David Gilmour Rattle That Lock

Discussions about Pink Floyd and Solo Official Album CDs and DVDs.

Rate this Album

5 - Best
10%
29%
32%
16%
1 - Worst
13%

Total votes: 31

ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Re: David Gilmour Rattle That Lock

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:14 pm Well, space triangle...any thoughts?
I meant the bits about Erik Satie. :lol:
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:35 pmI meant the bits about Erik Satie. :lol:
I don't know what exactly to say about all this, Ziggy. Except, if Gilmour pointed to Satie as the influence on those songs here, then I believe him. :)
If Rick Wright could be inspired by Stockhausen on Ummagumma, then why Gilmour would not be influenced by this man(Satie )? Heck, from the band which once used a dogs(Seamus, Mademoiselle Nobs) to sings on their songs, nothing should or could come as a surprise. :D
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

space triangle wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:30 amThis is not Hector Berlioz's or Karlheinz Stockhausen's forum. This is Rock'n'roll's band Pink Floyd forum. :D
space triangle wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:00 pmI have to quote the Rolling Stones along the way: ''It's Only Rock 'n Roll but I like it!'' :D
1990:
Rockline: I was just about to ask but I don't need to now. I was really glad that you included the Scorpions. In that, in talking to them especially before the show, they more than anyone, I think, as far as the performers or anyone in the media, had a real sense of the history of where they were and what was happening, they and Ute Lemper, they really knew what was going on. They kept saying to me "Bob, do you realize where you are sitting. People were dying a couple of years ago, literally right where we are this moment." I think that really opened their eyes and they were very joyous over that weekend. It really meant a lot to them, I think. Were they part of your plans in the beginning, or did they come in later?

Roger Waters: I thought it would be good to have a heavy rock or a heavy metal or I don't know what they call themselves, band doing "In the Flesh" which was written, always, as a parody of that kind of music.

2010:
Roger Waters: We needed a beginning, so I went into a room with a bass guitar and went, 'I need something that's really stupid-sounding. Really loud, monolithic, dumb.' And I've grown rather fond of that riff in the intervening years.
Kerry King
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Kerry King »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:03 pm 2010:
Roger Waters: We needed a beginning, so I went into a room with a bass guitar and went, 'I need something that's really stupid-sounding. Really loud, monolithic, dumb.' And I've grown rather fond of that riff in the intervening years.
The main theme that runs throughout the entire Pros and Cons album is "dumber".
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

Kerry King wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:28 am
ZiggyZipgun wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:03 pm 2010:
The main theme that runs throughout the entire Pros and Cons album is "dumber".
And ripped off from John Lennon's Working Class Hero on Pros and Cons!
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

While I've not put it in the CD player for probably a couple of years now, I have listened to "Rattle That Lock" in its entirety far more times that I listened to "On An Elevator" in its entirety.

It was definitely a better album than I was expecting it to be...and far superior to "The Endless Drivel."
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

mosespa wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:21 pmWhile I've not put it in the CD player for probably a couple of years now, I have listened to "Rattle That Lock" in its entirety far more times that I listened to "On An Elevator" in its entirety.

It was definitely a better album than I was expecting it to be...and far superior to "The Endless Drivel."
I like Rattle That Lock a lot, but I think I still prefer On An Island - particularly the full live version from Gdańsk.

Luckily I've never had to choose, and they all get played regularly in the car and around the house. And just when I start to wonder if I've been overplaying it, my wife will pull in the driveway with "And Then..." blaring like she's testing out new speakers in her Jeep.

But a Roger Waters album, on the other hand? I've rarely had the urge to put one on, and the last time she was in the car when I did, it was vetoed immediately.
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by theaussiefloydian »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:28 pm
I like Rattle That Lock a lot, but I think I still prefer On An Island - particularly the full live version from Gdańsk.

Luckily I've never had to choose, and they all get played regularly in the car and around the house. And just when I start to wonder if I've been overplaying it, my wife will pull in the driveway with "And Then..." blaring like she's testing out new speakers in her Jeep.

But a Roger Waters album, on the other hand? I've rarely had the urge to put one on, and the last time she was in the car when I did, it was vetoed immediately.
I feel much the same. My introduction to On an Island came through a Blu-Ray copy of Remember That Night my teacher loaned me once and it is to this day my favourite David Gilmour album. If I need to just float away to some music, it's a high candidate. Rattle That Lock a little less so, but it still has some damn good moments - "And Then..." is such a beautiful album closer.
As for Roger Waters' solo work I've given him some glowing reviews in the past but these days I rarely have the urge to listen to his stuff. There was a time in high school I could get through all of Amused to Death effortlessly but now it feels a bit more like a chore. The only one I really like these days is Is This the Life We Really Want, but that is in no small way due in part to Nigel Godrich's production on that album. (I am curious as to which of Waters' albums your wife vetoed though :lol: )
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

theaussiefloydian wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:15 pm(I am curious as to which of Waters' albums your wife vetoed though :lol: )
It was Is This the Life We Really Want?, shortly after it came out - but long before that, we'd made it through Pros and Cons and had moved on to Amused to Death, and she didn't turn it off, but simply said, "His solo stuff does nothing for me." I knew she was a keeper!