with it, except for 1000 furry toys. It wasn't until 2008, a few months before Ricks death, that I discovered how to listen to the album. I think it's a 100 percent PF concept album. It's the album PF would've made after Animals if Waters had left the band. Regarding the concept it's one of the most coherent. Waters' concepts are always too non-coherent.
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

telys wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:06 am It's the album PF would've made after Animals if Waters had left the band.
See on one hand I would have LOVED to see this album as a full fledged Floyd album, but on the other hand we might have missed out on Sinead O'Connor's vocals on "Reaching for the Rail" and "Breakthrough" so we would have lost something there at least.
telys
Embryo
Embryo

Post by telys »

theaussiefloydian wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:40 am
telys wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:06 am It's the album PF would've made after Animals if Waters had left the band.
See on one hand I would have LOVED to see this album as a full fledged Floyd album, but on the other hand we might have missed out on Sinead O'Connor's vocals on "Reaching for the Rail" and "Breakthrough" so we would have lost something there at least.
It wouldn't have taken much to turn it into a PF album, a few Gilmour licks on the guitar and Mason behind the drums and that's it but perhaps Gilmour's ego wouldn't have coped with a RW written and produced PF album. Anyway I'm grateful Broken China exists, it's the perfect showcase of the 3rd Floyd musical perspective. Waters' perspective reached its peak with The Wall and the Gilmour perspective on TDB (so much great guitar). Rick Wright did Broken China.
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

telys wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:47 pm perhaps Gilmour's ego wouldn't have coped with a RW written and produced PF album
I don't think he'd have had a problem with Wright taking lead on the writing (he's well known to not be as confident on his songwriting as most, which is why Polly has a hand on a lot of The Division Bell), but I reckon he would have insisted on production being a team effort for sure.
telys
Embryo
Embryo

Post by telys »

Just had another listen to Broken China. It's a masterpiece. A Pink Floyd album but in name (if The Final Cut can be a PF album then Broken China can as well). It proved that it was RW who didn't need the others to make a PF album. He engineered the album as well.
dj865
Blade
Blade

Post by dj865 »

It's a good album, but wouldn't say it's a masterpiece. The drumming in it makes it distinctly un-floyd like too.

I do enjoy it though
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

dj865 wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:32 pm The drumming in it makes it distinctly un-floyd like too.
The drum loops are a fascinating part of that album for me - you're totally right in saying they're very un-Floydian. I think my favourite example is on "Runaway" - the drum loop that plays in the left speaker in the intro was interesting, then the main beat being layered on top of it added a nice bit of dimension to the whole thing. It all sounds very close to electronica, and I wonder how far in that direction Wright would have gone had he kept producing solo work.