Your favourite Wish You Were Here LIVE

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
Yucateco
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Your favourite Wish You Were Here LIVE

Post by Yucateco »

This might be fun and could be done with other albums too (Dark Side might be interesting)... Post your favourite live versions of the album, but only official releases by Pink Floyd or solo are allowed. Which one is your favourite, what would make it on the "definite" live album?:

Shine on you crazy diamond I-V
Delicate Sound of Thunder - For me as probably for many the first live version I heard of this song. I still think it sounds best on this release. In the Flesh as a close second, because of the added jam.

Welcome to the Machine
Us & Them. I love the added shouting at the end and it was so powerful live. One of the highlights of the first half of the concert.The band "freezing" at the end is also a nice touch.

Have A Cigar
Huh? the only song from WYWH without an official live release? Really?

Wish you were here
P.U.L.S.E. . they just did everything right there

Shine on you crazy diamond VI-IX
David Gilmour in Concert. the only live release and thankfully a really good and different one

Honorable mention:
Shine On as one piece
Wembley 74 - What a great early version of the song. Also very interesting to compare with the later versions as this is the only officially available version with only the 4 Floyds and no additional musicians (Sax excluded)
ChillOnTheSun
Embryo
Embryo

Re: Your favourite Wish You Were Here LIVE

Post by ChillOnTheSun »

Strange, that Shine On on Delicate Sound I've found the weakest. Due to cheesy solo keyboard sound. It just sounds as cheap preset from cheap keyboard. I've found the version from Wembley '74 the best. So different, the intro synth sounds as some Native Indian flute improvisation.
Kerry King
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Kerry King »

Boston 1977
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

Best 'Have A Cigar' live version: Roger Waters – Live Radio - Quebec Broadcast 1987
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

Welcome to the Machine - The best is DSOT David's vocals are so raw and powerful and they nailed it on that tour and it had cool stage lighting effects which suited the song perfectly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFn1VA2Mle8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ak02mP57aNQ

I agree with Wish You Were Here and the Pulse version

Shine On You Crazy Diamond - Its either Pulse or David's 2006 version for me the OAI reworked intro to me it made the song take on a completely different vibe it became rather haunting and more powerful and Ricks playing added too the change and tone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSB9_OBnteY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uiVpxDuAhc
Yucateco
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by Yucateco »

Kerry King wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 5:50 pm Boston 1977
Good choice but not an official release
space triangle wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 6:38 pm Best 'Have A Cigar' live version: Roger Waters – Live Radio - Quebec Broadcast 1987
Thought of it too, but it is not official. Although apparently semi-official now that it streamed in Rogers channel on Amazon Prime.
azza200 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 9:23 pm
Shine On You Crazy Diamond - Its either Pulse or David's 2006 version for me the OAI reworked intro to me it made the song take on a completely different vibe it became rather haunting and more powerful and Ricks playing added too the change and tone.
I liked the wine glass intro too, but I really thought he sucked out all the energy of the song when the singing kicked in and it was only him, no drums no nothing. I didn´t like that version very much.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

ChillOnTheSun wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 4:29 pm I've found the version from Wembley '74 the best. So different, the intro synth sounds as some Native Indian flute improvisation.
Rick also references several melodies from Syd's songs at the end of "Shine On", not just "See Emily Play" - which also debunks the theory that he added that after Syd's visit(s) to Abbey Road in 1975.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

azza200 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 9:23 pm Shine On You Crazy Diamond - Its either Pulse or David's 2006 version for me the OAI reworked intro to me it made the song take on a completely different vibe it became rather haunting and more powerful and Ricks playing added too the change and tone.
Yucateco wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 8:12 am I liked the wine glass intro too, but I really thought he sucked out all the energy of the song when the singing kicked in and it was only him, no drums no nothing. I didn´t like that version very much.
I think the best version was in Venice, where he hired a local street performer that they met earlier that same day. It was released on Disc 5 of the Deluxe Edition of Live in Gdańsk.

https://youtu.be/o5KC1jVvZpo
ChillOnTheSun
Embryo
Embryo

Post by ChillOnTheSun »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 8:18 am
ChillOnTheSun wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 4:29 pm I've found the version from Wembley '74 the best. So different, the intro synth sounds as some Native Indian flute improvisation.
Rick also references several melodies from Syd's songs at the end of "Shine On", not just "See Emily Play" - which also debunks the theory that he added that after Syd's visit(s) to Abbey Road in 1975.
I analyzed every Rick's solo and I did not find any Syd's snippet of melody except the line "Emily tries but misunderstood". So I think it is just some myth.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 8:18 am Rick also references several melodies from Syd's songs at the end of "Shine On", not just "See Emily Play" - which also debunks the theory that he added that after Syd's visit(s) to Abbey Road in 1975.
ChillOnTheSun wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 7:30 pm I analyzed every Rick's solo and I did not find any Syd's snippet of melody except the line "Emily tries but misunderstood". So I think it is just some myth.
He starts with 'Emily tries, but misunderstands', but the next line is the 'On the wall hung a tall mirror' from "Arnold Layne", followed by a descending line that may be 'I've got a bike, you can ride it if you like' - but it's a little hard to recognize with the amount of portamento he has turned up on the Minimoog; he's also playing them all in the key of G major after the Picardy third that marks the beginning of that section.

https://youtu.be/QLWA76PCCr8?t=1120
penguinzzz
Axe
Axe

Post by penguinzzz »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 7:56 pm
ZiggyZipgun wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 8:18 am Rick also references several melodies from Syd's songs at the end of "Shine On", not just "See Emily Play" - which also debunks the theory that he added that after Syd's visit(s) to Abbey Road in 1975.
ChillOnTheSun wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 7:30 pm I analyzed every Rick's solo and I did not find any Syd's snippet of melody except the line "Emily tries but misunderstood". So I think it is just some myth.
He starts with 'Emily tries, but misunderstands', but the next line is the 'On the wall hung a tall mirror' from "Arnold Layne", followed by a descending line that may be 'I've got a bike, you can ride it if you like' - but it's a little hard to recognize with the amount of portamento he has turned up on the Minimoog; he's also playing them all in the key of G major after the Picardy third that marks the beginning of that section.

https://youtu.be/QLWA76PCCr8?t=1120
By the US tour he had added a few others. The 'Bike' line is always a bit nebulous but it's followed here by "I want to tell you a story' (The Gnome), 'The black and green scarecrow', then Arnold and Emily. Gilmour often adds the opening two notes of Arnold but I think he comes in too early here.

https://youtu.be/By9u8JAf56E?t=651
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

Did Knebworth 1975 get recorded and bootlegged?
penguinzzz
Axe
Axe

Post by penguinzzz »

Jimi Dean Barrett wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 1:19 pm Did Knebworth 1975 get recorded and bootlegged?
Yes there are a few recordings - none particularly great - and a few minutes of video. Aside from the uniqueness of Roy Harper's appearance, there's little to recommend the show over the very good US recordings from a few weeks before. Road Manager Mick Kluczynski described Knebworth as one of PF's two worst ever gigs (not sure what the other one was!)
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by theaussiefloydian »

What I'd love to see is an official release of one of the Wish You Were Here performances from the In the Flesh tour cleaned up and released. I've been listening to the Oakland concert and "Shine On You Crazy Diamond, Part VIII" is just phenomenal.
However my favourite live performance of "Welcome to the Machine" will probably always be that version on the 2019 Delicate Sound of Thunder mix. I fell in love with that performance almost instantly.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

theaussiefloydian wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 5:45 pm What I'd love to see is an official release of one of the Wish You Were Here performances from the In the Flesh tour cleaned up and released. I've been listening to the Oakland concert and "Shine On You Crazy Diamond, Part VIII" is just phenomenal.
The Oakland Coliseum show definitely has all of my favorite "Wish You Were Here" guitar work, and Snowy's leads on "Have a Cigar" are equally amazing. Based on Nick's comments regarding the lack of available material for the Animals Immersion set, they either don't feel the recording quality is up to snuff, or the process of restoring the audio is what's holding up its release.

https://youtu.be/joa_A-LcqZI
https://youtu.be/UXFn2VdAjJE