Running Tally of Unfinished Roger Waters Songs/Projects

All discussion related specifically to Roger Waters.
PooF
Hammer
Hammer

Re: Running Tally of Unfinished Roger Waters Songs/Projects

Post by PooF »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:41 am
PooF wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:38 amHow might talking to Weinstein in 2004/5 have been a reason for that?
Because Weinstein is currently 1 year into his 23-year prison sentence.
Yes, that might explain why nothing happened via Weinstein after 2017, but not really before that. It's tenuous at best.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

PooF wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:06 pmYes, that might explain why nothing happened via Weinstein after 2017, but not really before that. It's tenuous at best.
Agreed, I just thought it was worth noting, since it could still affect Roger's future plans for it.
thefinalmutt
Axe
Axe

Post by thefinalmutt »

Hurray !! Not only has he spent lockdown writing his memoir but he's also planning to release it as an audiobook ! <ii> <ii> <ii>

https://youtu.be/7Ov2vrE6RsU?t=4236

1:10:36

(super interesting interview btw)
Last edited by thefinalmutt on Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

thefinalmutt wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:22 pm he's also planning to release it as an audiobook !
I hope he gets Dave Gilmour to do the soundtrack.
Last edited by ZiggyZipgun on Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

He has been writing that memoir/autobiography for a long time I wonder if it will ever see the light of day.

https://www.nme.com/news/music/roger-waters-7-1224595
thefinalmutt
Axe
Axe

Post by thefinalmutt »

Keith Jordan wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:36 pm He has been writing that memoir/autobiography for a long time I wonder if it will ever see the light of day.

https://www.nme.com/news/music/roger-waters-7-1224595
yes, yes it will ! that interview I've just posted is from 5 days ago !
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

thefinalmutt wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:51 pm yes, yes it will ! that interview I've just posted is from 5 days ago !
Well I guess he has had some time on his hands when he isn't shouting politics at the computer webcam! It will be interesting to see his account of matters.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

Keith Jordan wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:36 pmHe has been writing that memoir/autobiography for a long time I wonder if it will ever see the light of day.
thefinalmutt wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:51 pmyes, yes it will ! that interview I've just posted is from 5 days ago !
When he says he's "right in the middle" of working on something, it means it's going to be a while. In 2013 he was "in the middle" of working on his album that came out in 2017; in 2010 he was "in the middle" of re-writing The Wall for Broadway, which has yet to be seen; in 1995 he was "in the middle" of re-writing Ça Ira, which finally premiered in 2005. In hindsight, it's pretty accurate if you look at when he first started the project, but when he says it, he always seems to be implying it will be done soon. If he started writing his autobiography in 2015, we can reasonably hope to have it by 2027, when he's 84.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:14 pm If he started writing his autobiography in 2015, we can reasonably hope to have it by 2027, when he's 84.
I think your deduction is correct! :D

I guess the first 80% of something is easy and the last 20% will take more time. If he is in the middle that is 50% done. There is a long way to go.
thefinalmutt
Axe
Axe

Post by thefinalmutt »

Keith Jordan wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:17 pm There is a long way to go.
ZiggyZipgun wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:14 pm When he says he's "right in the middle" of working on something, it means it's going to be a while. In 2013 he was "in the middle" of working on his album that came out in 2017; in 2010 he was "in the middle" of re-writing The Wall for Broadway, which has yet to be seen; in 1995 he was "in the middle" of re-writing Ça Ira, which finally premiered in 2005. In hindsight, it's pretty accurate if you look at when he first started the project, but when he says it, he always seems to be implying it will be done soon. If he started writing his autobiography in 2015, we can reasonably hope to have it by 2027, when he's 84.
  • ITTLWRW took so long probably because he had been on a long quasi-hiatus since the mid 90s or smthing, releasing only a few songs here & there but without much of a cohesive concept in mind. He had a child in 1997 so one might suppose he just wanted to slow down and have some family time. It took him a while to get the concept for the album together (the whole 'Radio Show' thing w/ the Irish grandpa), and then when he started working with Nigel Godrich the whole storyline was pretty much chucked out the window, which surely meant rethinking the piece altogether & adding more songs where needed, thus further elongating wait time.
  • As previously stated, he was working on the Broadway thing with Weinstein, so the reason why the project has been shelved for a while needs no explanation.
  • I'm not sure about Ça Ira though, maybe Roda-Gil's death in 2004 and Roger's 3rd divorce had something to do with it. All I know is that it wasn't really long-awaited by the fans (according to interviews I've read they didn't seem to care) and it wasn't, if you like, a regular Waters Creation(TM) ; as important as the themes of the opera must have been to him, it wasn't HIS project.
Now. Roger's kids are all grown up, he seems to be in a stable relationship, the memoir is by definition a solo project, and surely one he cares a lot about. With quarantine having allowed Roger more time to both reflect on stories to tell & appreciate the calm, pressure-free activity of writing, with a whole year available before his tour hopefully starts, is it absurd to think that the odds might be on our side this time ? [-o< I'm not thinking super super soon, but like, before 2024... :roll:

Also, I'm pretty sure the series of short stories were the building blocks of the whole memoir thing, and according to your quote, he'd already written a few 19 years ago, so maaaybe he's not that extremely far from the finish line ? He said in another interview he also had poetry to publish, so maybe that counts as ready-made material to bulk up the book ?

We shall see. But as you can tell I'm fairly excited <ii>
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Roger said in the interview…

This memoir that I’m working on I will definitely read it for audio book… I’m right in the middle of it. Part of the positive of covid lock down, I’ve had a lot more time in this house with no golf course to go to, nothing to do, nothing to whatever. I’ve got the whole day, I haven’t got any zooms or this or that or the other, I can go back and write and I just lie down in the library on the sofa with my laptop and go, ‘now where was I’, what should I write you know, and I go to somewhere, and I go oh yeah and I just start writing and I’ve discovered that I’m a writer which is f*****g amazing, you suddenly discover. I mean I’ve written short stories, quite a lot of them, so I knew I could write but I had no idea that I could write thousands of words a day without pausing for breath, and that when I read it back, it made me chuckle or it made me think or it made me feel something or it made me look you know whatever but I can, which is good news!

https://www.neptunepinkfloyd.co.uk/roge ... -the-works
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

thefinalmutt wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:25 pm
  • I'm not sure about Ça Ira though, maybe Roda-Gil's death in 2004 and Roger's 3rd divorce had something to do with it. All I know is that it wasn't really long-awaited by the fans (according to interviews I've read they didn't seem to care) and it wasn't, if you like, a regular Waters Creation(TM) ; as important as the themes of the opera must have been to him, it wasn't HIS project.
He was asked to set the French libretto to music in 1987, and he completed that in 1988; he claimed that no one wanted to stage the opera because "I was English, and I'd been in a rock band," but again, the libretto was in French, and Roda-Gil was a well known screenwriter. Whatever the reason, there was zero interest. In 1989 he began rewriting the whole thing in English (which is the opposite of what anyone wanted), expanding the narrative, and making it an official Roger Waters™ project (which, again, no one asked for). The hour-long documentary included on the Ça Ira DVD was mostly filmed six years later, in 1995, showing him more or less up to his tearducts in music notation software, trying to sort it all out. In nearly every interview he gave between 1990 and 2004, he mentioned the opera that he was still working on. When he did finally release it, it was under his name, and Etienne and Nadine were reduced to footnotes, while all of the artwork for Another Brick in the Wall: The Opera gives Roger top billing, despite having no involvement beyond approving the use of his lyrics.
battra
Knife
Knife

Post by battra »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:34 pm
PooF wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:57 pm Re. Whose idea was it to bring The Wall to Broadway?:
edit: I left the poster's name out
I was pointing to one possible reason that we haven't seen The Wall on Broadway.
Would you WANT to see the Wall on broadway?

I would not...and apparently, I love Broadway.
thefinalmutt
Axe
Axe

Post by thefinalmutt »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:18 pm 1. he claimed that no one wanted to stage the opera because "I was English, and I'd been in a rock band," but again, the libretto was in French, and Roda-Gil was a well known screenwriter.
2. In 1989 he began rewriting the whole thing in English (which is the opposite of what anyone wanted)
3. making it an official Roger Waters™ project (which, again, no one asked for).
4. the Ça Ira DVD was mostly filmed six years later, in 1995, showing him more or less up to his tearducts in music notation software, trying to sort it all out.
5. When he did finally release it, it was under his name, and Etienne and Nadine were reduced to footnotes
6. all of the artwork for Another Brick in the Wall: The Opera gives Roger top billing,
1. François Mittérand, who was the French president at the time, refused to have the opera performed as part of the bicentennial of the Revolution, apparently because he thought using music composed by an Englishman would've been inappropriate. Screenwriter ? I think you meant lyricist ?
2. That's what the label asked him to do, and I'm almost certain that Etienne was fine with it.
3. No one asked for it, so what ? Since when do artists need the public's approval to work on the things they're interested in ?
4. They shelved the project mainly because Etienne's wife died in the meantime... And of course it needed lots of work. It was the first time he'd written a score and those things require specific knowledge of music theory & how an opera works, which he had to learn especially for the project.
5. Almost certainly the record company's decision. While I agree that they should have put Etienne & Nadine on the front cover, it's rather logical as the media they're selling is a musical one, to release it under Roger's name. They sell music, he wrote the music. the Roda-Gil's names should have been in big letters right next to his, though. They were Roger's friends, so I don't see why he wouldn't have agreed to this.
6. You're exaggerating. He's simply credited as author of the original music & lyrics, as he should be, and his name isn't bigger or more noticeable than that of the guy who wrote the opera.
http://divergentemx.com/wp-content/uplo ... 00x445.jpg

I can only admire the dedication you're putting into making Roger look like a complete a$$hole in almost every message you post here. If only you used it for saying sensible stuff. :roll:

battra wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:07 pm Would you WANT to see the Wall on broadway?
I would not...and apparently, I love Broadway.
Good point. I don't see what it would add to the already existing show. (I'm also not really into musicals)

But apart from that... HE'S WORKING ON THE MEMOIR !!! \:D/

21:10
https://www.facebook.com/StevenDonziger ... 864386218/
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

1. He was a lyricist, but he was actually more well known as a screenwriter and film producer.
5. They didn't sell very many, either way.
6. You included a link to the logo of the opera, but please, look at any of the posters that were actually used to advertise the premiere; you'd think he was starring in it.
7. Roger is an asshole.