Pink Floyd - The Wall

Discussions about Pink Floyd and Solo Official Album CDs and DVDs.

Rate This Album

5 - Best
54%
23%
14%
3%
1 - Worst
5%

Total votes: 147

theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

Re: Pink Floyd - The Wall

Post by theaussiefloydian »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:49 am you and I, as 12-year-old kids, certainly never sussed out, such as the teacher being a WWII vet with PTSD, or Poe's Conqueror Worm as a psychological condition.
Admittedly, the detail about the teacher's past isn't overtly relevant to the original album version. The reason "Teacher, Teacher" ended up being ditched is for that very reason. All that really matters for the album (and the movie really) is that the teacher is a scumbag and his actions are a major point in driving Pink into himself.
And I don't think the "Conqueror Worm" is necessarily something we're supposed to pick up on either, assuming that's what Waters was going for. The worms just mean mental decay. It's not a very deep metaphor, but it's functional. And Waters admits to them being cut back from the album a fair bit, but the line on "Hey You" and all of "Waiting for the Worms" make the point well enough.
ZiggyZipgun wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:49 am And this isn't intentional subtlety, because the guy fucking hates mystery
I'd like a source on him saying he hates mystery, but from his lyrics alone I'd agree that subtlety isn't exactly his driving force on his albums for sure.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

theaussiefloydian wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:40 pmAdmittedly, the detail about the teacher's past isn't overtly relevant to the original album version. The reason "Teacher, Teacher" ended up being ditched is for that very reason. All that really matters for the album (and the movie really) is that the teacher is a scumbag and his actions are a major point in driving Pink into himself.
"Teacher, Teacher" ("The Hero's Return") and four other tracks on The Final Cut were all originally part of it, because it is the same character, to the point that he cast the same people as the teacher and his wife for the short film. In the 2004 interview for Uncut, he explained that they're all the same character, because many of the teachers at the school he attended were veterans with nowhere else to work, but more teachers were needed due of the baby boom.
theaussiefloydian wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:40 pm I'd like a source on him saying he hates mystery, but from his lyrics alone I'd agree that subtlety isn't exactly his driving force on his albums for sure.
Alright, that was a little redundant. He was very bothered by fans misinterpreting his lyrics, and made a point to be more direct starting with Dark Side of the Moon. He was then bothered by the tens of thousands of fans that would attend their shows and loved the albums, but "just didn't get it." Which..."And that's one of the reasons I left the band - there were larger and larger numbers of people who just didn’t get it." Okay, but why did he expect and/or want that number of people to turn up for his solo shows?
Kerry King
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Kerry King »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:54 pm He was very bothered by fans misinterpreting his lyrics, and made a point to be more direct starting with Dark Side of the Moon. He was then bothered by the tens of thousands of fans that would attend their shows and loved the albums, but "just didn't get it." Which..."And that's one of the reasons I left the band - there were larger and larger numbers of people who just didn’t get it." Okay, but why did he expect and/or want that number of people to turn up for his solo shows?
That's a good point. Although Amused To Death gets a bit obscure at times. Kaos is a little murky, too. In Pros and Cons, when Yoko Ono shows up somewhere near the Eastern Seaboard, I detect a small amount of subtlety in the lyrics. How many fans who only care about The Wall and DSOTM would realize the extreme harshness in Water's indictment of Yoko, with his reference to selling tickets while the buzzards circle over the body? Who has seen the film Shane? I've known casual American music fans who think "Hey You Whitehouse " must be a reference to Jimmy Carter. lol. I don't bother correcting/informing these people...
Last edited by Kerry King on Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by theaussiefloydian »

Kerry King wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:00 am I've known casual American music fans who think "Hey You Whitehouse " must be a reference to Jimmy Carter. lol.
I mean to be fair they probably don't have the social context to know who Mary Whitehouse is so defaulting to "it's about the White House" is understandable. Heck if it weren't for the fact that Whitehouse is well hated in the Doctor Who community for being at least partially responsible for parts of it being sanitized in the late 70s I would have had to look up who Waters meant there.
Kerry King
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Kerry King »

^ Right. I looked it up.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

Kerry King wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:00 am I've known casual American music fans who think "Hey You Whitehouse " must be a reference to Jimmy Carter. lol.
He also refers to her in "What God Wants" - God wants 'Clean Up Rock' campaigns!

Also, today is Polly Samson's birthday, and yes, the Pink Floyd Facebook post got its usual share of "Yoko" comments.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

Kerry King wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:00 amWho has seen the film Shane?
I've seen Shane! I'm sure I saw it the whole way through when I was very little, but caught bits and pieces on a regular basis since my dad always has old westerns playing, even though he conks out ten minutes in. Curiously, Jack Palance was the bad guy in that film, and the Hell's Angel on Pros and Cons - I believe the bike in the video is a '60s XLCH Sportster (I have a '68).

Another fun bit of trivia: Jack Palance's daughter played the nanny in The Omen - "It's all for you, Damien!"

Do you guys ever get the feeling that Roger just sits around watching television all day?
battra
Knife
Knife

Post by battra »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:19 am
He also refers to her in "What God Wants" - God wants 'Clean Up Rock' campaigns!

Also, today is Polly Samson's birthday, and yes, the Pink Floyd Facebook post got its usual share of "Yoko" comments.
Why on earth would anybody think that??

She was 19 when the Floyd Trouble started and wasn't a part of anything until nearly 15 years later.

Sometimes I really hate people.
Kerry King
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Kerry King »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:39 am Who has seen the film Shane?

I've seen Shane! I'm sure I saw it the whole way through when I was very little, but caught bits and pieces on a regular basis since my dad always has old westerns playing, even though he conks out ten minutes in. Curiously, Jack Palance was the bad guy in that film, and the Hell's Angel on Pros and Cons - I believe the bike in the video is a '60s XLCH Sportster (I have a '68).

Another fun bit of trivia: Jack Palance's daughter played the nanny in The Omen - "It's all for you, Damien!"
I remembered Palance was the bad guy in Shane but I forgot he was on the album. I remember the scene from The Omen. The noose.
ZiggyZipgun wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:39 am Do you guys ever get the feeling that Roger just sits around watching television all day?
With a pen and pad in hand. I do like the television audio clips on The Wall album. Always thought that was cool.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:19 amAlso, today is Polly Samson's birthday, and yes, the Pink Floyd Facebook post got its usual share of "Yoko" comments.
battra wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:43 pm Why on earth would anybody think that??

She was 19 when the Floyd Trouble started and wasn't a part of anything until nearly 15 years later.

"We came to an agreement that I would write these things, but my name would never go on it. I mean, I was really happy to be paid, but for some reason I had this terror that the world was going to point at me and call me Yoko Ono. When I think about that now, I know that’s madness, because what would be wrong with being Yoko Ono! She’s a woman in her 80s who is still producing innovative art! David went, ‘Oh, don’t worry about it, you don’t have to have your name on it,’ so I quite happily wrote some stuff, knowing that no one would ever know. But when it came to it, he said to me, ‘Well, I’m sorry, but your name is going on it.’ We argued a bit, and he said, ‘There will come a time when you will thank me, I know you feel uncomfortable now, but in the end you will be glad.’ And as usual, he was right, because I’m really proud of those lyrics."

"After Division Bell came out, [Roger] was asked if he’d heard the album, and his response was, ‘Yeah. Getting the wife to write the lyrics: how tragic is that?’ I remember being quite upset. Now I just think it was appalling of him. Imagine someone saying that now. What disqualifies someone? Is it being female? Is it being married? I’ve been a writer all my life. Why would I not be able to do this because I got married? It’s wifeism, really. I suspect it was sour grapes."
battra
Knife
Knife

Post by battra »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 12:53 pm
ZiggyZipgun wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:19 amAlso, today is Polly Samson's birthday, and yes, the Pink Floyd Facebook post got its usual share of "Yoko" comments.
battra wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:43 pm Why on earth would anybody think that??

"We came to an agreement that I would write these things, but my name would never go on it. I mean, I was really happy to be paid, but for some reason I had this terror that the world was going to point at me and call me Yoko Ono. When I think about that now, I know that’s madness, because what would be wrong with being Yoko Ono! She’s a woman in her 80s who is still producing innovative art! David went, ‘Oh, don’t worry about it, you don’t have to have your name on it,’ so I quite happily wrote some stuff, knowing that no one would ever know. But when it came to it, he said to me, ‘Well, I’m sorry, but your name is going on it.’ We argued a bit, and he said, ‘There will come a time when you will thank me, I know you feel uncomfortable now, but in the end you will be glad.’ And as usual, he was right, because I’m really proud of those lyrics."

"After Division Bell came out, [Roger] was asked if he’d heard the album, and his response was, ‘Yeah. Getting the wife to write the lyrics: how tragic is that?’ I remember being quite upset. Now I just think it was appalling of him. Imagine someone saying that now. What disqualifies someone? Is it being female? Is it being married? I’ve been a writer all my life. Why would I not be able to do this because I got married? It’s wifeism, really. I suspect it was sour grapes."
I have no idea what you're trying to say, but as you didn't say anything...it's not really a shocker.

Use your words and let's have a talk here, buddy.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

battra wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 10:30 pm I have no idea what you're trying to say, but as you didn't say anything...it's not really a shocker.
I agree that it doesn't make any sense for people to compare her to Yoko Ono, but not only were they concerned about that from the beginning, she now doesn't take it as an insult.
battra
Knife
Knife

Post by battra »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 1:06 am
battra wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 10:30 pm I have no idea what you're trying to say, but as you didn't say anything...it's not really a shocker.
I agree that it doesn't make any sense for people to compare her to Yoko Ono, but not only were they concerned about that from the beginning, she now doesn't take it as an insult.
There you go.

If I wasn't clear...

It's not even appropriate as she wasn't even in the picture when the breakup happened.

Stupid.

The whole thing is stupid
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

Anyone ever notice how similar the melody, harmonies, and chord progressions of "The Show Must Go On" and "Waiting for the Worms" are to "The Narrow Way, Part 3"?
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

theaussiefloydian wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:07 am
I mean to be fair they probably don't have the social context to know who Mary Whitehouse is so defaulting to "it's about the White House" is understandable. Heck if it weren't for the fact that Whitehouse is well hated in the Doctor Who community for being at least partially responsible for parts of it being sanitized in the late 70s I would have had to look up who Waters meant there.
When I recorded a cover of "Pigs (Three Different Ones)" for "None Of Us Is Pink," I knew (thanks to reading many Floyd biographies,) who Mary Whitehouse was; but I decided to take advantage of the fact that Americans are going to think it's a reference to the structure and the time in which that collection was being put together and changed "Mary, you're nearly a treat" to "Georgie, you're really a treat."

Also, I just wanted to make fun of the stupidest President the US had ever had...until this present train-wreck "won" the election.