Pink Floyd The Endless River

Discussions about Pink Floyd and Solo Official Album CDs and DVDs.

Rate this Album

5 - Best
12%
35%
26%
16%
1 - Worst
12%

Total votes: 43

K2+
Axe
Axe

Re: Pink Floyd The Endless River

Post by K2+ »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:29 pm
K2+ wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:11 pm 4. Lots of great music here, some missed opportunities, and absolutely cringe-worthy lyrics on the final track. In an ideal world, they would have had Roger join in, play bass on a few tracks, and write the lyrics for the closing song, maybe sing it with David. That would have been a perfect way to end the band's legacy IMO. I'm sure David had no interest in collaborating with Roger in any capacity though, so we got what we got.
Roger hasn't written in a style suitable for Pink Floyd since he left, and he rarely played bass on their albums anyway.
Good points, I suppose it's just the dreamer in me that wishes he had been involved in some way on the last PF studio album.
Flame-Sky Diver
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Flame-Sky Diver »

The more I listen to it, the more I think they should have cut it down and perhaps released only the best bits, leaving the rest as bonus material, or even release it all in some Division Bell box set... (but I get the business advantages of releasing a NEW Pink Floyd album...). It's a mess. Although they clearly tried hard to turn it into something, they only partially succeeded. Some of the bits don't work together. For example the nice Saucerful-like second movement has a very weak finale and Louder Than Words is not a very strong song to end with. And while I enjoy Autumn 68, I wish they'd given us the whole tape as it was...

This album was asking for a nasty comment from Roger, but I guess he's mellowed over the years, because AMLOR and TDB are masterpieces musically and lyrically compared to TER. It's hard to make a good album by editing and overdubbing unfinished scraps...
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by theaussiefloydian »

Flame-Sky Diver wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:58 pm The more I listen to it, the more I think they should have cut it down and perhaps released only the best bits, leaving the rest as bonus material, or even release it all in some Division Bell box set...
I can understand that point of view, but some of the suites I feel really do work - the first and the second one flow together really nicely I feel. Suite three and four less so.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

I have a "Later Years" playlist that has Division Bell and Endless River intermingled, along with Broken China and bits of On An Island, Rattle That Lock, and even a couple from Momentary Lapse. It all plays very well together.

Some files aren't on Spotify (Broken China, "Island Jam"), but they should still be listed:
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:01 pm I have a "Later Years" playlist that has Division Bell and Endless River intermingled, along with Broken China and bits of On An Island, Rattle That Lock, and even a couple from Momentary Lapse. It all plays very well together.
Interesting playlist! I especially like the idea of Interlude and Red Sky at Night playing into each other. I have half a mind to edit the tracks seamlessly to see how that would sound :lol:
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

theaussiefloydian wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:47 pm Interesting playlist! I especially like the idea of Interlude and Red Sky at Night playing into each other. I have half a mind to edit the tracks seamlessly to see how that would sound :lol:
Spotify has an option for crossfading up to 12 seconds, but that could get pretty messy with some albums.

(EDIT: 3 seconds works pretty well; any more than that is distracting.)
Flame-Sky Diver
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Flame-Sky Diver »

theaussiefloydian wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:20 pm
Flame-Sky Diver wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:58 pm The more I listen to it, the more I think they should have cut it down and perhaps released only the best bits, leaving the rest as bonus material, or even release it all in some Division Bell box set...
I can understand that point of view, but some of the suites I feel really do work - the first and the second one flow together really nicely I feel. Suite three and four less so.
Yes, the first two suites work much better for me as well, except for Anisina.
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

Flame-Sky Diver wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:41 am
theaussiefloydian wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:20 pm I can understand that point of view, but some of the suites I feel really do work - the first and the second one flow together really nicely I feel. Suite three and four less so.
Yes, the first two suites work much better for me as well, except for Anisina.
Understandable - that one does sound an awful lot like an old sitcom outro or something.
moodyblue
Hammer
Hammer

Post by moodyblue »

I still haven't listened to this yet or rather, I've heard 'Louder Than Words' and maybe one and a half tracks, but I've not yet played the album, despite buying it when it first came out. I'm treating it like a fine wine and will play it on the right occasion.
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

moodyblue wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:10 pmI'm treating it like a fine wine. [/color]
8)

ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

moodyblue wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:10 pmI'm treating it like a fine wine and will play it on the right occasion.
Don't put it off too long, or that occasion with be when Dave or Nick dies.

I recommend listening to one "side" at a time. If you were underwhelmed by "Louder Than Words", start with "Calling" and swap the last track with "High Hopes".
DarkSideFreak
Knife
Knife

Post by DarkSideFreak »

Just relistened to the album. Still pretty magical although I found myself distracted after a while... damn internet :roll: But there are plenty of goosebump moments here for me. Forever grateful to what's left of the band for releasing this. [-D-]
ZiggyZipgun wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:01 pm I have a "Later Years" playlist that has Division Bell and Endless River intermingled, along with Broken China and bits of On An Island, Rattle That Lock, and even a couple from Momentary Lapse. It all plays very well together.

Some files aren't on Spotify (Broken China, "Island Jam"), but they should still be listed:
For some reason there is only a picture, but I quickly found it. In case anyone isn't so tech-savvy, here's the link: https://open.spotify.com/playlist/7ADXd ... 34135d4358

Edit: ZiggyZipgun, the version of OAI you used in the playlist has a few tracks greyed out (at least in Germany). Could you use this source instead? https://open.spotify.com/album/7oF6yh1O ... UA8sdJFUNQ

This was my "Division River" playlist, btw:

Cluster One
It's What We Do
Night Light
What Do You Want From Me?
Surfacing
Poles Apart
Marooned
A Great Day for Freedom
Things Left Unsaid
Ebb and Flow
The Lost Art of Conversation
On Noodle Street
Wearing the Inside Out
Anisina
Sum
Take It Back
Skins
Unsung
Coming Back to Life
Eyes to Pearls
Allons-y (1)/Autumn '68/Allons-y (2)
Calling
Keep Talking
Talkin' Hawkin'
Lost for Words
High Hopes
Louder than Words
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

DarkSideFreak wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:43 pm ZiggyZipgun, the version of OAI you used in the playlist has a few tracks greyed out (at least in Germany). Could you use this source instead?
The version you linked to has "Take a Breath", "This Heaven", and "Then I Close My Eyes" greyed out for me. Which ones are you missing?
DarkSideFreak
Knife
Knife

Post by DarkSideFreak »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:09 pm
DarkSideFreak wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:43 pm ZiggyZipgun, the version of OAI you used in the playlist has a few tracks greyed out (at least in Germany). Could you use this source instead?
The version you linked to has "Take a Breath", "This Heaven", and "Then I Close My Eyes" greyed out for me. Which ones are you missing?
The same three :lol:

Oh well, I guess that is unsolvable...
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

Flame-Sky Diver wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:58 pmIt's hard to make a good album by editing and overdubbing unfinished scraps...
Unfinished, yes...scraps, no. This was music they had wanted to put out at the time, but decided not to since the album and tour had been announced pretty far in advance and certain dates were locked in, just like what happened with some of the last-minute edits to The Wall. Had they decided to include it, they would've spent several more months editing and overdubbing; waiting twenty years to do it meant they had to do it without Rick, but they also had to work around Division Bell's tracklist, which was then set in stone. Still, some of the transitions on Endless River are nearly identical to parts of Division Bell, suggesting that either they were originally intended to fit together, or it was cleverly designed to also work with a combined tracklist. "Louder Than Words" is a skosh predictable, yes - but "Surfacing" segues just as smoothly into "High Hopes". I would've preferred an official, expanded version of Division Bell, but this is the same music that would've been on it.