Pink Floyd - The Final Cut

Discussions about Pink Floyd and Solo Official Album CDs and DVDs.

Rate This Album

5 - Best
27%
26%
20%
12%
1 - Worst
16%

Total votes: 141

ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Re: Pink Floyd - The Final Cut

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

theaussiefloydian wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:57 pmI think it will continue to very much depend on the preference of the artist.
Agreed, and anyone is lazy enough to put filler on an EP, then they'll be no better off anyway.

Belle and Sebastian has a long history of putting out 3- or 4-song EPs, usually right around 12 minutes total, in between full albums, and then every so often, they'll just compile them onto full album in chronological order, and it always turns out nicely.
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:33 am Even KAOS would've been better as an EP
What's you thought of 'Radio Kaos video'? It's like (sort of) Radio KAOS EP. Only the four songs.

Radio Waves
Sunset Strip
Four Minutes
The Tide Is Turning (After Live Aid)

(Roger Waters – Radio Kaos video thread)
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=22936
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

space triangle wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:28 pmWhat's you thought of 'Radio Kaos video'?
Me, personally?

I feel that I've given everything KAOS-related the old "college try", a "fair shake", or any other applicable idioms - I've just never found anything to like about it, as a whole or in the individual songs. And, as some here have pointed out, "The Tide is Turning" isn't even part of the concept. So...I'm sure it could be improved, as an album or an EP, if he'd just stop rapping and get to the point.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

theaussiefloydian wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:57 pmI find this an interesting point, and it does seem a lot of artists are focusing more on singles and such these days.
It's definitely a conscious trend, since many artists and producers that are focused on streaming services aren't willing to spend time and money on a dozen songs if most people are just going to cherry-pick half of them for their playlists. Trent Reznor recently put out what was really an EP, but classified it as an album so it wouldn't get overlooked on the singles and EPs chart. Some have tried going the opposite route, putting out albums with 20 to 30 tracks, betting that fans will cherry-pick more of their songs, and push their name further up in the rankings. Even with vinyl making a comeback, there's still not a lot of incentive to make traditional 44-minute albums, since shorter ones would benefit from better sound quality and bass response, and everything seems to go on longer when you're high.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

I think Roger's 1984 tour should've had all of Pros and Cons for the first set, and all of The Final Cut for the second set, each with their own visuals. Double concept tour. With the crew and logistics assembled, it would've been fairly easy to even have David and Nick involved for that portion - maybe even an orchestra like David's shows in Gdańsk and Wrocław.
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

Roger would of not liked that idea especially what his ego was like back then and how bad tension was between them all while making TFC the trailers facing away from each other. That was breaking point for David that album he did not enjoy it all
Last edited by azza200 on Tue May 04, 2021 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
battra
Knife
Knife

Post by battra »

The point was made in this thread recently about how the Final Cut lacked a lot of drumming...

I'd never noticed it...but the last time I spun it...damn...there really was a lot missing.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

azza200 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 8:47 pm Roger would of not liked that idea especially what his ego was like back then and how bad tension was between them all while making TFC the trailers facing away from each other. That was breaking point for David that album he did not enjoy it all
The circle of Winnebagos with the doors facing outward was on the original Wall tour. Roger was also arriving at the shows separately via helicopter, because that money wasn't going to burn itself. And yet, they stuck it out and worked together regularly for two more years! A limited tour with other musicians doing most of the work doesn't seem like anything they couldn't handle.
battra wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 10:33 pm The point was made in this thread recently about how the Final Cut lacked a lot of drumming...

I'd never noticed it...but the last time I spun it...damn...there really was a lot missing.
Exactly - I'm sure they could've Scarfed up some interesting visuals and delegated most of the performance to conductor Michael Kamen, with Gilmour and Mason each coming out for three or four songs. A proper presentation of The Final Cut could've saved it from relative obscurity, or at least split the difference with Pros and Cons so they'd both sell a couple million copies. Even now (or maybe twenty years ago), it could make for an interesting show. I'd really like to hear Gilmour sing the high parts on "Fletcher Memorial Home" and "The Final Cut", because he'd nail it.
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 1:22 am
azza200 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 8:47 pm Roger would of not liked that idea especially what his ego was like back then and how bad tension was between them all while making TFC the trailers facing away from each other. That was breaking point for David that album he did not enjoy it all
The circle of Winnebagos with the doors facing outward was on the original Wall tour. Roger was also arriving at the shows separately via helicopter, because that money wasn't going to burn itself. And yet, they stuck it out and worked together regularly for two more years! A limited tour with other musicians doing most of the work doesn't seem like anything they couldn't handle.
my mistake getting that mixed up.
battra
Knife
Knife

Post by battra »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 1:22 am Exactly - I'm sure they could've Scarfed up some interesting visuals and delegated most of the performance to conductor Michael Kamen, with Gilmour and Mason each coming out for three or four songs. A proper presentation of The Final Cut could've saved it from relative obscurity, or at least split the difference with Pros and Cons so they'd both sell a couple million copies. Even now (or maybe twenty years ago), it could make for an interesting show. I'd really like to hear Gilmour sing the high parts on "Fletcher Memorial Home" and "The Final Cut", because he'd nail it.
I enjoy the record, but I can accept it's not the best it could be.
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by theaussiefloydian »

battra wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 10:33 pm The point was made in this thread recently about how the Final Cut lacked a lot of drumming...

Thing is for the most part it works OK for the album. The ending stretch of Side 1 is a little aggravating in that respect (and the pacing is made worse by the addition of "When the Tigers Broke Free" post 2004, which is why I prefer to listen to the 1983 tracklist of that album), but for the most part Side 2 works with the more sparing use of drums, probably because we do get a track where Nick gets to play through the whole track ("Not Now John"). However I would like to know what the album might have sounded like if Nick were more present on it.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

battra wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 12:01 amI enjoy the record, but I can accept it's not the best it could be.
I think the record is fine, I just think Roger should've performed it live. It's essentially "chamber rock", which would've been interesting in a high-brow, theatrical setting.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

theaussiefloydian wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 12:23 amHowever I would like to know what the album might have sounded like if Nick were more present on it.
Nick's typical drumming would've highlighted the similarities of many if those songs, and the fact that it is mostly the same tune. Michael Kamen worked wonders rearranging some of the music, but that really wouldn't have changed the drums unless Nick went out of character or they'd used some electronic percussion. I'm sure someone here has the capability to overdub some drum loops...anyone?
battra
Knife
Knife

Post by battra »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 3:16 am
battra wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 12:01 amI enjoy the record, but I can accept it's not the best it could be.
I think the record is fine, I just think Roger should've performed it live. It's essentially "chamber rock", which would've been interesting in a high-brow, theatrical setting.
Oh, I enjoy it...

But it's like a medium well steak...

Could've been medium rare.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

battra wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 11:35 pmOh, I enjoy it...

But it's like a medium well steak...

Could've been medium rare.
Your meat analogy just made me think of Kurt Loder's Pros and Cons review:

"The Pros and Cons of Hitch Hiking suggests several things. First, that the most important musical component of Pink Floyd is actually guitarist David Gilmour (whose latest solo album assumes new luster in comparison to this turkey)."