Running Tally of Unfinished Roger Waters Songs/Projects

All discussion related specifically to Roger Waters.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Running Tally of Unfinished Roger Waters Songs/Projects

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:33 pm His 1999 show near Pittsburgh was the first big concert I attended...I remember him launching his website around that time, and talking about "working on a new album"...

(thanks, Wayback Machine!)

Shout out any songs that haven't been released outside of live or demo versions, and I'll update the list.

Each Small Candle
Flickering Flame
Love In Spite of Traffic
Crystal Clear Brooks
Last edited by ZiggyZipgun on Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Re: Running Tally of Unfinished Roger Waters Songs/Projects

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

Just came across this early version of Lay Down Jerusalem/If I Had Been God/Deja Vu... Jesus Christ.

https://youtu.be/3kLXs4mlYA0
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

Are you involved in any way with Roger's work-in-progress solo album(s)? If so, can you tell us about it?

"The last time we worked on it was during September 11 (THAT Sept. 11) in London. Great songs. I'm sure he'll get back to it when it feels right to him." - Jon Carin, 2007
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

Leaving Beirut
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

drafsack wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:09 pmLeaving Beirut
That was released as a single, along with "To Kill the Child". I think they both had music videos. They're finished.
rockfenris2005
Axe
Axe

Post by rockfenris2005 »

I'd love to know what happened with The Wall musical Roger was writing. It would be awesome to see a script of it.
thefinalmutt
Axe
Axe

Post by thefinalmutt »

I'm pretty sure that Is This The Life We Really Want was originally supposed to be a radio show about an Irish kid & his grandpa set on a quest to find out 'why they're killing the children' and Roger said somewhere that the full version would be released some time in the future ...

also, AUTO!BIO!GRAPHY! :smt038 :smt038 :smt038
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

1994:
In his first American interview this year, Mr. Waters explained that six months ago he began work on a stage adaptation of Pink Floyd's 1979 magnum opus, The Wall.

"Writing The Wall for Broadway or wherever is a very long process," he said this week by telephone from his home in Hampshire, England, "because it means digging very deep into the details of Pink's story." Pink is The Wall's traumatized protagonist. "Although I love the record, I was less in love with the movie," Mr. Waters continued. "I think it lacked humanity and humor, and I think they're both very important to introduce into the piece."

2005:
Whose idea was it to bring The Wall to Broadway?
Well, I was approached by Harvey Weinstein and Tommy Mottola last summer. So I went and had a meeting with them in New York. I had been toying with the idea for a number of years. I think Harvey had been wanting to get into Broadway production for some time. I think they’d been investing in Broadway shows for some time. Harvey is a music guy. I believe his original background is in radio in Albany. He comes from a rock‘n’roll background.

What songs are you going to perform?
Well, I would think most of the songs off The Wall. And some of the other songs: “Money” and “Have a Cigar.”

Are you going to play any of your early songs like those featured in Pink Floyd at Pompeii?
I kind of doubt it. If you were watching, there is a little scene where Adrian Maben, the director, asked me, “What is the music about?” I’m really stoned. I’m just looking at him for a long time. I said, “What do you mean about?” I take a drag from my cigarette. I am refusing to be interviewed. It’s sort of weird humor. That’s the guy (Pink) I want people to see in the theater – sort of a strange Englishness about the character. It’s a sort of particular English humor.

2010:
In a recent interview with the associated press, rock legend Roger Waters of the band Pink Floyd discussed the plans of bringing the band's most celebrated album, The Wall, to a Broadway stage. Waters discussed the progress the show is making, as well as his opinions of the most recent rock album to make it to Broadway, American Idiot.

Waters said of The Wall, "We're on the fourth or fifth version of the book, and trying to write some laughs into it. My one disappointment with the original rock 'n' roll show that we did, and to some extent with the movie as well, there weren't just not many laughs in it. ... Humor is a very important part of my life, so part of the reason for wanting to do a production on Broadway is to express the funny side of the characters."

When asked if he plans to see American Idiot on Broadway, he replied, "It would be remiss of me not to check it out. I don't know the work very well. I am not a very good audience. ...My taste in music is very broad, but it's not very much popular music that I listen to. But when I got this invitation, I did check out some bits of Green Day, and you know, there's some very strong melodies in there."
PooF
Hammer
Hammer

Post by PooF »

Re. Whose idea was it to bring The Wall to Broadway?:
ZiggyZipgun wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:54 pmWell, I was approached by Harvey Weinstein and Tommy Mottola last summer.
Are the underlines yours, and if so, what is their purpose?

edit: I left the poster's name out
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

PooF wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:57 pm Re. Whose idea was it to bring The Wall to Broadway?:
I was pointing to one possible reason that we haven't seen The Wall on Broadway.
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:34 pm
PooF wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:57 pm Re. Whose idea was it to bring The Wall to Broadway?:
I was pointing to one possible reason that we haven't seen The Wall on Broadway.
Yeah, I went from "Actually, yeah! Where is the Broadway- OH!..ohohoh... Right... Yeah." but obviously in faster thought motion.
PooF
Hammer
Hammer

Post by PooF »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:34 pm
How might talking to Weinstein in 2004/5 have been a reason for that?
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

PooF wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:38 amHow might talking to Weinstein in 2004/5 have been a reason for that?
Because Weinstein is currently 1 year into his 23-year prison sentence.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

2000:
Jim Ladd: You have already begun work, I am told, on a new solo project, yes?

Roger Waters: Yes.

JL: And what will be the title and subject of this work, Mr. Waters?

RW: I'm not really sure. I've just done a month's work in compass point in Nassau with the band, who i just told you about. ...And we've cut five tracks, four of which I think have lyrics already and one doesn't have any. One of them is the song "Each Small Candle" that we performed once on the last tour. We did it in Kansas City on the last gig and I thought that that was what the whole record was going to be about - was each small candle - the idea that we all have a responsibility for our own behaviour and everything that everybody does in life impinges on everyone else, broadly.
But some other songs are appearing and they have kind of connections with each other. It seems to be broadening out from the initial concept. Though it may well be that the album will still be called 'Each Small Candle', 'cause I like that title. "Each small candle lights a corner of the dark." But it seems to be about love.

JL: Well, I really like the metaphor of the candle, and the fact that our individual lights, either singularly or combined, should illuminate the dark or the darkness.

RW: I like that idea too, but there's another new song called "The Flickering Flame". It's got a long involved lyric, but the last bit of the lyric says something about what the thing's about as well which is: the last few couplets go: "When my synapses pause in their quest for applause / When my ego lets go of my end of the bone / To focus instead on the love that is precious to me / Then I shall be free."

JL: Damn, that's a great line. Do you have any idea when this will be done? You know, six months, a year, whenever it's done, it's done?

RW: No. I'm working on it...I'm in Paris at the moment working on the opera, but the singer I was supposed to be working with this week who is an American tenor called Paul Groves has sadly got flu - get well soon, Paul! - so I've found myself with a bunch of studio time and nothing much to fill it with. So I'm actually working on these songs now instead of working with him. Then next week I work with Ying Huang, who's a soprano who's doing the opera. So what I'd like to do is finish the lyrics. Maybe write a couple more songs, then go back in with the band, learn them, work out how exactly the whole thing fits together and then re-record everything with the band playing live together. That is the big difference in this record, from my more recent records, is that I'm working with a band, and we play everything together at the same time, which is a discipline I'm really enjoying.

JL: Will you be playing any of the new songs on this upcoming tour?

RW: I will be playing definitely one new song - whether it'll be "Each Small Candle" or one of the others, I'm not sure.
There's another song that I'm thinking I might do live, because I think it could be great live. It's got different sections, and one of the sections is a very uptempo, 7/8th feel thing which is really exciting and I have a lot of ideas of how it might work with a chord and stuff. That seems to be developing a working title of something like "Love in Spite of Traffic" - it's kind of what it's about. I'm not quite sure how it's going to develop. I seem to be...I don't know...my preoccupations are changing as I get older.

JL: And boy, they should be changing. I mean it would be sad if they weren't. You should be growing as a human being and you obviously are.

RW: I am. I mean, I'm 182 pounds now, you know. Only a few years ago I was about 160.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

thefinalmutt wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:28 pmalso, AUTO!BIO!GRAPHY! :smt038 :smt038 :smt038
1992:
"Most of the songs I've written have always followed the lyrics. I've often tailored the music to fit the words, especially something like "Money" or "Mother" from The Wall. But until recently I would never have considered writing prose. I always used to look at books and wonder how anybody could come up with so many words. But my divorce (from Carolyne Waters) and then falling in love with somebody else has released in me an ability to write in other ways apart from songs. I've now written four or five short stories based on events in my life, going back as far as 1960 when I spent some time hitchhiking in the Lebanon. I can't really say much more about them at the moment. But I think they're very good."

With Waters considering the material for publication, would the next step be an autobiography? An opportunity to put across his side of events?

"Oh God, no. It would be too much hard work. I couldn't write an autobiography without going through that whole thing with the band. Frankly I don't give a shit about all that any more. Well, yes I do give a shit actually. I probably always will but I can't face going through it all again."

2015:
"Roger Waters Confirms He's Writing His Autobiography"
https://www.nme.com/news/music/roger-waters-7-1224595